Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

love relentlessly

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited January 2014 in Philosophy
This
love relentlessly
was advice in another thread . . .

Can we? How? What does it mean in a Buddhist/spiritual/dharma context? Should we on occasion practice tough love? Is all love tough? Should we be gentle?

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Tough love is particularly important when you have kids for sure.......
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

IMO
    Tough love compared to gentle love just describes the different time frames we focus on.

Tough love says, "this will help you in the long run."
    Gentle love says, "how can I help you right now"
    BunksVastmindlobstermfranzdorf
    Wow. That's pretty heavy @Hamsaka.

I watched a documentary the other night highlighting the prejudice gay people still face in certain parts of the world. There was a mother on telling how her fourteen year old son was physically and mentally tortured by three men for two hours then strangled to death with his own t shirt at a party because he came across as camp.

I cant help but feel if that were my child I would do everything in my power to kill those responsible but would that do any good?
  • Bunks said:

I cant help but feel if that were my child I would do everything in my power to kill those responsible but would that do any good?

I suppose we love the self justified murderer.
    They killed my children, humiliated my mule etc.
    http://www.hark.com/clips/yggsssmbtj-my-mule-thinks-youre-laughing-at-him

And now back to the good, the bad and the ugly . . . :wave:
    lobster said:

Bunks said:

I suppose we love the self justified murderer.
    They killed my children, humiliated my mule etc.
    http://www.hark.com/clips/yggsssmbtj-my-mule-thinks-youre-laughing-at-him

And now back to the good, the bad and the ugly . . . :wave:
    You continue to surprise and delight @Lobster :thumbsup:
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Bunks said:

Wow. That's pretty heavy @Hamsaka.

I watched a documentary the other night highlighting the prejudice gay people still face in certain parts of the world. There was a mother on telling how her fourteen year old son was physically and mentally tortured by three men for two hours then strangled to death with his own t shirt at a party because he came across as camp.

I just finished listening to Thanissaro Bikkhu's dharma talk on the Brahmaviharas. So between my last post on this thread and this one, I did the listening. He read through the Brahmavihara sutta and explained and answered student questions.

"Guard your intention for good will as though it were more precious than your only child." (my paraphrase) Hmmm, wow.

Apparently, the Buddha never told anyone to they had to love everyone, and he gave tons of useful advice for dealing with people whom you loathe or wish to harm in revenge. "Guard your intention for good will as though it were more precious than your only child" in the unpleasant presence of a baby killer or your choice of politician; that's some really heavy stuff.

I have to be careful about watching too many documentaries like you mention @Bunks, the emotional hangover lasts for days sometimes. I also believe it's important to witness and know about such things, so it's a balancing act to keep from hurting myself past my ability to stay balanced.

Cultivating the Brahma Viharas in spite of every possible atrocity one human can do to another is the only way to make any 'good' come from some bad situations. If my child were murdered, maybe the good will I grew in the aftermath would make their death 'not in vain'. The kind of hatred that is a natural in response to the murder of a loved one isn't something I've had to feel. It makes me remember some story told by a western Buddhist teacher about this mother, who's son was murdered by another young man during a robbery. This mother ended up visiting her son's murderer in prison, and when he was released on parole, she advocated for him and moved him into her own home. She took responsibility for his 'supervision' and work rehabilitation. Hell, I don't know if this story is even true but I think the 'moral' of the story is true. The mother was asked how she could do what she did for her son's murderer and she said "The hate and pain would have killed me, and what good would that have done?"

A person's whole 'self' would have to destroyed in order to come back together like this, or so it seems.

BunkslobsterCinorjer
  • atiyanaatiyana Explorer

The forceful deities (often translated as wrathful) are forcefully compassionate, they are forceful because the peaceful methods didn't work. Thus part of compassion DOES entail forcefulness is the situation calls for it.

With that said, it is only in the beginning and middle stages of a Bodhisattva that we have compassion for someone or beings, later on as the vajraprajaparimita sutra mentions, to save sentient beings, you see there are no sentient beings. In other words, eventually bodhisattvas must drop the notion of their being sentient beings, or "others" to save at all, and so the compassion then stems from not a mental subject with compassion towards objects (such as other subjective agents), but rather from the natural state of mind. There is then a non-discriminating, all encompassing compassion without object.

lobster
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited April 2014

It all comes down to 4NT.

Losing someone or something precious in a criminal act is dukkha. Getting angry and plotting vengeance is only going to add more dukkha. That does not mean however that action should not be taken to prevent further dukkha - the criminal minded still need to be put away.

You still need to keep your doors/cars locked at night and stay safe until such time that one truly realise that there is no-thing to lose in the first place.

• I fear that my answer would be nullified next to all these insightfull comments. Me as a novice can only bring my novice perspective. I believe that kindness should be given to everyone. There is a certain person i know. My gf's uncle, who can only be defined as evil incarnated. It is undescribable how evil he is, yet i feel still feel a certain level of symphaty for him because i see him as lost, so deep in samsara that he may be unsaveable in this life.
    It just comes to it, for me, that i see different forms and levels of 'love'. Family love, friendship, respect, compassion, kindness. They are all forms to the same. But i have already found, that the theory is easier to grasp sometimes than the practice.

Cinorjerkarasti
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ha ha ha .... only 'sometimes'...?
    If only!

It is said, that Buddhist practice is simple in the extreme.

However, it's crucially important to not mistake 'simple' for 'easy'.

Cinorjerlobster
  • I know ^^ never made the mistake yet :)

• @federica said:
    Ha ha ha .... only 'sometimes'...?
    If only!

It is said, that Buddhist practice is simple in the extreme.

However, it's crucially important to not mistake 'simple' for 'easy'.

"Guard your good will..." I like that, @Hamsaka‌

To me, love is simple. It's giving. Only giving. Give with no expectation in return. Give because there is nothing else you can do. Give what you can. Give your time, your attention, your words, your compassion. Just give.

It's so simple, it's almost impossible.

• It is undescribable how evil he is, yet i feel still feel a certain level of symphaty for him because i see him as lost, so deep in samsara that he may be unsaveable in this life.

Perhaps he is one of the kitten roasters. Perhaps he is a banker. There may be reasons for his behaviour, which you need not describe.

When I taught in prison, I came across child abusers, violent offenders and prison guards. The guards for me, were the most scary of all.

The only person who ever attacked me, just as we were leaving the prison grounds, hitting me repeatedly, was the yoga teacher. Was she evil? No just partially ridiculous and incensed at my suggestion that yoga could be a physical system that could provide prisoners with a much needed certification. To her yoga was a spiritual art, too worthy of such crass assessment . . . I am still bemused by her 'expertise'. She never apologised incidentally, apparently I deserved the physical admonishment.

People whose behaviour has been modified by environment, religion, illness, drugs etc are still worthy of compassion. It is not easy. Some of us think the toaster is evil because it burnt our bread . . .

This is why we have to stress offering love to a pure symbol, perhaps by chanting Amitaba or to one of the Purelanders, as beneficial for those overtaken by circumstances.

Forceful or wrathful compassion that @atiyana‌ describes is an advanced practice. Sometimes we need a little dharma drama, sometimes a little Oprah opera . . .

http://www.oprah.com/relationships/How-to-Increase-the-Love-in-Your-Life-Brene-Brown