Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

We do not know

We know, but we know little and we do not know with absolute certainty.

This scares us and we invent theories as a result. For instance, if a person comes here and asks a question relating to death - let's say someone she loves has died - we honestly cannot answer that question. We do not know much about death, about the afterlife (if there is an afterlife), about anything regarding the subject. Yet we answer as if we know. We invent all kinds of ideas and theories, no facts whatsoever. We just want to comfort the person and perhaps ourselves also.

But the truth is, we do not know. What if life? death? nibanna? what is this sense of emptiness we experience, this dukkha? what is loneliness? What is fear? hate?

And so forth. We may know all this through experience - for instance, we have experienced fear or sorrow - but do we actually know what these things are? Is it even possible to study them the way we study things outside of us, in an objective manner?

That is why 'I do not know' is the most logical answer. It gives us a chance to learn, to grow.
BunksCinorjerEthan_McCune

Comments

• This is what you know today?
    What will you not know tomorrow?
    :wave:
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited February 2014
    lobster said:

This is what you know today?
    What will you not know tomorrow?
    :wave:

Are you a guy or a girl? I am asking because we do not know.
    bookworm
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No, actually, we do.
    anataman
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2014
    betaboy said:

This scares us and we invent theories as a result. For instance, if a person comes here and asks a question relating to death - let's say someone she loves has died - we honestly cannot answer that question. We do not know much about death, about the afterlife (if there is an afterlife), about anything regarding the subject. Yet we answer as if we know. We invent all kinds of ideas and theories, no facts whatsoever. We just want to comfort the person and perhaps ourselves also.

Please find, link or quote an example from this forum. Thanks.
    But the truth is, we do not know. What if life? death? nibanna? what is this sense of emptiness we experience, this dukkha? what is loneliness? What is fear? hate?
    We all know exactly what they are.
    Illusory. Part of the 1st Noble truth....
    And so forth. We may know all this through experience - for instance, we have experienced fear or sorrow - but do we actually know what these things are? Is it even possible to study them the way we study things outside of us, in an objective manner?
    Yes, because studying and understanding buddhist teachings gives us insight.
    That is why 'I do not know' is the most logical answer. It gives us a chance to learn, to grow.
    Sadly, this seems to be the most logical answer for you. No matter how much is taught - here and elsewhere, you just don't seem to be taking it in.

Ethan_McCuneKundo
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Practicing the Buddhadharma is the solution to coming up with 'theories'. Practicing (meditation, morality, wisdom) is a direct experience, it is NOT some 'idea'.

Ethan_McCune
  • We know what death is. We know what it is like to grieve, so when someone is grieving we offer compassionate words of sympathy and empathy.
    We might say that their loved one has gone to better place like heaven. Or that they are at peace and no longer in pain.
    Or if someone is going to die soon we can tell them things that comfort them.
    When you don't know, you can say whatever is appropriate.
    Imagine telling someone who is grieving that their loved one will be reborn into samsara, when they believe they will be seeing that person again in heaven.
    Cinorjer
  • federica said:

No, actually, we do.

Mind sharing?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "Don't know mind is your true nature." ~Zen Master Guy
    Cinorjer
    betaboy said:

federica said:

No, actually, we do.

Mind sharing?
    It's on a need to know basis.
    If you want to know, why don't you ask Lobster?
    One less thing to be ignorant about.

;)

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited February 2014

Just toying with a rewrite:

I know, but I know little and I do not know with absolute certainty.

This scares me and I invent theories as a result. For instance, if a person comes here and asks a question relating to death - let's say someone she loves has died - I honestly cannot answer that question. I do not know much about death, about the afterlife (if there is an afterlife), about anything regarding the subject. Yet I answer as if we know. I invent all kinds of ideas and theories, no facts whatsoever. I just want to comfort the person and perhaps myself also....
    federicatmottes
  • If I understand you right, then I agree. To say "I know" is to cling to a view. You can use "I know" as a way of saying "it has been my experience that" or something like that, but in general I see the phrase "I know" as a red flag for clinging to views.
    Chazseeker242
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    maarten said:

If I understand you right, then I agree. To say "I know" is to cling to a view. You can use "I know" as a way of saying "it has been my experience that" or something like that, but in general I see the phrase "I know" as a red flag for clinging to views.

I know what you mean!
    edited February 2014
    I see the phrase "I know" as a red flag for clinging to views.
    @maarten -- I see "we know" as a red flag for an unwillingness to acknowledge and take responsibility for the obvious.

In some translations of The Dhammapada, Gautama is alleged to have said, "It is not what others do and do not do that is my concern. It is what I do and do not do -- that is my concern."
    Chaz
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    betaboy said:

I agree, and I refer to this as "embracing uncertainty".....oops, I've just expressed another opinion..:p
    Chaz
  • I think the "don't know" mind is also describing "pure conviction", "pure effort", the emphasis is "pure".
  • Let us go a little further. Even in psychological matters, we can only say 'I know' if science has confirmed it. Else, it is an uncertain territory. Consider lust. A religious person may say it is perversion, or that it has to do with lack of mindfulness etc. But the scientific truth is that we all have the urge to survive and reproduce. Seen in that context, lust makes sense.

So my point is, we can say 'I know' - and tentatively at that - if science has confirmed things to a degree. The rest of the time what we have is speculation. So 'I don't know' would be a better frame of mind...........
    @betaboy -- Things get easier when practice catches up with intellectual tap-dancing.
    lobster
  • Milarepa's Response to a Logician

I bow at the feet of my teacher Marpa.
    And sing this song in response to you.
    Listen, pay heed to what I say,
    forget your critique for a while.

The best seeing is the way of "nonseeing" --
    the radiance of the mind itself.
    The best prize is what cannot be looked for --
    the priceless treasure of the mind itself.

The most nourishing food is "noneating" --
    the transcendent food of samadhi.
    The most thirst-quenching drink is "nondrinking" --
    the nectar of heartfelt compassion.

Oh, this self-realizing awareness
    is beyond words and description!
    The mind is not the world of children,
    nor is it that of logicians.

Attaining the truth of "nonattainment,"
    you receive the highest initiation.
    Perceiving the void of high and low,
    you reach the sublime stage.

Approaching the truth of "nonmovement,"
    you follow the supreme path.
    Knowing the end of birth and death,
    the ultimate purpose is fulfilled.

Seeing the emptiness of reason,
    supreme logic is perfected.
    When you know that great and small are groundless,
    you have entered the highest gateway.

Comprehending beyond good and evil
    opens the way to perfect skill.
    Experiencing the dissolution of duality,
    you embrace the highest view.

Observing the truth of "nonobservation"
    opens the way to meditating.
    Comprehending beyond "ought" and "oughtn't"
    opens the way to perfect action.

When you realize the truth of "noneffort,"
    you are approaching the highest fruition.
    Ignorant are those who lack this truth:
    arrogant teachers inflated by learning,
    scholars bewitched by mere words,
    and yogis seduced by prejudice.
    For though they yearn for freedom,
    they find only enslavement.
  • “Not-knowing” is emphasized in Zen practice, where it is sometimes called “beginner’s mind.” An expert may know a subject deeply, yet be blinded to new possibilities by his or her preconceived ideas. In contrast, a beginner may see with fresh, unbiased eyes. The practice of beginner’s mind is to cultivate an ability to meet life without preconceived ideas, interpretations, or judgments.

http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/books-articles/articles/not-knowing/
    lobsterseeker242
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    robot said:

We know what death is....

I don't think "we know" what death is.

howlobster
  • vinlyn said:

robot said:

We know what death is....

I don't think "we know" what death is.

Death, in my mothers case took about 20 hrs and finally occurred with the family and some friends around the bedside. Then we had her remains cremated. Followed by a celebration of life.
    And the appropriate grieving. Pretty much the same for my dad.
    Sometimes things can be more traumatic, sometimes less.
    That's what death is to me.
    I think you are describing the process of dying and the consequences for you @robot who are alive. I have watched many people die in all sorts of ways: some tragic, some long and drawn out, but I have also witnessed some people die with great peace and dignity.

I often had to certify death (and doing a respiratory/geriatric placement in my first 6 months in the winter time this was really part of the bread and butter of my job) and when I did I was always struck by the appearance of the cold inanimate body of the 'person' who had been chatting to me just yesterday or the day before. Sometimes they would have expressed their fear of dying, some just didn't want to talk about it or face up the inevitable fact that they had reached the end of their life and were dying, but there was always one or two who had taken the effort to approach their mortality head on, either as a practitioner of a faith-based religion or in a non-secular rational way.

Whatever the approach the outcome was the same and I always had the sense of inner peace in the presence of someone who had just died. There was no outward sense that the 'person' existed any longer, and as this was now a non-functioning corpse, it did not express any of the wants, needs, worries, cares or opinions, it had done previously.

I always tried to do what was legally required of me in a dignified way, and that is really when I truly started to understand compassion and started to develop compassion. Every person I know or don't know will be in this state at the end of their lives. That is why I want to understand and prepare for it now, so that when I am dying, I can reassure everyone that I will have inner peace, and so will they when they face that spectre that binds each and everyone of us.

Mettha

robotVastmindDavidcvalue
  • Thanks @anataman
    I'm not sure what else there is to know about it.
  • I understand what dukkha is. I know what death is. Even though I have seen my past lives now, I don't know if they ever actually happened. Life itself is illusory. I think this answers my question on past lives.
    lobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I think I may have been or will be every being that ever was or ever will be.

If I remember by chance any of these I explore it for a while then let it go. I would hate to spoil this current cup of tea because I still had some left in my cup from yesterday.

What is it that exists between teas?

Just an empty cup and the potential for tea.
    I think I may have been or will be every being that ever was or ever will be.
    That was my epiphany about 15 years ago as well but then went on to posit that there must be a middle way, so rather than have to keep going through the endless cycle of birth and rebirth, why don't I do it in one great big hit, then everyone's happy, and I don't have to do it alone, I'll have myself secreted away in everyone else for company - I'll be everyone and everything at once,

I know, I'll just be completely empty and start with this as an idea and see what happens.

Hmmm, I'll need to be ignorant to start with because I don't want to remember immediately what the hell I've got myself into. But I'll need an alarm clock, lets call it suffering, that will wake me up, yes a bit of pain once in a while, the pinch in the dream.

I'll need it to be a condition that I will eventually wake up to what's going on (the get out clause) I'll make sure that no one lives for ever, yes so got to build in a set of rules - so lets make everything impermanent. That will make me sit up and listen, won't it.

What have I missed, the initial cause, BANG!

Nurse: he's not crying

Doctor: give his backside a good slap

Waaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

MUM: welcome to the world, you've caused me so much pain

Damn waking up but no one else is - how am I going to escape this ridiculous cage I have trapped myself in. Hang on What Self?

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Knowing is greatly over rated. Mostly because of how possessive and ego affirming it so often seems to be.
    To the degree that i can stop feeding my own skandha based story line, is the degree to which knowledge simply appears unhindered by my own conditioned reflexes.
    That knowledge is momentary, ethereal, un possessable, eternal, and intrinsically free of belief.
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    anataman said:

Whatever the approach the outcome was the same and I always had the sense of inner peace in the presence of someone who had just died. There was no outward sense that the 'person' existed any longer, and as this was now a non-functioning corpse, it did not express any of the wants, needs, worries, cares or opinions, it had done previously.

Me too. In the presence of someone who has just died from an illness (cancer, usually) there is this silence when you are with the dead body. These people knew they were dying, as did their family, and all were as we put it, 'on board' (the celestial choo choo train). So that utter stillness and peace is palpable, and it goes right into the center of me. It never strikes me as sad, not ever. Even when the family is wrenched with their loss. I can sure have THAT go inside me and feel with the family and even share tears with them, I've lost loved ones too. But if I stay 'out' of the family grief, all I feel is this tender peace and relief.

The stillness of a corpse is a hint of the possibilities of peace.

I've never been with a corpse that died suddenly and traumatically, was dismembered or destroyed.
    I've never been with a corpse that died suddenly and traumatically, was dismembered or destroyed.
    No sadly, I rarely felt peaceful after those encounters- they used to jog my mind and remind me how you can never know how you are going to die, and in particular, how savage humans can be to each one another when they allow themselves to be overcome with uncontrollable anger.

Those images live with me and, like many people who suffer from PTDS - those images regularly return as a reminder of something that may be waiting around the corner.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited February 2014
    betaboy said:

We know, but we know little and we do not know with absolute certainty. This scares us and we invent theories as a result.

*hands you a mirror*
    anataman
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I was born into this world full of wonder and I figure I will leave full of wonder.

The problem with having it all wrapped up is that we can no longer see it.
  • betaboy said:

We know, but we know little and we do not know with absolute certainty. This scares us and we invent theories as a result.

*hands you a mirror*
    Thanks, chick. My hair looks good, lol.
  • betaboy said:

Is it even possible to study them the way we study things outside of us, in an objective manner?

"Now how is mindfulness of in-&-out breathing developed & pursued so as to be of great fruit, of great benefit?

"There is the case where a monk, having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree, or to an empty building, sits down folding his legs crosswise, holding his body erect, and setting mindfulness to the fore.[1] Always mindful, he breathes in; mindful he breathes out.

"And how is mindfulness of in-&-out breathing developed & pursued so as to bring the four frames of reference to their culmination?

"And how are the four frames of reference developed & pursued so as to bring the seven factors for awakening to their culmination?

"And how are the seven factors for awakening developed & pursued so as to bring clear knowing & release to their culmination? There is the case where a monk develops mindfulness as a factor for awakening dependent on seclusion, dependent on dispassion, dependent on cessation, resulting in relinquishment. He develops analysis of qualities as a factor for awakening... persistence as a factor for awakening... rapture as a factor for awakening... serenity as a factor for awakening... concentration as a factor for awakening... equanimity as a factor for awakening dependent on seclusion, dependent on dispassion, dependent on cessation, resulting in relinquishment.

"This is how the seven factors for awakening are developed & pursued so as to bring clear knowing & release to their culmination."

That is what the Blessed One said. Gratified, the monks delighted in the Blessed One's words.

Anapanasati Sutta: Mindfulness of Breathing: MN 118
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    betaboy said:

betaboy said:

*hands you a mirror*
    Glad you think so, boy. But you've missed the point.

betaboy said:

betaboy said:

*hands you a mirror*
    That's the least of your worries.
    It's not your hair you need to be concerned about.
    Kundoanataman
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited February 2014
    federica said:

betaboy said:

betaboy said:

*hands you a mirror*
    That's the least of your worries.
    It's not your hair you need to be concerned about.
    My gf seems to disagree, lol.
    You have a GF.... Lordy.....!
    anatamanWonderingSeeker
  • federica said:

You have a GF.... Lordy.....!

Doesn't everyone have a godfather?

edited February 2014
    Have you seen how @federica's will be dealing with your horse:

• anandoanando Explorer
    Hi,
    if you want´o know about that, read the Dighanikayo. It will take some time but it´s worth it.
    anando
    federicabetaboy