Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Yay! Sangha Day!

As a lay person who is no where close to a temple, how can I celebrate Sangha Day other than making light offerings, cleaning the house, and meditating?

Comments

• matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Send checks!

I think many temples are essentially serving their local community, so it makes the most sense for those communities to support their sangha.

However, there are monasteries that are essentially Nepal's way of taking care of orphans and kids that parents can't afford to take care of. Maybe it could/should be done by secular institutions, but at the moment, its a solution in a country without the best of social services.

So get googling and send $20.

Or take the time to create your own local institutions-- for example I run a buddhist book club, and there's lots of people who meet at private homes-- when the ordained sangha is missing, people tend to re-frame the sangha as the community of Buddhists.

BunksEthan_McCunecvalueanataman
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Extract from Magha Puja in Wikipedia:

The spiritual aims of the day are: not to commit any kind of sins; do only good; purify one's mind.

Enjoy! I will be celebrating it alone with you (if that makes sense!!)

;)
    Ethan_McCune