Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do I just be?

novaw0lfnovaw0lf Veteran
edited February 2014 in Buddhism Basics
How do I just be? This is something that I've been mildly criticized about on this forum for years.

“I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” ― Jack London

It is not death that I fear, but to die before I'm dead; it's not stillness that I fear, but wasted time, life un-lived.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Soyen Shaku, the first Zen teacher to come to America, said: "My heart burns like fire but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes." He made the following rules which he practiced every day of his life.

In the morning before dressing, light incense and meditate.

Retire at a regular hour. Partake of food at regular intervals. Eat with moderation and never to the point of satisfaction.

Receive a guest with the same attitude you have when alone. When alone, maintain the same attitude you have in receiving guests.

Watch what you say, and whatever you say, practice it.

When an opportunity comes do not let it pass by, yet always think twice before acting.

Do not regret the past. Look to the future.

Have the fearless attitude of a hero and the loving heart of a child.

Upon retiring, sleep as if you had entered your last sleep. Upon awakening, leave your bed behind you instantly as if you had cast away apair of old shoes.
    http://deoxy.org/koan/22
    lobstercvaluepegembara
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    I've been thinking about those Buddhist 'sound bytes' lately; 'form is emptiness' and 'just be/abide' and 'empty your mind of all thoughts' and there are hundreds of others, including ones about "enlightenment". There are so many more that float around out there in everyday culture and speech.

I've been meditating for six months every night and bringing the teachings into my daily life to the best of my understanding and ability. I'm barely beginning. But these Buddhist 'sound bytes' are starting to make a different kind of sense to me.

It seems silly to even bother trying to apply them to one's life because the sound bytes just happen to be some of the deepest, most profound teachings that make no relative sense until many other layers of ignorance have been peeled away by practice. Otherwise the 'ego' or small self or whatever get's hold of them and does NOT know what to do with them at all but stick them on like a button advertising your religion or political party. Even worse, the ego/small self (if yours is anything like mine) has a big head and THINKS it GETS it all on it's own, and then tries to act like it gets it. And then, ends up frustrated and disillusioned at yet ANOTHER stupid bandaid being paraded around like some cosmic truth.

I remember years ago trying to get a grasp on what 'bare attention' is. WTF? The same with 'pure awareness'. "Just be aware" of the thoughts going through your head (which you canNOT stop anyway). WHAT????

What gives me tremendous faith in Buddhism is that we are to have direct experience of the fruits of the teachings for ourselves, AND a remarkably step-by-step system of guidance toward the fruitions. Meditate and grow your concentration and insight; cultivate, improve and contemplate morality in your daily life (Brahmaviharas, Seven Factors of Awakening, the Ten Paramis, etc etc).

My suspicion is the Buddhist 'sound bytes' will make perfect sense at some point down the road :D neh? Getting all agite' about them at the beginning, as I did, was distracting from the 'real' work and totally unhelpful.

BTW, I *think* I might have a sense of what 'awareness' is :D
    lobstercvaluepegembara
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Well @novaWolf, Not sure much more can be said on this topic, the old and crusty's above, who should have been turfed out by now according to your other thread, have produced something, that to my mind was clear, relatively concise and self-explanatory.

Now, I could go into the meaning of the verbs 'to be', and 'to do'.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/to_be.htm

there is an interesting section on fuzzy verb phrases with be, with alternative verbs that can be used an is particularly relevant to this site, and then there are the stative and dynamic forms that I find particularly fascinating. Then when you compare it to the verb, 'to do', which is in fact a self-description, which then becomes a puzzle, the more you think of it. Well I wouldn't want anyone to waste their life on the meaning of such stupid things so I'll just leave it there.

You seem to be yearning after something to do, but obviously you are dissatisfied with what you are doing now? Be mindful, then you will start to be. QED.

Mettha
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I like the expression "to Just be" but I think each moment, brings the potential of a different definition. At this moment....
    To just be, to me, speaks of no artifice. And since my artifice manifests as any of my conditioned support for my Skandha's storyline, to just be, represents meditation.
    lobsteranatamancvalueDavid
  • You try really hard.

then you give up.

then right there you're being.

anatamanRodrigo
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    no fuzziness there @how :bowdown:
  • I think I'll just be

a corpse

Soon enough

. . . meanwhile amongst those who can not let it 'just be'

I'll jump up and down and say, 'look at what I am'

How wonderful - living corpse.

:wave:
    anatamancvalueRodrigo
  • To "just be" is part of being mindful. To be mindful is to just be. Do not identify with the form, feelings, perception, mental fabrication, and consciousness. Do not add me, my, mine, or I to those things. Let them be in and of themselves, then you are truly just being.
    anataman
  • A man traveling across a field encountered a tiger. He fled, the tiger after him. Coming to a precipice, he caught hold of the root of a wild vine and swung himself down over the edge. The tiger sniffed at him from above. Trembling, the man looked down to where, far below, another tiger was waiting to eat him. Only the vine sustained him.

Two mice, one white and one black, little by little started to gnaw away the vine. The man saw a luscious strawberry near him. Grasping the vine with one hand, he plucked the strawberry with the other. How sweet it tasted!
    lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Just let go....
  • its listening with a heart
  • novaw0lf said:

It is not death that I fear, but to die before I'm dead;
    it's not stillness that I fear, but wasted time, life un-lived.

You don't fear an actual death but you fear a metaphorical death?
    If wasted time/ life un-lived is another way of saying 'forever missed opportunity', then is death not a line beyond which the opportunities of this life are 'forever' (within the context of this life) ceased?
    Examine your fear carefully - it is yours afterall.
  • novaw0lf said:

How do I just be? This is something that I've been mildly criticized about on this forum for years.

“I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” ― Jack London

It is not death that I fear, but to die before I'm dead; it's not stillness that I fear, but wasted time, life un-lived.

To just be, you don't have to be.