Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Discovered a strange phenomenon - wordstream in my mind

Through meditation I've discovered a crazy phenominon - when I'm tired, if still my thoughts enough, I can pick/tune in to a running wordstream in my head. It's not a voice, it's more like remembering a conversation. Thing is, it's complete gobledygook. Seriously, things like "Half is a note ... world touch ... something happened and the bunny" When I have a song in my head or something I think it's the same stream thats playing, only louder. It seems to lie 'beneath' my active thought process - I think that I can pick up on it when I'm alert too, it's just much quieter.

An interesting (and useful) side effect is, when I 'listen in' when I'm really tired, if I can concentrate on it, I fall asleep quickly.

Does this seem totally insane?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No, I get that a lot. occasionally, it's even in the voice of someone I know. Completely random statements, with rndom spaces of time in between. I don't know what it is.... it's like a file tipping over and documents spilling out and just coming to the surface. I try to recall whether these specific voices have actually spoken those words to me and try to recollect the instance - but it doesn't compute.
    I get it a lot when I'm tired and just trying to drift off....
    anatamanJetsFan366
  • Thank you federica! That's great to hear. Great analogy too. My completely uneducated guess is that it has something to do with our brains getting their chemicals refilled 'touching' parts of our brain and triggering information to 'come up'. Very similar to dream IMO.
  • This happens with me a lot and I am mentally ill. It even happens when I pee the splashes make words to my ear.
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    edited February 2014
    This also happens to me. I feel like I'm "listening in" on brain background noise... It ceases when I become very aware of it. If I don't put energy into it I can notice it and can keep listening for a little bit. I never really thought much about it, figured it had to do with our wiring.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    twaitsfan said:

Through meditation I've discovered a crazy phenominon - when I'm tired, if still my thoughts enough, I can pick/tune in to a running wordstream in my head. It's not a voice, it's more like remembering a conversation.

That's quite normal. Calming the mind is a very progressive thing, like layers of an onion. Something I often get is very old memories bubbling to the surface.
  • Thanks everyone. One other thing I've noticed about it - sometimes in the middle of the day when I'm having a difficult time concentrating I do a scan and realize that the chatter is going on at full blast. I don't know how to shut it off, but it feels a bit better knowing why I'm having such a difficult time concentrating.

It seems to me that this is a important phenomenon to notice. The potential to understand and perhaps even control this chatter must have great benefits. Perhaps some meditation pros can do it no problem.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    It happens to me as well. I'm not insane, and neither are any of you.

Using a water analogy as well, I compare thoughts to ripples in the sea of our minds, and with a strong wind these ripples coalesce into waves and the waves, start to froth and splash. I just put this background noise down as the frothing and splashing. And the stronger the wind driving the waves, the more frothing and splashing takes place, perhaps thats why at midday when you are most active, and perhaps least mindful, in your job or whatever, the wind is at its strongest. Drifting off to sleep mindfully, I see the settling down.

Has anyone tried to be mindfully aware that very first instant you awake? Just a thought...

Mettha
    twaitsfan said:

The potential to understand and perhaps even control this chatter must have great benefits.

There are great benefits to calming the mind, but it is difficult to achieve in the noise and business of everyday life. I think that's partly why people go on retreat, and why a lot of retreats are held in silence.
    edited February 2014
    anataman said:

Has anyone tried to be mindfully aware that very first instant you awake? Just a thought...

I generally have a brief moment of "who, what, where?". I sometimes wonder what it would like to wake up with complete amnesia, that would be interesting.;)
    anataman
    I had a moment like that today, but was supposedly wide awake, I walked into a shop with lots of aisles, and I know it quite well. However, I was so engrossed in what I was thinking, and was absorbed in the thoughts, that I suddenly woke up in the middle of an aisle, completely disoriented as I didn't recognise where I was. In fact for a brief moment, I was 'where the heck am I and had to backtrack' until I realised why I had even come out at all.

I still don't have any memory of the walking in the shop part. Amnesia! Weird experience. I didn't realise just how mindless I could be. I think the comments I've been getting to stop over-thinking - damn right they were.
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Last night I tried to remain aware of the moment of falling asleep. After I almost fell asleep a couple of times during meditation, I realized I might be 'seeing' the moment of falling asleep, why not stalk it a little?

What it felt like was a thrill of energy shooting outward from my center (out the arms and legs) and a sudden 'return' to awareness. I'd almost fallen asleep. So I took deep long breaths and short, harder out breaths (to stimulate the sympathetic nervous system) so I could finish the meditation awake, preferably.

Later as I was lying in wait to notice the moment of falling asleep (I didn't :D it is much sneakier than I am yet), I was thinking of those moments of almost falling asleep. It was like a stone skipping over the surface of the water before it finally goes under. The physical thrill of energy was 'me' bouncing off the surface of unconsciousness, airborne and awake for a bit longer.

I also hear the 'background mumbling', and it is disjointed and nonsensical, like I am hearing bits of different conversations. One phenomenon I noticed is if I am getting sleepy in meditation, those voices get much louder, and I seem to hear them with my 'ears' rather than as thoughts. I also get "visual" entertainment, and I wonder if this happens when I'm sleepy too. I know I'm not seeing anything, my eyes are closed and I meditate later in the evening. Sometimes it's like cartoons, or one image morphing into another like it's being played with by a graphics program. At first the images were always faces, and ugly or bizarre ones at that. Lately I'm seeing more neutral images, and last night I saw a giant bright yellow flower like my nose was right in the center. I thought "Wow that's beautiful!" and *pop* it was gone, of course.
  • @twaitsfan, sounds harmless, but I'm curious: any schizophrenics in your family?
  • I think the difference in a mental illness is that you believe the voices are real 'beings'. And these beings persecute you.
  • Yeah, it doesn't sound like mental illness in th twaitsfan's case, but it does sound very reminiscent of "word salad."
    If he's schizo... - we all are!
    Hamsaka said:

Lately I'm seeing more neutral images, and last night I saw a giant bright yellow flower like my nose was right in the center. I thought "Wow that's beautiful!" and *pop* it was gone, of course.

I am having a similarly strange yet possibly related experience. As part of my practice I have repeatedly imagined myself dying in various horrid ways, I can cope with my death pretty much, but don't want it to happen in the too near distant future, but death awaits us all, even buddhas - I can't remember, but was taught to do this by a meditation teacher in my long lost past life, when I had one. However, recently, I have been having vivid images of people close to me dying and it has started producing an emotive response (i'm a pretty emotional guy - watched Mrs Doubtfire with my kids a couple of days ago, and yes a tear welled up, during the film)

but to my point: I was mindfully driving my kid home tonight, and had the most horrendous vision of someone blowing his brains out, and in the same journey, a horrendous vision of the death of my wife poked its way into my consciousness, and it was really quite disturbing, such that I became tearful, almost like I had actually lost both of them. Any explanation for that is appreciated, but don't want to hijack the post.

Mettha

• fivebells said:

@twaitsfan, sounds harmless, but I'm curious: any schizophrenics in your family?

One of my friend from high school developed schizophrenia so I'm very aware of it, tho no one in my family to my knowledge has had it. Funny you mention Word Salad - I just looked it up, and that's exactly what the 'voices' say. But again, it's not voices really - it's like remembering a conversation. I don't hear anything. It's like the difference between having a visual memory of something and seeing it. It's completely different tho I can't put the difference into words. I actually try to make some meaning out of the words at times but it's just gobbledegook.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    fivebells said:

Yeah, it doesn't sound like mental illness in th twaitsfan's case, but it does sound very reminiscent of "word salad."

It is just like word salad (in my meditation, too). The problem with word salad is when you think you are communicating clearly but "she's curved hanging by the upper net" is what comes out. It seems as though concentration-type meditation quietens the left hemisphere, to the point perhaps the neurons are just quivering and squeaking in their 'sleep', thus the weird word fragments. The 'visuals' happening in meditation are probably the same hallucinatory experiences people with psychosis have, we all have the same basic brain.

I don't see this as reductionistic OR as evidence people with psychosis are peering into subtle realms the rest of us can't see. It's probably just the brain grumbling and farting and tossing and turning as meditation calms it down.

I know there are nimittas that occur at certain levels of concentration (samatha) meditation. They can be 'visual' or 'auditory' and some people I've read have 'tactile' nimittas. The significance of nimittas as indicators of entering jhanic states seems to be a point of contention among meditators. And how one would distinguish them from brain farts and rumblings . . . well, I suppose if one has a genuine nimitta, there would be no question.
  • Huh, this has never happened for me.
  • I used to see meanings in the shape of letters. I would look at car license plates and think I was reading (mutually) the mind of the driver. Maybe there is a spectrum of this type of thing and I am at an extreme end?

I also wonder if the filter between the unconscious and the conscious is an issue.
    robot
    fivebells said:

Huh, this has never happened for me.

What a brain fart?

Jeffrey said:

I think the difference in a mental illness is that you believe the voices are real 'beings'. And these beings persecute you.

Yes, it seems the voices "take on a life of their own". I worked for a while in a hostel for people with schizophrenia and such like.

Hamsaka said:

The significance of nimittas as indicators of entering jhanic states seems to be a point of contention among meditators.

I get images of waves. But then I live by the sea, so who knows? ;)
  • twaitsfan said:

Through meditation I've discovered a crazy phenominon - when I'm tired, if still my thoughts enough, I can pick/tune in to a running wordstream in my head. It's not a voice, it's more like remembering a conversation. Thing is, it's complete gobledygook. Seriously, things like "Half is a note ... world touch ... something happened and the bunny" When I have a song in my head or something I think it's the same stream thats playing, only louder. It seems to lie 'beneath' my active thought process - I think that I can pick up on it when I'm alert too, it's just much quieter.

An interesting (and useful) side effect is, when I 'listen in' when I'm really tired, if I can concentrate on it, I fall asleep quickly.

Not at all..what you are experiencing is what is going on for most people much of the time.
    Its just that the majority are living with constant distractions of one kind or another as so do not become aware of the fact that they have a radio in their heads constantly broadcasting nonsense a lot of the time.
    When we begin to meditate the mind quietens, and paradoxically that reveals the full extent of the 'interference'..Its a good sign.
    One of my teachers said that if we spoke our stream of thoughts out loud uncensored it would be assumed that we were as mad as frogs..
    anataman
  • anataman said:

What a brain fart?

No, the running stream of nonsense words in my head when my mind is quiet. Streams of words always arise from and pertain to some goal that I've latched onto, and are coherent.
    Citta
    Then, and this is just a thought @fivebells, you are not perceiving the latency of mind. Those thoughts bubble up from somewhere?

Mettha
  • Can you expand on that? I don't follow.
    I can try but I am pressed for time and it's difficult to explain, so heres the analogy; water and wind is brilliant because we all understand waves and what a gust of wind or a gale is or feels like. Hopefully this will be a 'breath of fresh air' to what you are usually bombarded with on this forOM.

This is just me over-thinking it btw (mindfully @Chaz), don't get too attached to the analogy or try to push it forcefully away (that was for those reading who are not @fivebells). But I like to do that, it's meditation in action of a sort.

Back to the expansion for @fivebells: For the sake of argument, let us say 'materially' we are just a sentient ocean of mind stuff (let's call it the 'brain ocean, that secretes thoughts and responds (via feedback mechanisms, such as the senses) to those thoughts with emotions (which can be positive, negative or equitable). Certain waves can be thought of as a harmonic frequency that causes certain waves to arise frequently, for instance, we recognise a certain wave as 'I' or waves with a similar frequency as 'me', 'myself', 'mine' etc. Other waves arise dependently on 'I' 'me' 'myself' and 'mine' as lets say 'am' and 'being', and they are again 'harmonics' that we recognise; like notes on a keyboard.

Unfortunately the sentient brain ocean is not infinite and doesn't have a store of every conceivable thought in it, but instead it has the 'capacity' to recognise waves of certain frequencies as let's say 'stupid' or 'raft' or 'brainbokker' in other words there is the potential for us to recognise everything language can describe about us and our experiences (e.g. such as this little soliloquy within it), but is not manifesting to the sentient brain ocean. This is what I mean by latency. it's there and always will be it just depends on what provokes the next wave to arise.

Now, water is not static, even ice can be seen to move at a glacial pace, to observe that you've really got to be patient and still relative to it (or have a video camera with slow lapse photography built in). In fact everything is dynamic (changing), and the fundamental frequency centres on 'I' and resonates with it, and it manifests itself about the next thought that arises

So lets say that when agitated, the waves of the brain ocean move in a certain pattern. This pattern is caused by y (what brought it about) and conditioned by x (what the state of the ocean is in) and as it does so thoughts and emotions (mustn't forget them) arise in a way that is understandable, but if you are mindful of them they are just waves in the brain ocean, but if you interact with them (analogous to the wind blowing ), they may take on a richer and more textured pattern according to the feedback it is getting (positive or negative).

The latency I refer to means that there is the capacity, particularly if there is some disharmonious feedback going on blown by the winds of certain actions, for waves of certain frequencies to arise together in a way that does not normally happen or is recognised to happen, and the sentient mind may disjointedly put 'going' with 'mad' and 'jedi' and sees... 'going mad jedi' as a small thread of thought that appears and disappears, but is still perceived, as a completely random disconnected thought, that itself may feedback in such a way as to cause dis-ease or discomfort. Or start a thread of it's own like this one.

I pray my analogy works, if not I will just put it as yet another failure!

What was that?

This was a completely original piece of eccentric art btw.

What was that: originality is just unidentified plagiarism'
    Now that was not an original thought was it? Emotions stirring? Want to react. lol

Mettha

addendum: btw = beautiful to watch. Bet you didn't see that wave before!
  • anataman said:

...there is the capacity, particularly if there is some disharmonious feedback going on blown by the winds of certain actions, for waves of certain frequencies to arise together in a way that does not normally happen or is recognised to happen, and the sentient mind may disjointedly put 'going' with 'mad' and 'jedi' and sees... 'going mad jedi' as a small thread of thought that appears and disappears, but is still perceived, as a completely random disconnected thought, that itself may feedback in such a way as to cause dis-ease or discomfort.

I understood the OP quite differently. He seemed to be talking about extended nonsensical sequences of words.
    edited February 2014
    precisely @fivebells, precisely
  • twaitsfan said:

Once, my old radio picks up funny things too and I sent it for repair and it now works perfectly.
    Citta said:

... it would be assumed that we were as mad as frogs..

I think that's a bit unfair on frogs. ;)