Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reconciling God with the Dharma

NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `  South Carolina, USA Veteran
In the spirit of the Upanishads is offered the following excerpt from Sir Francis Younghusband's Introduction to the 1925 and 1939 editions of SOME SAYINGS OF THE BUDDHA: According to the Pali Canon:

“It is, however, in his attitude towards the idea of God that Buddha is most misrepresented. Because he refrained from making any sharp definition of God, and especially because he did not define Him as a Person —as a Father, for example— he is put down as an atheist and Buddhism is contemptuously tossed aside as unimportant. But it may have been because Buddha had too great, not too small, an idea of God that he refused to restrict himself to a sharp definition of the Deity. There are certain things which are too great to be put into words. Who, for instance, would care to define love? Buddha did not presume to define God, but both he and his disciples were saturated with the conception of a Power behind the eye that sees and the ear that hears, and behind all the phenomena of Nature. They had no hard, cold, mechanistic, materialistic view of the universe. They never conceived of it as anything else than spiritual. They assumed as a matter of course that there was a great spiritual power driving through all things as through themselves, and making for ever higher perfection. Buddhism cannot therefore be regarded as mere atheism.
“This imputation of atheism to Buddhism has indeed aroused much resentment among students of Buddhism. The veteran Buddhist scholar, Mrs. Rhys Davids, especially has vehemently protested and contended that Buddhism is neither antitheistic nor atheistic. ‘The educated man in Buddha’s day,’ she says, ‘believed in Deity as immanent in each man, as the Most, the Highest, the Best in that man’s spiritual being or self.’
“It seems, in fact to have been as much taken for granted that men were imbued with the Spirit of the Universe as nowadays it is assumed that Frenchmen are imbued with the spirit of France. It was taken as a matter of course that man was saturated with the Divine Universal Spirit, but it was thought no more necessary, or indeed possible, to define that Spirit in precise terms than it is for Frenchmen to define what is the spirit of France. That spirit is indeed at times symbolised in a person. In the Rubens Gallery at the Louvre, France is symbolised in the pictures as a glorious personage in a magnificent helmet. She is painted among other persons in groups. But no one would seriously regard her as standing for an actual person like the others. All recognize that the figure merely symbolises the spirit of France. In the same way in other pictures God is represented as a tremendous male figure, but no one would regard that figure as more than symbolical.
“Now it would seem that Buddha shrank from giving even symbolical expression to the inexpressibly tremendous Spirit which actuates the Universe and drives through every one of us. To describe It —especially to describe It as a Person— was only to belittle It. He was silent on the Nature of God not from any inadequacy of appreciation, but from excess of reverence. But we can conjecture what was in his mind as to the fundamental nature of things by studying the philosophical writings which were prevalent in his day. Both he and those about him were brought up on the Upanishads and according to those writings, ancient even in Buddha’s day, there was one Source, one Power, one Reality, one Being —call It what we may— from which —and from which alone— emanated all our intellectual powers, all our faculties. and all the powers of nature. In that Great Reality we all exist as It exists in us. It permeates us through and through as the spirit of France permeates all Frenchmen. It is the source of all the activity in the world, human or natural, vital or purely physical.
“But this Greatest, Highest, Most is not something wholly outside us and apart from us, any more than France is wholly outside Frenchmen. It is an Ideal which is actuating, drawing, compelling, and impelling us. the Upanishads regard It as the true Self in us all. If we could delve deep down within ourselves to the profoundest depths we would find the Supreme Reality. Or occasions may arise when in a flash It is revealed to us. There, in each of us, is the very essence of the whole Universe— ‘nearer to us than breathing and closer than hands and feet.’ There may not be a distant, aloof, Divine Potentate who knows all and can do anything, but working through the world may be an all-pervasive Principle constraining the whole towards an ultimate Perfection.
“Somewhat like this was the conception of things in Gautama’s time. And it was known that the illumination of men’s true inner selves brought to the few who were privileged to experience it a Joy which transfigured their whole lives. They would have touched the Fountain Source of all that is. They would have directly experienced the Joy of Creation —the Joy from which every power and every faculty proceeds. And it was such Illumination that eventually came to Gautama. He reached Nirvana. And thenceforth he became the Buddha, the Enlightened One.

—SIR FRANCIS YOUNGHUSBAND ca 1925, from his INTRODUCTION to F.L. Woodward’s SOME SAYINGS OF THE BUDDHA

RodrigoHamsakasndymorn

Comments

• RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Fantastic text. I think it makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Interesting. Thank you for posting that, @Nirvana.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Sounds like revisionism to me. I see it was written in the early 20th century, a lot of the writing at the time towards foreign cultures and ideas were reframed to better fit a Christian/Western view.

It seems to me like he mostly says that because the Buddha didn't spend much time talking about God therefore God could still exist within Buddhism. I don't know sutra passages but I'm pretty sure there are some where Buddha did deny certain versions of God. Also, the notion of emptiness and dependent arising on the cosmological scale sort of negates the need and the existence of a creator.

So I guess for me, the passage doesn't reconcile the Dharma with God at all.
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Wanting or not wanting a God to be proclaimed by the Buddha is just about our search for comfort in the universe. The Buddha didn't go there, not because the is or is not a God or Gods but because he saw this "want" as having nothing to do with walking a path towards sufferings cessation.
    vinlynpersonBunksmatthewmartin
    person said:

Sounds like revisionism to me. I see it was written in the early 20th century, a lot of the writing at the time towards foreign cultures and ideas were reframed to better fit a Christian/Western view.

It seems to me like he mostly says that because the Buddha didn't spend much time talking about God therefore God could still exist within Buddhism. I don't know sutra passages but I'm pretty sure there are some where Buddha did deny certain versions of God. Also, the notion of emptiness and dependent arising on the cosmological scale sort of negates the need and the existence of a creator.

Buddhism has always been rife with revisionism.

• Yes, Mr Younghusband is obviously speaking here to comfort himself and his readers, not from any specific knowledge of the Buddha's teaching he's prepared to share in support of his claim. The passage is nothing but rank speculation. If he was trying to make a serious attempt at the argument, he would at least address the Kevatta sutta:
    "Then the Great Brahma, taking the monk by the arm and leading him off to one side, said to him, 'These gods of the retinue of Brahma believe, "There is nothing that the Great Brahma does not know. There is nothing that the Great Brahma does not see. There is nothing of which the Great Brahma is unaware. There is nothing that the Great Brahma has not realized." That is why I did not say in their presence that I, too, don't know where the four great elements... cease without remainder. So you have acted wrongly, acted incorrectly, in bypassing the Blessed One in search of an answer to this question elsewhere. Go right back to the Blessed One and, on arrival, ask him this question. However he answers it, you should take it to heart.'
    The Buddha was also quite derogatory of the idea of heaven. His dismissal of it is too long to quote here, but this is representative:
    "Potthapada, it's as if a man at a crossroads were to build a staircase for ascending to a palace, and other people were to say to him, 'Well, my good man, this palace for which you are building a staircase: do you know whether it's east, west, north, or south of here? Whether it's high, low, or in between?' and, when asked this, he would say, 'No.' Then they would say to him, 'So you don't know or see the palace for which you are building a staircase?' When asked this, he would say, 'Yes.'

"So what do you think, Potthapada — when this is the case, don't the words of that man turn out to be unconvincing?"
    person
  • Those who. a priori, want to deny God in some form or other as they imagine God will find support for their denial in Buddhism and will cling to it. Those who, a priori, wish to affirm God in some form as they imagine God will find no denial in Buddhism and will cling to their imagined God.

God, if God there be, must take little notice of such struggles to prove to such people's own satisfaction that they are right and that others are wrong.

Only when we let go of futile clinging to our imaginings will we be like a ploughed field in which the seeds of stress-relieving Dharma can take root, grow and come to ripeness for harvest.
    Silouan
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I see no sutta references at all.. This looks to me to be much more someones opinion then anything from the suttas. I agree with person on many of his points.

since we are talking opinions here is one from me lol.. i think this is a better discourse on the suttas and the god issue, although also no direct sutta links -
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanaponika/godidea.html

Also buddhanet.net page on the topic.
    fivebells said:

...The passage is nothing but rank speculation. ...

If there's anything inherently wrong with "rank speculation", it seems to me we'd better close down this forum...and perhaps even Buddhism -- as a religion -- itself.

zsc
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    vinlyn said:

person said:

Yep. Feel free to criticize and attempt to debunk any of that.
    vinlyn said:

fivebells said:

If there's anything inherently wrong with "rank speculation", it seems to me we'd better close down this forum...and perhaps even Buddhism -- as a religion -- itself.

I think the main point is that the OP has little to justify its central point of "according to Buddhism there is the possibility of God existing" and not a criticism of rank speculation.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited February 2014
    @person, @vinlyn is correct, I am going on a personal crusade to stamp out all speculative and poorly supported claims in all online discussion of Buddhism.

@Nirvana: Please remain where you are, a death sqad has been dispatched to your location and will arrive shortly.
    ThaiLotussndymorn
    person said:

vinlyn said:

person said:

Yep. Feel free to criticize and attempt to debunk any of that.
    vinlyn said:

fivebells said:

I think the main point is that the OP has little to justify its central point of "according to Buddhism there is the possibility of God existing" and not a criticism of rank speculation.
    Generally speaking, introductions to books -- which is what was posted -- are opinion pieces.

fivebells said:

@person, @vinlyn is correct, I am going on a personal crusade to stamp out all speculative and poorly supported claims in all online discussion of Buddhism.

Can you prove you're going on such a crusade?

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Opinion piece/introduction or whatever; the Buddha was immersed in a cultural context which must be taken into consideration when unpacking his teachings (or what he deliberately refrained from teaching).

I don't know Younghusband's personal intentions myself, but I could mistake his 'opinion piece' for a nod to the milieu the Buddha operated from, rather than an ignorant or insidious attempt to mollify his own precious theism.
    Silouanzsc
    edited February 2014
    vinlyn said:

fivebells said:

my main issue with this piece is that it talks about "from the pali suttas" then seems rather off with no references. The piece I posted was by a monk and also had no references but fit more from what I know from reading the suttas. Bottom line is if someone is going to use the pali suttas as a basis, they better have references, yes even monks. This is why I always try to post reference links in my thread so people know it's not coming out of thin air from me.

There is a difference between "this is what I think" and " this is what the suttas say". Hell it wasn't even a " well this is what I think the suttas say" kind of thing it was more matter of fact. I've been struggling to think of Suttas where there may be some talk of an eternal god but I don't think I've ever heard of one or read one. I know he talks about Brahama quite often, which may be the closest thing to it but if i'm not mistaken isn't even Brahama not eternal?
  • God is an invention of the mind.

It is an escape from reality.
    An omnipotent god, where is he?

Buddha said there are devas, loosely translated as gods.
    According to Buddha, these beings are also afflicted by suffering.
    They are just as likely to be reborn in lower realms.

Why the need to reconcile Buddha's teaching with Hinduism?

If you like a pantheon of gods, go for Hinduism.
    It is very different from what Buddha taught.
    Nirvana said:

In the spirit of the Upanishads is offered the following excerpt from Sir Francis Younghusband's Introduction to the 1925 and 1939 editions of SOME SAYINGS OF THE BUDDHA: According to the Pali Canon:

“It is, however, in his attitude towards the idea of God that Buddha is most misrepresented. Because he refrained from making any sharp definition of God, and especially because he did not define Him as a Person —as a Father, for example— he is put down as an atheist and Buddhism is contemptuously tossed aside as unimportant. But it may have been because Buddha had too great, not too small, an idea of God that he refused to restrict himself to a sharp definition of the Deity. There are certain things which are too great to be put into words. Who, for instance, would care to define love? Buddha did not presume to define God, but both he and his disciples were saturated with the conception of a Power behind the eye that sees and the ear that hears, and behind all the phenomena of Nature. They had no hard, cold, mechanistic, materialistic view of the universe. They never conceived of it as anything else than spiritual. They assumed as a matter of course that there was a great spiritual power driving through all things as through themselves, and making for ever higher perfection. Buddhism cannot therefore be regarded as mere atheism.
    “This imputation of atheism to Buddhism has indeed aroused much resentment among students of Buddhism. The veteran Buddhist scholar, Mrs. Rhys Davids, especially has vehemently protested and contended that Buddhism is neither antitheistic nor atheistic. ‘The educated man in Buddha’s day,’ she says, ‘believed in Deity as immanent in each man, as the Most, the Highest, the Best in that man’s spiritual being or self.’
    “It seems, in fact to have been as much taken for granted that men were imbued with the Spirit of the Universe as nowadays it is assumed that Frenchmen are imbued with the spirit of France. It was taken as a matter of course that man was saturated with the Divine Universal Spirit, but it was thought no more necessary, or indeed possible, to define that Spirit in precise terms than it is for Frenchmen to define what is the spirit of France. That spirit is indeed at times symbolised in a person. In the Rubens Gallery at the Louvre, France is symbolised in the pictures as a glorious personage in a magnificent helmet. She is painted among other persons in groups. But no one would seriously regard her as standing for an actual person like the others. All recognize that the figure merely symbolises the spirit of France. In the same way in other pictures God is represented as a tremendous male figure, but no one would regard that figure as more than symbolical.
    “Now it would seem that Buddha shrank from giving even symbolical expression to the inexpressibly tremendous Spirit which actuates the Universe and drives through every one of us. To describe It —especially to describe It as a Person— was only to belittle It. He was silent on the Nature of God not from any inadequacy of appreciation, but from excess of reverence. But we can conjecture what was in his mind as to the fundamental nature of things by studying the philosophical writings which were prevalent in his day. Both he and those about him were brought up on the Upanishads and according to those writings, ancient even in Buddha’s day, there was one Source, one Power, one Reality, one Being —call It what we may— from which —and from which alone— emanated all our intellectual powers, all our faculties. and all the powers of nature. In that Great Reality we all exist as It exists in us. It permeates us through and through as the spirit of France permeates all Frenchmen. It is the source of all the activity in the world, human or natural, vital or purely physical.
    “But this Greatest, Highest, Most is not something wholly outside us and apart from us, any more than France is wholly outside Frenchmen. It is an Ideal which is actuating, drawing, compelling, and impelling us. the Upanishads regard It as the true Self in us all. If we could delve deep down within ourselves to the profoundest depths we would find the Supreme Reality. Or occasions may arise when in a flash It is revealed to us. There, in each of us, is the very essence of the whole Universe— ‘nearer to us than breathing and closer than hands and feet.’ There may not be a distant, aloof, Divine Potentate who knows all and can do anything, but working through the world may be an all-pervasive Principle constraining the whole towards an ultimate Perfection.
    “Somewhat like this was the conception of things in Gautama’s time. And it was known that the illumination of men’s true inner selves brought to the few who were privileged to experience it a Joy which transfigured their whole lives. They would have touched the Fountain Source of all that is. They would have directly experienced the Joy of Creation —the Joy from which every power and every faculty proceeds. And it was such Illumination that eventually came to Gautama. He reached Nirvana. And thenceforth he became the Buddha, the Enlightened One.

—SIR FRANCIS YOUNGHUSBAND ca 1925, from his INTRODUCTION to F.L. Woodward’s SOME SAYINGS OF THE BUDDHA

• "He who has eyes can see the sickening sight, Why does not God set his creatures right?
    If his wide power no limit can restrain, Why is his hand so rarely spread to bless?
    Why are his creatures all condemned to pain? Why does he not to all give happiness?
    Why do fraud, lies, and ignorance prevail? Why triumphs falsehood -- truth and justice fail?
    I count your God one among the unjust , who made a world in which to shelter wrong." ~ Bhuridatta Jataka"

Buddhists believe that there are beings that inhabit the various celestial realms. These are variously called angels, spirits, gods and devas by various cultures. But do Buddhists believe that a God created everything and manipulate human lives? No, we do not. There are several reasons for this. Modern sociologists and psychologists, believed that religious ideas and especially the Creator-God idea have their origin in fear. The Buddha says:

"Gripped by fear men go to the sacred mountains, sacred groves, sacred trees and shrines ~ Dhammapada 188"

Primitive man found himself in a dangerous and hostile world, the fear of wild animals, of not being able to find enough food, of injury or disease, and of natural phenomena like thunder, lightning and volcanoes was constantly with him. Finding no security, he created the idea of a God that gives him comfort in good times, courage in times of danger and consolation when things went wrong.
    pommesetoranges
    hermitwin said:

...But do Buddhists believe that a God created everything and manipulate human lives? No, we do not. ...

Speak for yourself, not all Buddhists.

Yik_Yis_Yii
  • Interesting.
    vinlyn, if i remember correctly, you do not consider yourself a buddhist...
  • jlljll Veteran
    The closest thing to God in Buddhism is Maha brahma, who has deluded himself into thinking he is The Creator.

Great Brahmas (Maha brahma) One of this realm's most famous inhabitants is the Great Brahma, a deity whose delusion leads him to regard himself as the all-powerful, all-seeing creator of the Universe. According to the Brahmajāla Sutta, a Mahā brahmā is a being from the Ābhāsvara worlds who falls into a lower world through exhaustion of his merits and is reborn alone in the Brahma-world; forgetting his former existence, he imagines himself to have come into existence without cause.
    Nirvana said:

robot
    hermitwin said:

Interesting.
    vinlyn, if i remember correctly, you do not consider yourself a buddhist...

You do not remember that correctly at all.

• vinlyn said:

Can you prove you're going on such a crusade?

Don't the death squads tell you something?
    vinlyn
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I think a little information about General Sir Francis Younghusband might put things into context.
    He was born in the middle of Queen Victoria's reign, long before any reliable translations of Buddhist texts were available in English.
    He has been described as a pioneer of hippydom..despite his army background he had all sorts of new ageish beliefs, including at one point of his life that he was in touch by cosmic rays with aliens...He ended his life as a kind of Bertrand Russell type athiest
    In brief I don't think his views on Buddhadharma OR God need detain us.

They also explain why his preface was replaced with one by Christmas Humphries.
    ( mind you there was another rum cove ...)
    personHamsaka
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Jayantha said:

vinlyn said:

fivebells said:

my main issue with this piece is that it talks about "from the pali suttas" then seems rather off with no references. The piece I posted was by a monk and also had no references but fit more from what I know from reading the suttas. Bottom line is if someone is going to use the pali suttas as a basis, they better have references, yes even monks. This is why I always try to post reference links in my thread so people know it's not coming out of thin air from me.

There is a difference between "this is what I think" and " this is what the suttas say". Hell it wasn't even a " well this is what I think the suttas say" kind of thing it was more matter of fact. I've been struggling to think of Suttas where there may be some talk of an eternal god but I don't think I've ever heard of one or read one. I know he talks about Brahama quite often, which may be the closest thing to it but if i'm not mistaken isn't even Brahama not eternal?
    I agree with what you've said mostly but wanted to clarify the Brahma part. Brahma is not eternal but it is the creative aspect of Brahman. Brahman is seen as the eternal, not Brahma. Many people mistake Brahma for Brahman but Brahman is the original holy trinity or the Trimurti.

The creative aspect which is Brahma, the destructive aspect which is Shiva and the preserver of knowledge which is Vishnu. Vishnu is the aspect of Brahman that takes form as sentient beings.

From what I understand, Brahman would not have any one identity except when personified through either the three aspects of the Trimurti or as an awakened avatar of Vishnu. Because of the teachings of the Buddha and what most people believed at the time (in that area), he was mistaken for an awakened avater of Vishnu because that is what Krishna is said to be in the Gita. It was Krishna that proclaimed he could remember every past life he had ever lived and so Buddha had to explain that he was nothing special.

But Brahman... Brahman is more like the Tao.

Personally, I think it goes without saying that an Abrahamic notion of God does not compute in light of the awakened mind because the God of the Bible suffers from hatred, jealousy and rage. It just simply makes no sense to have an ultimate being suffer from silly delusions of grandeur.

Teachings that line up with what Jesus taught can surely go hand in hand but I have a feeling Buddha had heard somehow about Abrahams God just like I'm sure Jesus had heard in passing the tales of Buddha.

Maybe Buddha didn't talk about Brahman because he didn't want it to be confused for what we know as the Biblical God.

I think to Buddha, the Biblical God is actually Brahma, but certainly not Brahman, the eternal and ultimate being.

BhikkhuJayasaraJainarayanThaiLotus
  • If one's conceptual notion of God can be undermined by Buddhist doctrine then rightly so, because the mind must be divested of such in order to ascend to that which is revealed in divine ignorance, but if one uses their conceptual notion as a form of confirmation bias to prove their belief then that is all together a different kind of ignorance.
    lobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2014
    @ourself It is unlikely in the extreme that the Buddha would have known about the concepts that surround the Biblical God.
    vinlyn
    ourself said:

Jayantha said:

vinlyn said:

fivebells said:

I agree with what you've said mostly but wanted to clarify the Brahma part. Brahma is not eternal but it is the creative aspect of Brahman. Brahman is seen as the eternal, not Brahma. Many people mistake Brahma for Brahman but Brahman is the original holy trinity or the Trimurti.

The creative aspect which is Brahma, the destructive aspect which is Shiva and the preserver of knowledge which is Vishnu. Vishnu is the aspect of Brahman that takes form as sentient beings.

From what I understand, Brahman would not have any one identity except when personified through either the three aspects of the Trimurti or as an awakened avatar of Vishnu. Because of the teachings of the Buddha and what most people believed at the time (in that area), he was mistaken for an awakened avater of Vishnu because that is what Krishna is said to be in the Gita. It was Krishna that proclaimed he could remember every past life he had ever lived and so Buddha had to explain that he was nothing special.

But Brahman... Brahman is more like the Tao.

Personally, I think it goes without saying that an Abrahamic notion of God does not compute in light of the awakened mind because the God of the Bible suffers from hatred, jealousy and rage. It just simply makes no sense to have an ultimate being suffer from silly delusions of grandeur.

Teachings that line up with what Jesus taught can surely go hand in hand but I have a feeling Buddha had heard somehow about Abrahams God just like I'm sure Jesus had heard in passing the tales of Buddha.

Maybe Buddha didn't talk about Brahman because he didn't want it to be confused for what we know as the Biblical God.

I think to Buddha, the Biblical God is actually Brahma, but certainly not Brahman, the eternal and ultimate being.

thank you for taking the time to explain this.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    @Citta, ok, I guess "sure" is a strong word there. You are probably right but I do imagine he had heard about the concept before within Brahma oriented faith systems. When he addressed Brahma in the suttas, he may as well have said Yahweh. He would not equate Yahweh with Brahman (the ultimate being in Brahmanism or what we now know as Hinduism), in my opinion.

@Jayantha, no problem. Not many people realize that Hinduism is actually monotheistic.

• Brahma was/is not seen as the sole Creator. The dynamic that is set in motion by that takes the Abrahamic religions on a very different course to anything found in the Vedas or Upanishads.
  • Actually I agree. And i would include explaining one religious view by subsuming it into an entirely different one. Lets live and let live.
  • Yeah, that's the thing about Younghusband's position, it's effectively an ignorant dismissal by explaining Buddhism away in terms of something he's already comfortable with.
    fivebells said:

Yeah, that's the thing about Younghusband's position, it's effectively an ignorant dismissal by explaining Buddhism away in terms of something he's already comfortable with.

How is that really that different than many of the posts on here discussing the issue from the position they're already comfortable with?

• Hopefully they're not making baseless claims about other people's states of mind simply because they find them personally comforting.
    edited February 2014

After many years on Buddhist sites and having witnessed innumerable discussions, I have come to the conclusion that any discussion about belief/non-belief, faith/non-faith in God as Creator or Maintainer or Ground of Being is futile and divisive. It leads, as the above shows all too clearly to disagreement rather than any real attempt to find common ground from which we can move forward together as even a Net sangha should. Each person asserts their view as "right" thus discarding all other views as "wrong": a fatal slide into dualism and verbal duelling.

I see that on other general religion forums but here we all seem to understand the difference between believing and knowing. It will only get divisive if people are too attached to their views. Then that maybe needs to be addressed eventually anyways.

However, this thread isn't about that. Its about whether the idea of God can survive a Buddhist understanding period.

I think it can as long as we leave the need for an absolute beginning out of it and don't assign a personality.

The question I always ask is why does God need to have created everything?

lobsterHamsaka
    ourself said:

Simply because we don't experience things out of nowhere.

When I got up this morning, breakfast wasn't just sitting there out of nowhere.

When the gas station/convenience store next door was built, it wasn't an empty lot one day, and then the next morning there it was.

The tree that grew in my field when I was a kid, grew there because I planted it there.

And so, many of assume that just as trees don't magically appear out of nothing, neither does a solar system.

• Is it a belief that there was ever nothing, or is it a fact?
    I am uneducated. What does science say about the universe coming from nothing?
    vinlyn said:

ourself said:

Simply because we don't experience things out of nowhere.

When I got up this morning, breakfast wasn't just sitting there out of nowhere.

When the gas station/convenience store next door was built, it wasn't an empty lot one day, and then the next morning there it was.

The tree that grew in my field when I was a kid, grew there because I planted it there.

And so, many of assume that just as trees don't magically appear out of nothing, neither does a solar system.

But God does?

Nobody I know thinks anything came from nowhere or nothing. These are not even real designations.

@Ourself, nothing I say is going to change your mind, nor is anything you are going to say going to change my mind.

But the great question of man -- "why are we here" -- has not yet been answered. And I am open to all the possibilities. But I am not sure that everyone here is open to whatever that answer is.

By coincidence, I happen to be watching a documentary about Darwin and creationism. Some of the things that the most enthusiastic Christians say on the documentary just don't ring true to me.

But for me -- a science teacher who taught evolution and believes in it -- to believe that all life came from stromatolites (probably the most common belief of scientists), and that your heart, and your retinas, and your brain evolved by sheer accident from blue-green algae...well, I simply find that difficult to believe, as well.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Whenever 'God speaks to me' I ask, 'who the hell do you think you are?'. Works like a charm.

I think there is a maxim: 'If you meet God on the road, consider Her Buddha road kill and dharmic food stuff . . .
    http://www.dailybuddhism.com/archives/670
  • How can people argue over something as vaguely defined as God? Sometimes I think of God as something like the Jhana of infinite consciousness. Similar to I am that I am of the bible? Some say God is real, and us and the world are the illusion. Buddhism seems to view everything as empty.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    vinlyn said:

But for me -- a science teacher who taught evolution and believes in it -- to believe that all life came from stromatolites (probably the most common belief of scientists), and that your heart, and your retinas, and your brain evolved by sheer accident from blue-green algae...well, I simply find that difficult to believe, as well.

Speaking of retinas, if the human eye evolved by design (rather than through blind material processes), it wasn't a very good one.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Why so? It just requires gradual adaptation over geological time scales.
    robot
    vinlyn said:

It's all a process of dependent arising. All of it.
    robot
    vinlyn said:

@Ourself, nothing I say is going to change your mind, nor is anything you are going to say going to change my mind.

Never say never. My mind has been changed in the past by taking other views into consideration so it wouldn't be the first time.
    But the great question of man -- "why are we here" -- has not yet been answered. And I am open to all the possibilities. But I am not sure that everyone here is open to whatever that answer is.
    I'm not even sure there is a why. Why does there have to be a why?
    By coincidence, I happen to be watching a documentary about Darwin and creationism. Some of the things that the most enthusiastic Christians say on the documentary just don't ring true to me.

What do you mean by accident? An accident implies things not going off as planned. If all the conditions are potentially able to come together then it is bound to happen eventually.

However, what I was saying is that I don't see why the universe would need a beginning at all. It isn't like the universe is a thing or a place... It is the sum of all that exists, anywhere.

We can't have God with no universe but we can have universe with no God. As long as there is anything to exist anywhere (including God) then there is universe.

Boldly, I say that there is no such thing as nothing and so the universe has always been.

swaydam said:

How can people argue over something as vaguely defined as God? Sometimes I think of God as something like the Jhana of infinite consciousness. Similar to I am that I am of the bible? Some say God is real, and us and the world are the illusion. Buddhism seems to view everything as empty.

When I hear somebody say that I get the feeling they have not read the nasty things the divine being says and does in the Bible. But I do agree with your sentiment.

Why let such a little thing as God come between us?
    edited February 2014
    robot said:

Is it a belief that there was ever nothing, or is it a fact?
    I am uneducated. What does science say about the universe coming from nothing?

Even Hawkings admits that they misuse the term "nothing".

Logically, if there was ever truely nothing then there couldn't be any potential to change from nothing and there would still be nothing. That means there is absolutely zero energy.

We wouldn't even be able to delude ourselves into thinking there was anything if there was ever a time of absolutely nothing.

I had someone try to cite a study that proves we can get something from nothing but they actually had to start out with two charged plates. I couldn't help but laugh at the guy... As if two charged plates is the definition of nothing.

Every single scientist that tries to explain how something can come from nothing always end up having their so called nothing be something afterall.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Even Shakespeare knew this:

....what can you say to draw
    A third more opulent than your sisters? Speak.

CORDELIA
    Nothing, my lord.

KING LEAR
    Nothing!

CORDELIA
    Nothing.

KING LEAR
    Nothing will come of nothing: speak again.
    Even TCM insists that in the begining was the Void, the great nothing that contained all; and at one point, a subtle shift, as discreet as a wink behind an eyepatch, occurred, and the WuJi was brought into being.... which then divided into yin and yang.... But even TCM acknowledges 'the nothing' filled with 'the all'....
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Why bother positing that the historical Buddha was a crypo-Christian-Theist when Buddhism as a system already has an adi-Buddha (primordial Buddha), Dharmakaya and Vairocana, all of which have a lot of the same properties of mono-theistic god? Or the versions of Buddhism that mix Hinduism and Buddhism, where you have a god and people souls all conflated into a single entity (brahma)?

And the issue of there being gods but not a creator god is such fine scholastic nitpicking, like being an atheist with respects to a kitchen god, but being fine with restaurant gods, or, well, a personal Dharmakaya that will do something for you if only you were more sincere in your offerings.
    edited February 2014
    Jason said:

Speaking of retinas, if the human eye evolved by design (rather than through blind material processes), it wasn't a very good one.

I think they are a lot of examples like that in evolutionary history. And if there was an "intelligent" designer, then why didn't he / she / it set things up so humans turned out all wise and peaceful, not subject to the ravages of old age, disease and death?

Or to put it in Biblical terms, why did God set up Adam and Eve to fail in the Garden of Eden? Why not let them eat apples to their hearts content and have an idyllic life, and make friends with devious talking snakes and unicorns and suchlike? ;)
    Or to put it another way, why not just put people straight into Heaven?!
This discussion has been closed.