Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation with tinnitus

My partner is interested in meditation along with myself but she is deafened, caused by her genetic condition. Will it be possible/achievable to meditate fully with the constant ringing or indeed is it something that could be overcome in time once more experienced?.

Comments

• I've been working with this type of meditation:

http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1435

It may be worthwhile in checking it out considering the focus is more on the soma/body/felt sense verses say any other modally of sensory data.

as a side note.

not sure if the condition your partner is in can be overcome but certainly how one relates to it can change, which in turn can allow for co-existence without suffering.

but check out focusing and see if it resonates. if not, i hope you find something that works with your circumstances. best wishes!
    Dandelion
  • Many thanks for your reply.
    The condition will always be there and although she is in my view a strong person when dealing with it, anything that may help that bit more in her everyday life to accept and deal with what most take for granted.
  • Medicine Buddha practices might resonate with you
    http://www.dharma-haven.org/tibetan/medicine-buddha.htm

Mantra or sound based meditation would be the area to explore.
    Good luck :)
    Bunks
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran
    I have tinnitus as well but it disappears completely when I have modicum of concentration in meditation but as soon as I think about it, it comes back again.
    lobsterChaz
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Meditated for years (Soto Zen) with and without tinnitus. Never saw a reason why it would limit ones meditation.
    Chazlobster
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    I have tinnitus and meditate with it.

My advice would be to get your partner to a qualified meditation instructor.

The trick is to not let the tinnitus become the object of your meditation by fixating on it. A good MI can teach you that.
  • @taiyaki Could you please post a link describing the practice from a different source or maybe write its name, so I could look for it on my own. I'm curious and can't access this particular site.
  • Many many thanks for all your replies.
    This will no doubt be beneficial for her. If she could use meditation to remove the only sound that she has heard for the last 12 years and the one that she would love to be able to forget for even a short while.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Chaz said:

The trick is to not let the tinnitus become the object of your meditation by fixating on it. A good MI can teach you that.

Very true.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have constant 24/7 tinnitus. I have incorporated it into my practice and accepted it for what it is. I find the situation worsens if I fight or resist it. If I 'work' with it, it becomes tolerable. Like a good friend you truly love, but who talks too much....
    AlpinaanatamanJeffrey
  • I put off beginning a meditation practice for years because I have tinnitus. It was more an excuse than anything. Once I began meditation, I found tinnitus to be only a very minor issue that went away as my practice deepened.
    Chaz
  • federica said:

I have constant 24/7 tinnitus. I have incorporated it into my practice and accepted it for what it is. I find the situation worsens if I fight or resist it. If I 'work' with it, it becomes tolerable. Like a good friend you truly love, but who talks too much....

Me too. If it becomes too intrusive during meditation I let the attention rest on it in a relaxed way for a while. Then I return to the object.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@taiyaki Could you please post a link describing the practice from a different source or maybe write its name, so I could look for it on my own. I'm curious and can't access this particular site.

If you have an email address, you can private message it to me and I will copy and paste the article to your email so that you can read it, if you would like.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Does anyone think that there is a 'hunger' equivalent of tinnitus?

Mettha
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    federica said:

Maybe it's a bit like having physical aches and pains, you acknowledge them but don't dwell on them.
  • I have tinnitus to although very mild. Like Federica do not fight or resist it, because it gains power that way. Allow it to be there.