Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Temple vs. a windfarm

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
$40M Buddhist Temple being built in Canada....Governement approves
windfarm next door. There seems to be some concerns....from both sides.
Anyone here have an opinion on it?

'Meditation aside, he fears the turbines will affect “the ability to enjoy your property, the sheer ability to sit outside. Remember this is a 747 turned on its side that’s rotating.”

Wow...all that money, and no quiet, hahaha.

http://buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=66,11774,0,0,1,0

Comments

• Hmm.... Interesting to see how this will play out.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I hope the propellers don't squeak.
    Vastmind
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    This is pretty comical actually lol..

Not just the whole turbine thing.. But the 40 million dollar temple.. redculious.

Im sure the temple is on a ton of property, build up on the side furthest from the windfarm lol.
    Vastmindanataman
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    ^^^ $40 mil IKR?

Some of these people apparently wouldn't last very long
    at the Temple I go to. .... If noise is a problem for sitting.
    We hear gun shots, 2 railroads, and an instant tent tabernackle
    has even popped up on us, hahah and they had speakers and
    mics.. A loud corner store...druggies fighting outside...
    anyway.

I thought the quiet had to be created on the inside...
    not the outside. ;)
    vinlynlobsteranatamanDavid
    edited February 2014
    Vastmind said:

^^^ $40 mil IKR?

Some of these people apparently wouldn't last very long
    at the Temple I go to. .... If noise is a problem for sitting.
    We hear gun shots, 2 railroads, and an instant tent tabernackle
    has even popped up on us, hahah and they had speakers and
    mics.. A loud corner store...druggies fighting outside...
    anyway.

I thought the quiet had to be created on the inside...
    not the outside. ;)

Thats it? :-P I hear gun shots from hunters at the forest monastery all the time, no druggies though lol. My worst meditation nemisis was a cricket in the meditation hall who didnt stop during a 2 hour meditation when i was on retreat.

This great teacher, ajahn cricket, after much struggle on my part, taught me the meaning of Ajahn Chah's phrase.." Is the noise bothering you or are you bothering the noise. "

AJAHN Cricket visits occasionally and has become an old friend, and for the most part sound has become just sound. Sound is definitly a very hard lesson to learn, especially when people have expectations that meditation is supposed to be silent. I think this is one of the main reasons i enjoy meditating outside.. No such thing as silent meditation in a forest.

My goal is to be able to sit down in the middle of a city and have all the chaos become "just this".. Maybe one of these lifetimes haha.
    NextElementVastmindInvincible_summer
  • Maybe the propellers will actually benefit?! They can drown out other, more invasive sounds (gunshots, cars) and be a steady white noise.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Many temples in Japan consider a location near a highway a boon to a meditation practice. They say that meditation is to be mastered and manifested in the world, not limited to some isolated environment.

If the windfarm is already there, are they worried that the new neighbouring meditaters might cause some harmonic difficulties for the windfarm?

Around here folks will buy and build on property beside a long established mushroom farm and then complain about the smell??? Idiocy!
    BhikkhuJayasaraInvincible_summer
    how said:

Many temples in Japan consider a location near a highway a boon to a meditation practice. They say that meditation is to be mastered and manifested in the world, not limited to some isolated environment.

If the windfarm is already there, are they worried that the new neighbouring meditaters might cause some harmonic difficulties for the windfarm?

Around here folks will buy and build on property beside a long established mushroom farm and then complain about the smell??? Idiocy!

That happens in nj all the time.. People buy near a motor speedway and complain about the noise.. Due to NJ being the most populated state in the union the last few yeara have seen a lot of people dealing with bears in suburban neighborhoods.

Personally i think they are lucky, all the years ive been in deep woods ive never seen a live bear! And they get to have em at their home.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Jayantha
    Had my head sniffed by a bear while kayak/camping in Haida Gwaii 10 years ago. Was storm stuck on a small beach with a mother bear and her cub for 3 days on the north end of Vancouver Island 2 years ago. One seldom kayaks on the North coast without some critter pointing out how much lower on the food chain you actually are.
    robotVastmindInvincible_summer
    how said:

@Jayantha
    Had my head sniffed by a bear while kayak/camping in Haida Gwaii 10 years ago. Was storm stuck on a small beach with a mother bear and her cub for 3 days on the north end of Vancouver Island 2 years ago. One seldom kayaks on the North coast without some critter pointing out how much lower on the food chain you actually are.

I need to go to canada :-)
    Invincible_summer
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Noise doesn't get me.

Smells do. I'm used to the incense...but if they're preparing
    for a ceremony and there's huge arrangements of fresh flowers....
    I'm a sloppy, sitting mess. It steals my nose and mind, every time. :)

Quote of the week goes to....... Ajahn Chah!
    " Is the noise bothering you or are you bothering the noise. "

BhikkhuJayasara