Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Trades industry

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
Hey all. Good to see some old members are still here.

I am going to be taking a college course (hopefully if I get accepted), called Pre-trades and technology. I have decided to try to learn more about the trades because honestly I don't know much about them. I chose the course because the pay is good and the demand is high, it's something the world needs and I can work all over the place. Also I believe there is a green energy course that I can get into if I take the course.

Trades are things like carpentry, plumbing, construction, auto repair, etc. Working with your hands. That's about all I know.

Why are they called trades?
Bunks

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I think they are called traders because back in the day they were services that were often traded for. "I'll fix your car if you fix my toilet." It's based on skill and manual labor, which people often traded until more recent times.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Good luck @shanyin!
  • Awesome stuff! My first full time job at 17 was learning the painting trade and doing it for 5 years. It's one of the best things a young or old person can do, to learn a trade and make money. You can support yourself and see the fruit of your labor immediately.
    Bunks
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    After you take the pre trades course you need to decide which trade you want to go in to. Then you start apprenticeship training, which is a combination of school and on the job experience. It is a really good way to go.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    They are called the trades because they don't have advanced university "professional" degrees. But times are changing. I can recall some twenty-five years ago when TV ads referred to such things as plastic wrap and aluminum foil as the things "that professionals use, that is "professional bakers."

Have fun, Shanyin!