Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

More Myanmar nonsense and an epiphany.

Well, the "nonsense" part is my own opinion. We seem to have the monks pushing for a law that forces the man (we can assume a Muslim man) to convert to Buddhism before he's allowed to marry one of their Buddhist women. In other words, the woman and any children aren't allowed to convert to Islam. Just how this will be enforced isn't mentioned. I think the monks are just assuming no Muslim man will ever convert, so that will ban all mixed marriages without actually saying so.

rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/28/myanmar-leader-proposes-law-to-protect-buddhists-from-interfaith-marriages/

When I first became a Buddhist I was proud that no war had ever been fought in the name of Buddhism. No Buddhist crusade or forced conversions for this enlightened religion! But eventually I got over that. I had an epiphany one day. It was while trying to reconcile the actual history of Tibet against the enlightened society I expected from a Buddhist theocracy, but it serves for all Buddhist nations. I think it's important to see Buddhism and Buddhists for what it is, warts and all. However, I might be too cynical. I really am interested in opposing views out there.

This conflict isn't about Buddhism. It's about tribal identity. But that doesn't mean we can say, "Oh, this is not Buddhism at work. Those aren't good monks who understand the Dharma, not if they're calling for violence."

This is Buddhism as tribal identity. All religions are deeply interwoven into the culture's tribal identity and the actual message is secondary to the symbol. It's human nature at work. Religion becomes not something you practice, it becomes who you are. It's the same for all the religions.

If wars were not fought in the name of Buddhism, it's either because both nations were already Buddhist, or the war was fought in the name of the Emperor and he didn't need a justification. When it comes to tribes, Buddhism is just another label to fight over or defend when it comes to those other tribes that worship a different god.

vinlynVastmindlobsterInvincible_summeranataman

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2014
    It's just as wrong to use a religion as an excuse for conflict in Buddhism as it is in Christianity. Both religions either command or recommend their followers abstain from killing or harming.
    The cause, basis, foundation or cultural identity be damned.
    Many Christians believe killing is wrong.
    Many Muslims believe killing is wrong.
    Many Buddhists believe killing is wrong.

It's wrong, no matter who, no matter what.
    So imposing specific rules based purely on religious prejudice - is wrong.
    No matter who, no matter what.
    CinorjerVastmindlobsteranataman
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited March 2014
    This is nuts to me!
    Wars over basic stuff......
    KIlling people over issues and just situations....... :(
    No country should/needs to be telling anyone who
    they can hang out with and what they should do.
    Especially marriage and sex.
    Who the hell cares what I'm doing?
    Anyway.....
    This is control issues.
    And control issues don't stand up for
    very long if your practicing...just sayin'.
    A 'radical monk' ?? Yeah, no shit.

People being bad/sad Buddhists... :(

Another reason why more women should run
    things....hahaha
    Cinorjerlobsteranataman
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    I too had unrealistic pie in the sky notions of Buddhists growing up, it's part of our society. These days I'm not so sure there HASN'T been any forced conversions or "religious" wars, especially after reading Forest Recollections and seeing how down right bastard the Thai government and "administration" monks were/are.in the last 100 years they waged a systematic "war" of conversion to "state buddhism" and bringing those poor tribal villagers to the triple gem.

The practice has shown me that there is no difference between a Muslim human and a Buddhist human, they are both mired in attachment, aversion, and delusion and capable of the same crap, and I'm right there along with them! it's like one big "kumbaya" singing circle that goes on for eternity and eventually you are happy you die to get respite but then you come back and get thrown into the circle.. no wonder Siddhartha wanted out, i do too.
    Vastmind said:

Another reason why more women should run
    things....hahaha

I'm not so convinced women would do it any better then men.. I work with 100 women and I've seen their politics ahaha, women and man are humans with the same issues just like Muslims and Buddhists.
    ZenshinCinorjerHamsakaInvincible_summer
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    There's no proof women WOULD do it any better - or worse - than men, because nobody has ever permitted it to happen....
    The only way to find out, would be to make it possible.
    Which I doubt will happen any time soon.

I do think there should be more women in the mix though....
    VastmindlobsterInvincible_summer
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Hillary is coming!
    BhikkhuJayasaralobster
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Don't forget Margaret Thatcher, Angela Merkel, Indira Gandhi.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited March 2014
    federica said:

There's no proof women WOULD do it any better - or worse - than men, because nobody has ever permitted it to happen....
    The only way to find out, would be to make it possible.
    Which I doubt will happen any time soon.

I do think there should be more women in the mix though....

the proof is in the mind, unless somehow a woman's mind is at it's core very different then a mans, which as far as I know it is not. I don't see how things would be very different no matter which gender ruled.

Perhaps if we amended the constitution for the executive branch in America to have one male and one female president who had equal power lol, now that would be an interesting show. Men and Women seem to come together to make a good "team" as it were, playing off of each others strengths and weaknesses. This is probably one of the reasons why we've survived as long as we have.
    The Fantastic Four!!

Can you imagine them all getting together - AND co-operating - ?

(No, neither can I..... )

:lol:
    BhikkhuJayasaraCinorjerKundo
  • This is Buddhism as tribal identity. All religions are deeply interwoven into the culture's tribal identity and the actual message is secondary to the symbol. It's human nature at work. Religion becomes not something you practice, it becomes who you are. It's the same for all the religions.
    Indeed.
    For me it is how we become independent of gender, tribe, species, affiliation to memes, memories and scandalous skandhas, meditational or spiritual states and our cushions. As for lousy sangha, must be the Kali Yuga.
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/whatistheself/a/skandhasexplan.htm

Do we maybe need a Western missionary movement to put these Dharma heretics right? Maybe not . . .
    Jayantha said:

the proof is in the mind, unless somehow a woman's mind is at it's core very different then a mans, which as far as I know it is not.

Post-enlightenment, probably not.
    Pre-enlightenment, there is much evidence in existence to indicate that the two minds DO function differently, in certain key areas...
    I don't see how things would be very different no matter which gender ruled.
    You know what they say:
    If women ruled the world, there would be no wars; just intense negotiations every 28 days....
    Perhaps if we amended the constitution for the executive branch in America to have one male and one female president who had equal power lol, now that would be an interesting show.
    I'd vote for it....!
    Men and Women seem to come together to make a good "team" as it were, playing off of each others strengths and weaknesses. This is probably one of the reasons why we've survived as long as we have.
    If you actually believe that, you really don't know a great deal about the history of social events solely surrounding gender factors.
    But this is off-topic, and I think, after addressing your comments here, we should stick to topic.
    I'm not trying to have the last word; PM me if you wish to continue.
    But this is not the place....
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    federica said:

You know what they say:
    If women ruled the world, there would be no wars; just intense negotiations every 28 days....

Dare I mention Maggie Thatcher and the Falklands War?

edited March 2014
    someone already mentioned her.

But you're missing her point: She reacted to assist sovereign land.
    Whether the Falklands should 'belong' to Argentina or not, the fact is, it was British soil at the time - and still is.
    Without her intervention, it could all have gone very wrong for the inhabitants.
    She fought a war for a very good reason; in 'defence of the realm'.
    She was justified in Law - both national AND international - and she succeeded.
    But she reacted under provocation.
    She didn't 'start' it.

Back to topic please.
  • federica said:

someone already mentioned her.

But you're missing her point: She reacted to assist sovereign land.
    Whether the Falklands should 'belong' to Argentina or not, the fact is, it was British soil at the time - and still is.
    Without her intervention, it could all have gone very wrong for the inhabitants.
    She fought a war for a very good reason; in 'defence of the realm'.
    She was justified in Law - both national AND international - and she succeeded.
    But she reacted under provocation.
    She didn't 'start' it.

Back to topic please.

You're already rationalizing it, as only a man would, lol.
    federica said:

Back to topic please.

No problem, but I was responding to an off-topic post that you wrote.
    "Do as I say, not as I do"? :p
    vinlyn
  • Cinorjer said:

Well, the "nonsense" part is my own opinion. We seem to have the monks pushing for a law that forces the man (we can assume a Muslim man) to convert to Buddhism before he's allowed to marry one of their Buddhist women. In other words, the woman and any children aren't allowed to convert to Islam. Just how this will be enforced isn't mentioned. I think the monks are just assuming no Muslim man will ever convert, so that will ban all mixed marriages without actually saying so.

rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/28/myanmar-leader-proposes-law-to-protect-buddhists-from-interfaith-marriages/

When I first became a Buddhist I was proud that no war had ever been fought in the name of Buddhism. No Buddhist crusade or forced conversions for this enlightened religion! But eventually I got over that. I had an epiphany one day. It was while trying to reconcile the actual history of Tibet against the enlightened society I expected from a Buddhist theocracy, but it serves for all Buddhist nations. I think it's important to see Buddhism and Buddhists for what it is, warts and all. However, I might be too cynical. I really am interested in opposing views out there.

This conflict isn't about Buddhism. It's about tribal identity. But that doesn't mean we can say, "Oh, this is not Buddhism at work. Those aren't good monks who understand the Dharma, not if they're calling for violence."

This is Buddhism as tribal identity. All religions are deeply interwoven into the culture's tribal identity and the actual message is secondary to the symbol. It's human nature at work. Religion becomes not something you practice, it becomes who you are. It's the same for all the religions.

If wars were not fought in the name of Buddhism, it's either because both nations were already Buddhist, or the war was fought in the name of the Emperor and he didn't need a justification. When it comes to tribes, Buddhism is just another label to fight over or defend when it comes to those other tribes that worship a different god.

Maybe, you'd have to live in Myammar or other similar places to understand why the monk there acted the way he did. Common sense says, that has nothing to do with Buddha or Buddhism.

Monks in Myammar may be pushing for a law that forces people to convert to Buddhism before they are allowed to marry; something which are not new actually, just that it has always been the Buddhists who are at the losing ends.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_Malaysia

The said monk probably would not be able to tolerate this too.

http://forums.techarp.com/adrian-wong/23682-malaysia-land-body-snatchers.html
    Monks are after all human first, Buddhists second.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited March 2014
    footiam said:

The said monk probably would not be able to tolerate this too.

http://forums.techarp.com/adrian-wong/23682-malaysia-land-body-snatchers.html
    Monks are after all human first, Buddhists second.

Why should it be up to the monk to either tolerate or condone or engage in a crusade against sharia law that escalates to a program of ethnic cleansing?

And nowhere am I saying Buddhists or the Myanmar Buddhists in particular are worse than other cultures. Pointing out the abuses of other cultures to defend the abuses of our own is a time honored way of excusing our own actions. I will burn down the house of that innocent Muslim down the street because of something a Muslim is supposed to have done in another city. That guy didn't do anything to me, but it doesn't matter. He isn't innocent any more because he's one of them. They're all guilty. That's where this ends up.

Of course any list of known human rights abuses puts the Muslim world in a harsh light, with its male dominated and exclusive rules. I disagree that monk in Myanmar would have any problem at all with the tables turned, if a Buddhist son had announced the sudden conversion of his father and taken the inheritance for himself. It's exactly the same. What does this case you mention have to do with Myanmar monks insisting on their own version of sharia law?

But the fact that any religion can be used as an excuse to divide by all cultures is my point. This is Buddhism as tribal identity, not a spiritual path. But it's still Buddhism, just not the face we'd like to see.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    footiam said:

Monks in Myammar may be pushing for a law that forces people to convert to Buddhism before they are allowed to marry; something which are not new actually, just that it has always been the Buddhists who are at the losing ends.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_Malaysia

In general, that's not correct. Malaysia is a predominantly Muslim country. So yes, you could say that Buddhists are on the losing end there, although I never saw much discrimination against Buddhists when I've been there. Plenty of Buddhist temples and an apparent freedom to congregate.

And just one country away, Buddhists are always on the winning end, and Muslims distinctly on the losing end in Thailand.

Cinorjer said:

But the fact that any religion can be used as an excuse to divide by all cultures is my point. This is Buddhism as tribal identity, not a spiritual path.

Yes, and it seems to have been a common occurence throughout history. Perhaps though we can say that Buddhism has been less prone to it than some of the other main religions?
  • Cinorjer said:

But the fact that any religion can be used as an excuse to divide by all cultures is my point. This is Buddhism as tribal identity, not a spiritual path.

Yes, and it seems to have been a common occurence throughout history. Perhaps though we can say that Buddhism has been less prone to it than some of the other main religions?
    I'd have to give you that, I think. But when it comes to expansionistic Empires, who can say how much behavior is affected by the religion, and how much the religion reflects normal human belligerence? About all we can really say is that once the temples or Priests or Monks become part of or dependent on the ruling class, they always end up just another tool to be used along with an army.