Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

books you read when you were 12 that changed your life in positive ways

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
:D

Mine would be "The Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen, plane crashes in a lake in the Yukon and he has to survive in the wild for a few months. Fascinating journey and he learns a lot about himself and nature. Made me love reading.

What else is golden?

:)

asking partially so I can guve my friend who is homeschooling her three kids some awesome recommendations :D

Comments

• How old are the kids?
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    My 11 year old is enthral led by the Hunger Games at the moment, which is amazing as getting him to read a cereal packet to decide his breakfast is often a challenge. My 10 year old an avid reader is reading northern lights by Philip Pullman it's the first book in an epic trilogy. A book I recently read and is awesome is the curious incident of the dog in the by Mark Haddon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The little white horse
    The little white sea horse
    Horsemen on the hills
    (lots of horses, aren't there?)
    Dickon among the Indians
    Little House on the prairie
    Hailstones and Halibut Bones
    Palgrave's Golden Treasury of Poetry
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    The Secret World of Og by Pierre Berton.

Opened my mind. Changed my life.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Don't know why theyrest of the title is missing:

'it the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime'
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    fivebells said:

How old are the kids?

@fivebells

Three boys from like 12 to 16? They are rather precocious and read things about quantum physics and making thornocopters... so stuff suitable to an average 16-20 y.o. could be wonderful too. Essentially looking to inspire them and expand their world view. Prime 'em for auspicious times to come.

Thanks so far guys. @Chaz I'll definitely recommend that one to momma bear.
  • yagryagr Veteran
    edited March 2014
    Though I was younger than twelve years old at the time, the first book that changed my life was Jonathon Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. For the first time in my young life, I didn't feel alone.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Gee, times have changed. At age 12 I was enjoying Walter Farley's Black Stallion and other horse-related books.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I just read cricket books when I was 12. Probably not really appropriate for what you're after ;)
  • Catch-22

Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War (may be a little too much about political infighting for that age to appreciate it... Damn good, though.)

The Diamond Age: A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer
    Cryptonomicon
    Anathem

The State of the Art by Ian M. Banks

The Feynman memoirs.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I read an astronomy book by Fred Hoyle and a nice book about a boy making friends with a horse...:p
  • Oh, that reminds me of Carl Sagan's Contact, though I suspect it hasn't aged well.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    fivebells said:

Oh, that reminds me of Carl Sagan's Contact, though I suspect it hasn't aged well.

I liked the film and especially Jodie Foster..;)
    Bunks
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    At 12 I think I started getting into the Zanth books by Piers Anthony. The Land of Zanth is a wonderful and punny place shaped like Florida but changes locations which obscures it from the mundane.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Eye live inn the Land of Xanth, witch is dis-stinked from Mundaina inn that their is magic inn Xanth and nun inn Mundania. Every won inn Xanth has his own magig talent; know to are the same. Sum khan sore threw the heir. Butt inn Mundania know won does magic, sew its very dull. They're are knot any dragons their. Instead their are bare and hoarse and a grate many other monsters. Hour ruler is King Trent, whoo has rained four seventeen years. He transforms people two other creatures. Know won gets chaste hear; oui fair inn piece. My tail is dun.
    - Dor
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    At 12 I was mostly reading Stephen King behind my parents' backs, so I'm not much hel there, LOL.
    My kids, at those ages, really liked Narnia (I still enjoy reading Narnia, actually), A Wrinkle in Time, Hunger Games, Harry Potter. I have all boys, so they tend to read somewhat different things that girls. I remember totally loving Judy Bloom books as I was starting to grow up, and...Beverly Cleary. I was a little younger than 12 I think, more like 10 maybe but depends on the kid. Many of those books allowed me to see things in another light. Jack London as well, To Start a Fire, Call of the Wild. They were books I could relate to.
    I don't know if I'd say they all changed my life or my kids' lives, but reading in general opens a lot of doors. My teenager (17) despises anything that is fiction. He has a hard time understanding emotions and relationships, and the life changing authors for him are Machio Kaku and Neill DeGrasse Tyson and Carl Sagan. So, it really, really depends on the kid, for sure.
  • LiiLii Explorer
    Hatchet was a great one. Call of the Wild, Nancy Drew, biographies were my favorite