Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Changing ones mind

I know it's long...and unfortunately, it's probably not all necessary but I don't know what to take out.

One of the greatest challenges that I have had in recent years is getting along with my wife's dog. Until she got this dog, I don't think I had ever met an animal that I didn't like, or at least have compassion for. Such thoughts and feelings led me to become a vegetarian many years ago. Then he came into our lives.

The dog has brain damage of some sort. He was a rescue from a meth lab and we suspect that he got into the product before being abandoned at four weeks old. He is sixty kilo's, frightened of everything, clingy to a degree I've never seen before in any creature...I could go on but let me stop to say that my wife has trained service dogs before and knows how to train a dog - this one is absolutely incapable of learning.

By way of an example: if I call him into the kitchen, he'll leave my wife's side to come (only if I have food) and will take the shortest route to get to the food - which means that I need to be visible, because if there is a wall between us he will run into the wall repeatedly until I come around the corner and he can see a clear path to me. If our cat rubs against him he will shake violently if he see's her coming, and pee on himself if it takes him by surprise. Yesterday I cleaned up after him when his nerves set him off and he peed three times in the house and threw up twice. Incidentally, we got him at the shelter at eight weeks old and have had him for almost three years.

One of the struggles with him that I've had with him is related to my rapidly deteriorating health. I am disabled and suffer from chronic pain. Often I simply do not have the strength to get up to make myself something to eat - even if it's already cooked. But when he throws up, I must get up before he rolls in it. When he jumps on me, all sixty kilo's of him, it hurts. He's punctured my legs with his claws so many times trying to crawl into me that they are permanently scarred - perhaps a hundred puncture wounds or more are permanent. A consequence of my health condition is that my equilibrium is shot and he knocks me down or bowls me over at least once a day.

I suppose most of that was to try and keep you all from thinking poorly of me for calling the dog brain damaged and saying that I didn't like him. But here's the deal: I absolutely hated this dog. Unfortunately, he means more than I could convey to my wife. As a result, I wanted to like him. I tried. In the past, I've found that changing my behavior is helpful in order to change my mind. There's an expression, "Live your way into a new way of thinking". It is often said by folks who share that bit, "You can't think your way into a new way of living." In other words, what you think doesn't matter - it's what you do that matters. And I tried. "No honey, let me take him out and toss the ball around to him for a while." or offering to take him for a ride in the car or... etc. Nothing worked and after six months of this I gave up. Another six months and my wife, who had internalized her sadness about my relationship with the dog, broke down and cried.

I reached a new level of determination. Then I went to sleep. When I woke up, I no longer hated the dog. I even liked him. His behavior hasn't changed - he still hurts me regularly, he's still neurotic, he's still everything he was - but I'm not. It's been six months now and I still like the dog despite his difficult behavior.

I want to know how I did this. It flies in the face of everything I have experienced thus far in life but it seems valuable beyond measure. Change my mind at night - wake up in the morning and my mind and life is different. What is your interpretation of what happened? Is it reproducible? Thank you.

lobsterRodrigoInvincible_summer

Comments

• Your hatred of the dog is not intrinsic to you, and you abandoned it. Yes, this is a reproducible skill, which can be developed with practice.

That said, your wife is being spectacularly inconsiderate of you, and the fact that you feel no hostility towards the dog shouldn't keep you from finding a way for you to live without harming each other.
  • yagryagr Veteran
    fivebells said:

That said, your wife is being spectacularly inconsiderate of you....

I did not share my wife's journey to arrive at this point but would, based on what I know, respectfully disagree.
  • :bowdown:

If it is reproducible. Patent it. Bottle it. A winner for sure.
    yagrBunksChaz
  • yagr said:

I reached a new level of determination. Then I went to sleep. When I woke up, I no longer hated the dog. I even liked him. His behavior hasn't changed - he still hurts me regularly, he's still neurotic, he's still everything he was - but I'm not. It's been six months now and I still like the dog despite his difficult behavior.

I want to know how I did this. It flies in the face of everything I have experienced thus far in life but it seems valuable beyond measure. Change my mind at night - wake up in the morning and my mind and life is different. What is your interpretation of what happened? Is it reproducible? Thank you.

Many desert flowers bloom at night when all is quiet and calm, after a long dormancy. It sounds like your compassion bloomed the same way. Remember, it's not the dog's fault he is the way he is. He just wants love and attention; he especially needs compassion.

Metta to all three of you.
    yagr
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    your dog sounds like my eldest child if that is any consolation...
    yagr
  • jaejae Veteran
    Good for you for persevering with the poor woofter....bless 'im
  • jaejae Veteran
    @yagr.... maybe try a cat? they seem to have it all sussed out...

person
    Cats, have no emotion as far as I can see @jae
  • yagryagr Veteran
    These last few messages came in as I was playing referee, maid, dad, etc. The cat jumped up on the couch where the dog was. The dog (very unusual for him) growled which got a purr in response. The dog then threw up on the cat. I grabbed some paper towels to clean both the couch and the cat while fighting him to keep him from pawing either the mess on either spot.

Well, I didn't really 'fight' him, but he tried to push his considerable weight through me while I tried to hold him back. I told him to lay down three times, each time saying it a bit more assertive. The third time he started shaking and cowering. When I turned around to try to comfort him he ran into the open woodstove. And I thought my children were all grown up... :)

@anataman - 'sounds like your oldest child' had me laughing out loud.
    No he is just an old dog that talks back! lol
    yagr
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    yagr said:

In the past, I've found that changing my behavior is helpful in order to change my mind. There's an expression, "Live your way into a new way of thinking". It is often said by folks who share that bit, "You can't think your way into a new way of living." In other words, what you think doesn't matter - it's what you do that matters.

I see 'A.A. philosophy' here, where the emphasis is placed heavily on 'action/doing'. And I believe what you say to be true; using our will to will a change doesn't seem to work very well, but taking actions - 'Fake it till you make it' - or 'Bring the body and the mind will follow' is more effective.

I suspect that our brains aren't that smart sometimes; you know like when we force a smile it can influence our emotions (like our brain doesn't know the difference between a real smile and a forced one); I think the brain is a bit like with with forced behavior too. Maybe?

yagrjae
  • yagryagr Veteran
    @Tosh - thanks Tosh. I guess what's left for me is, trying to figure out is was simply sustained effort (i.e. fake it till you make it) or if there was an ingredient in the final effort that led to some 'psychic change', if you will.

I remember speaking with Cheri Huber (Zen Mountain Monastery) once in reference to my becoming a dedicated vegetarian, which I did somewhere in the middle of her essay, 'One Less Act of Violence' (which can be found online and is, in my estimation, excellent). She said then, that it was likely that the essay was simply the impetus for a change which I had been considering for some time. In truth, it had never occurred to me before that moment.

She indicated that there was another way that it could have happened as well, but didn't elaborate. Her time was short and I never got the opportunity to ask her to elaborate, but I'm even more interested in the answer now.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited March 2014
    yagr said:

I guess what's left for me is, trying to figure out is was simply sustained effort (i.e. fake it till you make it) or if there was an ingredient in the final effort that led to some 'psychic change', if you will.

...but I'm even more interested in the answer now.

:) no shortcuts, if that's what you mean by reproducible!
    Many times, I've found that trying to figure out why is akin in some ways to looking back at my footsteps in the sand and wondering who made them.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @anataman....comfortably numb