Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism for Gen-Y

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
BuddhaNet, Buddhist Television Network of Korea (BTN) and The Buddhist Channel have come together to co-produce and promote a brand new AppBook called “Settling Back in the Moment”. Based on an out-of-print title of the same name, the AppBook version gives the book a modern take with up to date animation and graphic designs.

“We all felt that developing a good AppBook was one approach”, he added. He further emphasized that “... the content needs to match the socio-psycho make-up of this generation. Otherwise it will be a futile exercise.”

Understanding the socio-psychology environment of this “Gen Y Buddhists” required some research. Basically the task was to face up to this challenge: "How do you encourage one to develop mindful habits in a fast paced, secular and materialistic situation?"

Gen Y’s are typically tech driven. Many carry smartphones and accessing the internet, using social media and downloading apps are second nature to them. There is a tendency towards a "me first" and a "me too" attitude.

This brings us to the nature of the content which needs to be packaged and organized to fit the mindset and lifestyle of a typical Gen Y. Based on the survey, it was found that Gen Y’ers generally accesses their phones or tablets/phablets while waiting, i.e. travelling, commuting, waiting in line etc....."

-- From the article
http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=6,11785,0,0,1,0#.UxzJI_ldWSo

My teen-ager eats stuff like this up.
How do you/others here switch things up to
teach the next generation of hot heads?
And if anyone gets the AppBook when it comes out...let us know! :)

Comments

• I use my ipad/phone/laptop as a portable shrine.
    All you need is pics to inspire, contemplate and a slideshow program.
    I also find creating a slideshow is a 'meditational Nelson' (Buddhist rhyming slang - Nelson Mandala) Here is one I did using Openshot in Linux for universal healing . . .

Yinyana (my branch of heresy) is very much a technology based Dharma.
    We believe, not obsessively, the next Buddha will be an AI . . .

here is the emerging organised technology dharma:
    http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/

OM MANY CYBER PEME HUM
    as the geek said to the Bodhi Tablet

May all 'sentient programs' find the true algorithm . . . .

anatamansndymorn
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2014

Who or what is "Gen-Y" ?

• zsczsc Explorer

I'm a Millenial and I like Imee Ooi...shrug

No surprise BTN is involved. They are trying to "call back" the youth who are disillusioned from Protestant Christianity, the largest religion there. This is what I have read at least.

• Aspiring_BuddhistAspiring_Buddhist Seeker of the Buddha Within WA Veteran
    edited March 2014

I'd like to say, as a Gen-Y guy, my phone is "The Big Easy" by Tracfone.

I do have a Kindle with many free Buddhist texts on it from their Kindle Store. Otherwise my main book is "Buddhism for Dummies." Not kidding. Very insightful.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

And Newbuddhist is Muddhism for Bummies LOL

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

I have a basic cell phone. No internet on it. So if I'm in lines...or on break...or waiting for the kids to come out, I have pocket sizes of some of my fav Buddha books. :)
    @riverflow got me started on them ... in my purse, about 2-3 choices hahaha

Go, go gadget reader ! lololol

• Strangely enough not since 'echo the dolphin', have I come across a game that relaxes rather than stimulates:

Personal Zen game for Gen-Y, adults, children and lobsters:
    http://www.personalzen.com/

:)

• Aspiring_BuddhistAspiring_Buddhist Seeker of the Buddha Within WA Veteran

@lobster said:
    Strangely enough not since 'echo the dolphin', have I come across a game that relaxes rather than stimulates:

Personal Zen game for Gen-Y, adults, children and lobsters:
    http://www.personalzen.com/

:)

You should check out Journey on the PS3! Very relaxing.