Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Motivation

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran

What can motivate us to practice?

Comments

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Dukkha.....Plain and simple.

shanyin
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Initially my motivation was the sense of peace and calm I got from meditation. It is what established a habitual practice for me (in regards to sitting and studying). I find great joy in practicing but it is a different type of joy from the "Oh I'm so happy" kind of joy we find in pleasurable things. It's more a joy in knowing I am taking care of things. Kind of like brushing my teeth. The joy is a motivation but at the same time it isn't really what keeps me coming back. The only thing that keeps me coming back is the results. The people I know who have practiced for many years, or even most of their lifetimes, exude it. As I read, a Dharmic person is obvious. You can tell when someone has trained themselves. I find that to be true, and that also motivates me. Not to be just like them, but to know it is possible.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2014

Just do it every day for a month. It soon is a habit.

I liked reading Adyashanti youtube because it inspired me since Adya meditated in his past so much.

Another reason is that I believe in what Buddha teaches. My heart is in faith.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

The weariness of its alternative.

lobsterHamsakashanyin
  • Results.
    Subtle.
    Need time.
    Prostrations, metta bhavna or chanting if meditation too hard . . .

• Aspiring_BuddhistAspiring_Buddhist Seeker of the Buddha Within WA Veteran

I'm just starting out in meditation - the biggest problem I've had is trying to keep my mind from wondering. Sometimes I count my breath, other times I I think about why I feel a certain way about a subject.

I've had best results with meditating a few minutes at a time, stopping, and then resuming once I've got my mind "back on task." That goal is to extend it to a full period of course, but easing in with baby steps is an excellent starting point. (At least for me, but I hope it helps everyone else too!)

lobsterJeffrey
  • I've had is trying to keep my mind from wondering.

You have a mind? [lobster faints] Wish I could find 'one'.
    Gentle refocus. Turning back to practice. Again and again. Kindly. Patiently. Way to go . . . :)

• That sounds exactly like some of my meditations after 13 years of practice.

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran

@‌Jeffrey

Have you practiced everyday for 13 years?

• No, shanyin.. You mean meditate? I think I had refuge for the last 13 years though. But for awhile it was hard to break the skin to meditate. It had like a skin of dread to cut through.

I have meditated every day for at least 30 minutes for the past two years. And I have been steadily going through a long distance (with lama) course since 2006. I finished the course and am studying Trungpa and Pema Chodron's teachings on lojong (tonglen) right now. When I finish I will take my Lama's second course.

@shanyin don't feel discouraged if you aren't practicing for some period. There is a space. Always a space to practice. One day the penny will drop (with faith) and a person has less impediments to practice. IMHO YMMV TLDR

lobsteranataman