Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Great Swindle

This is about the Global Warming swindle and to be honest, if you watch this in it's entirety and still think that we as a species are causing or even speeding up the process of global warming, then you either are willfully ignorant, too stupid to grasp the information or are somewhat delusional.

It is full of highly acclaimed scientists, professors and all that jazz, statistics, graphs and it gets down to the point in a very methodical manner.

Example of one section of the video.
carbon dioxide makes up 0.065% of the gas in our atmosphere, and of that % humans create around 15% of it as it is. furthermore, carbon dioxide is not a pollutant, it helps plant life grow!

Anyway here is the video, if you have the time I recommend it.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

You won't say that if you continue to live where you do.

• Care to elaborate? lol you lost me there

• I didn't watch your video but I'd like to say I don't agree.

• I admit that chemicals and things of that nature are not great for the environment, but I do not believe that we are the cause of global warming right now.

For one you have not even seen the video, which doesn't give yu much of a say in this discussion to be honest. If you would see parts especially towards the end, you will realize that the developed world holds back the undeveloped world from using fossil fuels and they for the most part use wind and solar. These are unreliable as shown in the video and people die because of it.

• @ThailandTom said:
    I admit that chemicals and things of that nature are not great for the environment, but I do not believe that we are the cause of global warming right now.

For one you have not even seen the video, which doesn't give yu much of a say in this discussion to be honest. If you would see parts especially towards the end, you will realize that the developed world holds back the undeveloped world from using fossil fuels and they for the most part use wind and solar. These are unreliable as shown in the video and people die because of it.

Good luck Tom.

• Good luck Tom!

• @mfranzdorf said:
    Good luck Tom!

:lol:

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Well, we are all free to our opinions and to base those opinions on whatever sources we find credible. Personally, I find the recent review of 13 years of studies and research in which many hundreds of different scientists and agencies agree with 97% certainty that humans are causing, or adding to, global warming.

The planet, of course, goes through climate changes no matter what. That said, does it matter at this point why the climate is changing? Is it worth driving another division-causing stake between people to make comments like "if you believe this, you are stupid"?

I think at this point, even if we could do much about it, our population is too large and people on an individual basis too unwilling to see what impact they make, and too unwilling or unable to make drastic changes to their lifestyle to make an impact that might matter. Those that already use too many resources are unwilling to give up anything, and those who aren't yet there, are striving to be like those people.

In any case, why does it matter to anyone whether someone completely believes or disbelieves in how involved people might be in climate change? It is one thing to offer what you believe to be credible information as a means for people to learn other points of view. It is another to call people who think different than you stupid, and quite honestly, I have no interest in learning information from someone who takes that point of view.

I should add that all forms of energy production, and food production, cause death in some way. If you think fossil fuel mining and production don't cause death, and much more of it than wind and solar, that's just not true. My father in law just retired from a gas plant that used coal. Can't even tell you how many of the people working there and in the Bakken oil patch develop serious illnesses and die in accidents. My 27 year old cousin died there. That's just one area in one very rural part of the country. Between the disease that comes about from working in those conditions, and the accidents, fossil fuel development and mining causes plenty of death and disease, and hardship for a lot of people, while as usual, a small number of people get rich off of it. Not to mention the death that occurs due to the pollution and dumping into waters supplies.

• NeleNele Veteran

@ThailandTom, have you read up on the "other" side, i.e. those climate scientists who do believe that we are affecting the chemistry of the planet? If not, your view may be seriously flawed.

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."

person
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited March 2014

About 10 years ago this topic unfortunately became mixed into politics and was lost to true actual science.

Its a shame that today you believe one way if you are a Democrat, another way if you are a Republican, and now the scientific studies are questionable because of how research works today, by grants and money. Science should always be neutral and factual, but that is an ideal.

Like most things i think there is a middle way. We are technically in the middle of an ice age and the world's weather is ever changing. I dont think there is a doubt that we have an impact on the planet, however i also not so sure we are doomed to die because of it.

There is no doubt humanities days are numbered. There have been 5 times at least in the earths history where nearly all life was eradicated, and climate change is not going to be a part of that, at least not for thousands of years.

There is a real hypocrisy with regards to us in the west, we have created such comfortable lives for ourselves that we have time to worry about stuff like the environment, and we now look at developing countries and judge them for how they use the environment.

Trying to use government force to coerce people into "living better for the environment" is not that way to go. Personally i feel the path needed is a desire to put money into research. NONE of the current renewable power sources work on large scales yet. I believe eventually they can, but we need many years of heavy R & D to get to that point.

karastiZeroThailandTomThePensum
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited March 2014

I'm not going to watch the video because I'm pretty sure its a propaganda piece.

Just to address the one point you posted though.

CO2 makes up 390 ppm (0.039%)* of the atmosphere, how can such a small amount be important? Saying that CO2 is "only a trace gas" is like saying that arsenic is "only" a trace water contaminant. Small amounts of very active substances can cause large effects.

Some Examples of Important Small Amounts:
    •He wasn't driving drunk, he just had a trace of blood alcohol; 800 ppm (0.08%) is the limit in all 50 US states, and limits are lower in most other countries).
    •Don't worry about your iron deficiency, iron is only 4.4 ppm of your body's atoms (Sterner and Eiser, 2002).
    •Ireland isn't important; it's only 660 ppm (0.066%) of the world population.
    •That ibuprofen pill can't do you any good; it's only 3 ppm of your body weight (200 mg in 60 kg person).
    •The Earth is insignificant, it's only 3 ppm of the mass of the solar system.
    •Your children can drink that water, it only contains a trace of arsenic (0.01 ppm is the WHO and US EPA limit).
    •Ozone is only a trace gas: 0.1 ppm is the exposure limit established by the US National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends an ozone limit of 0.051 ppm.
    •A few parts per million of ink can turn a bucket of water blue. The color is caused by the absorption of the yellow/red colors from sunlight, leaving the blue. Twice as much ink causes a much stronger color, even though the total amount is still only a trace relative to water.
    http://www.skepticalscience.com/CO2-trace-gas.htm

If the atmosphere didn't trap heat via greenhouse gases the temperature of the Earth would be -18 C or 0 F. So that small percentage of CO2 has a pretty big impact.

Saying that CO2 isn't a pollutant and it supports plant life doesn't say anything meaningful about its effect on climate change.

Anything in the wrong amount or in a state of non-balance, becomes a pollutant, a toxin. That is the problem with the greenhouse gases right now. Not that they are inherently bad or unnecessary, but the wrong exact balance of them throws off everything else, which then affects everything else, in domino effect. Too much water, too much oxygen, are both toxic to humans. Too much CO2 is toxic to the planet as well. It is like the Ph of the human body. It is maintained in a very tight state, and when it goes one direction or another very minutely, disease occurs, and then death. Our planet isn't really any different.

edited March 2014

You're living in Hua Hin, just a tiny bit above sea level. The Gulf Of Thailand is encroaching in several areas along the coast, and there has been an influx of salt water into traditional underground water supplies for Bangkok. The results are already beginning to have an impact on life in Thailand.

But then again, Thailand is falling into the toilet anyway...maybe the sea will cleanse it.

• howsndymornpommesetoranges
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

@lobster said:

Thats of course assuming government force creates a better world..

• robotrobot Veteran

@vinlyn said:
    But then again, Thailand is falling into the toilet anyway...maybe the sea will cleanse it.

I'm sorry to see you feeling this way. I agree that that there are some places that should be flushed, like Pattaya and Patong, and that there are political problems creating strife in some areas. There are so many areas in the country that are unaffected by the sex trade and political strife. Beautiful roads and tidy, productive farms and towns. And even some tourist areas that are still unspoiled by overdevelopment. I'm hoping that it won't become a place that is not safe or pleasant to visit.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I dug up a few web pages detailing counterpoints to the film. Maybe take a look before using such strong language as you did Tom.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle

https://web.duke.edu/nicholas/bio217/tls14/general.html

And a short youtube film

Now days its hard to tell the truth of anything on its face due to slick production values. Yesterday I started watching a political piece on Netflix called Ethos, it was narrated by Woody Harrelson. I generally fall to the left on the political spectrum but as the film got going they would take an historical event and then place a particular spin on it. Maybe what they were saying was the truth of the situation but I don't have a strong enough factual background in the things they were referring to to know whether what they were claiming was true or not. I could tell that it had an agenda and so I didn't feel I could come out of watching it knowing what was true, what was speculation or what was spin or outright lies, so I stopped watching it. I'll keep in mind the main point they were trying to make but get my information from more reliable sources.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    edited March 2014

Quibbling over who or what is causing global warming is, at this point, a complete waste of time.

What should be asking, in the face the certainty that GW is really happening, what are we going to do about it? What can we do about it?

I'd add to that, should we do anything about it. It seems rather grandiose of us to think we can, or should, possibly completely alter the planet just to save ourselves from death. Obviously, our being here has completely altered the planet already, in ways that never would have happened naturally. So perhaps extinction is also another part of the planet's normal cycles. If we look at this issue, or any others, from the eyes of fear over our own demise, the results are unlikely to be very good anyhow. Operating from fear never has good results in that way.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@karasti said:
    I'd add to that, should we do anything about it. It seems rather grandiose of us to think we can, or should, possibly completely alter the planet just to save ourselves from death. Obviously, our being here has completely altered the planet already, in ways that never would have happened naturally. So perhaps extinction is also another part of the planet's normal cycles. If we look at this issue, or any others, from the eyes of fear over our own demise, the results are unlikely to be very good anyhow. Operating from fear never has good results in that way.

Well said.

My concern is how we'll deal with the inevitable changes that will come with climate change. As the planet warms, icecaps will melt and sea levels will rise. This will cause flooding of land that is currently home to a significant number of people. This is also viable cropland. We will have 10s of millions of displaced people and a compromised ability to feed everyone. How are we going to handle that?

• @vinlyn said:
    You're living in Hua Hin, just a tiny bit above sea level. The Gulf Of Thailand is encroaching in several areas along the coast, and there has been an influx of salt water into traditional underground water supplies for Bangkok. The results are already beginning to have an impact on life in Thailand.

Dude I live on planet Earth, if sea levels rise, ok I move somewhere else.. I also do not own any property and do not wish to, so that does not come into play at all. There is also a huge mountain in Hua Hin with a monastery on it, could go there but probably won't. Why do you think everything is so static? I am not going to be here for the remainder of my life, I am a drifter of this planet.

• @Jayantha yes that is what the video explains in great detail, how it has become a political matter, it shows you how it all happened form the very beginning with Maggy Thatcher. It is a shame that pretty much nobody has even given it them time of day, that is like giving a review on a book without even reading it

As for you suggesting that whoever you vote for will depend on this decision, not for everybody, again speaking in generalizations. I am not on one side or the other politically, they are all as bad as one another, and i should have known before I posted this here that it is full of lefties.

@ThailandTom said:
    Dude I live on planet Earth, if sea levels rise, ok I move somewhere else.. I also do not own any property and do not wish to, so that does not come into play at all. There is also a huge mountain in Hua Hin with a monastery on it, could go there but probably won't. Why do you think everything is so static? I am not going to be here for the remainder of my life, I am a drifter of this planet.

Okay, Dude.

ThailandTom

Well, with that photo I must change to, "Okay, dudette."

ThailandTom

To be honest, Tom, I have a limited amount of time each day with which to read, interact online, watch other videos, and so on. I've spent time watching other videos you've posted that are rather conspiracy-theory types, and for me, they were proven to not be worth my time. I spend a lot of time reading actual studies and information about these topics, so watching random youtube videos that are an hour+ long just isn't worth my time. It doesn't mean I completely dismiss all ideas on the other side. I don't. I just don't have time to watch your video. Or rather I am not willing to give up an hour of the time I do have, to watch that video.

person
  • Tom, you're making the mistake of only hearing one side of a debate and making up your mind. Spend as much time on a good video or program that discusses how and why global warming is happening before getting excited. Creationists have some good videos out there on youtube also explaining how evolution is a conspiracy against religion, but that doesn't make them true.

• NeleNele Veteran

I didn't watch the OP's posted video either, but the Wikipedia page on it, to my mind, offers a balanced view and plenty of pointers to follow if one wishes to know more. OP, thanks for reminding us that we dismiss climate change deniers, at our own peril. I appreciate the chance to know the enemy :-)