Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I am leaving this forum

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited December 2006 in Sanghas
I see that a lot of people here are nothing but a bunch of crybabies who wander around pretending to be at peace and pretending to be enlightened. I myself am not enlighted and I don't care to be. I used to come onto this forum and I loved the people here. I see that some of those people are gone. I wonder why. It might be because they are sick of reading all the crap that people post here. I will no longer be posting on this forum.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2006
    Jason,

I'm sick of reading all the crap here too, except that I write half of the crap that I'm sick of reading—go figure. I'm sorry to see you go. I loved you in Pocky III. Seriously, though, I'm sorry to see you go. If you ever change your mind, we'll still be here.

Jason
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I don't understand comments like this, Comic, but I wish you the best - as always.

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I shall miss you, Comic, both here and, I suppose, on IM.

What is it, I wonder, that has so upset him? How far has this cyber community changed over the months? Perhaps it has altered so slowly and subtly that we, involved in it, do not notice. Are we frogs being slowly heated to boiling point?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    ....ribbid.....
    edited November 2006
    Simon,

I had actually thought the same thing.

I know that my interaction, as of late, has been less than in the past. I also don't spend huge amounts of time pondering and repondering some of the same old questions that have been the "same old questions" for centuries.

But, I wonder if the content, or members voicing their lack of anger or upset at how things are have somewhat watered down this forum.

And is it something that we really need to worry about?

On the flip side - it could be that Comic is going through some changes or issues of his own that requires us to be a sounding board for him - not that I'm profiling or diagnosing him. Just a thought.

-bf
  • edited November 2006
    i don't wanna be part of any club who would have me as a member lol

totally understand, when i first started getting into buddhism.. i kinda went through a relapse in my christian faith.. i went to a christian forum and talked bout it.. and they just shunned me and said i wasn't a real christian.. on hind sight.. this was not really my fault.. and it was wrong place to go..

ppl are hypocrites by nature.. and i even noticed a minister coming into the place to tell them they were ridiculous ppl... and preaching hate.

personally i agree with comic to an extent.. i don't think forums are great places to talk about much.. ppl misunderstand a lot and start arguements.. happens to me all the time.. if im talking about one specific area.. someone will counter my point by talking about something else irrelevant to what i say.

often all forums only makes things worse and inflames ppl even more..
  • edited November 2006
    ah, celebrin, the misanthrope. Actually, i still wonder if the pessimism (i think to perceive) of many modern buddhist is a delusion, or if gotama was indeed a diogenes with some manners.
  • edited November 2006
    like i know what all that means.. or want to bother looking it up.. all i saying is that forums can lead to misunderstanding and more anger.. and in many cases they don't bear fruit..

i get a bit fed up tbh of ppl quoting scriptures at me instead of actually sharing their opinion

and if u think im pessimistic.. i think u have little xp in the world.. I'm practically a modern day saint in comparison with the pointless ranting i hear at work
  • edited November 2006
    Celebrin, i did not want to attack you. Whence is that people are so uptight?

the misanthrope and pessimism refered to you sentence that people are hypocrates, which you later deleted. And I consider misanthrope and pessimism not to be a stigma for bad people either. I sometimes am not sure of what to think of mankind myself. There you have my opinion i share with you. Easy.
  • edited November 2006
    i didnt delete it.. but thanks for commenting nyway lol.. I just aint super fun happy today..

my tutor basically told me i have an attitude problem.. i didn't wake up great.. and so on, so on, he also made comments on my coursework which are really stupid.. like the design ain't up to scratch.. and its like the first cwk i handed in.. except it really isn't.. its very neat and there are run-arounds round every picture, the logos,names,page numbers are exactly same on each page..

pretty crap day.. considering he praised my friends work.. which is terribley messy, and badly designed. (my friend asks me for help).. he looked at me work and agreed with me lol

is kinda like favouring the guy who founded the mormons over jesus.. in a holy war

i wish i was in medieval japan.. or napolianic england so i could call him out.. i could get rid of a lorra ppl that way
  • edited November 2006
    ah, but you inserted sth afterwards, I was confused. Whatever, I am no guru to advise you what to do. If I knew it all, i would hawk the life faq for only 5 million bucks! I could make a special prize for you. ;) Maybe just this: Yes indeed,people sometimes suck, many sensitive people suffer by the sheer idiocy and ignorance of others. I have seen many "selfless"and good hearted peoplebeing exploited.The lesson I learned in life until now ist that I exactly observe and decide for myself who I give what or not.
  • edited November 2006
    do you think your tutor has a bias towards you or is he just an old grumpy man in divorce? ;)how did he argue that you have an attitude prolem?
    edited November 2006
    Simon, bf, all,

I think that we have all kinds of members who have something to offer when the circumstances permit. I, for example, do my part to give answers about Buddhism from the perspective of the Pali Canon. Palzang, on the other hand, does his part to answer questions from the perspective of the Vajrayana tradition. Simon, with his vast knowledge, offers insights through a complex lens of Buddhism, Christianity, philosophy, et cetera. Buddhafoot, in his own unique way, brings humor to the conversation that brightens up the mood when it becomes too dour.

Things change as is their nature, but what I think matters the most is how we relate to those changes. There will be times when we do not react in the most skillful of ways, but we will learn valuable lessons from those times if we pay close enough attention. I make mistakes, and I need time to learn from those mistakes; change does not always happen overnight. I think that the same goes for every human being on the planet. Sometimes we simply need to evaluate our situation and determine if there is a more skillful way in which to respond to those changes.

GOD EMPEROR,

Leto II
    edited November 2006
    fofoo wrote:
    ah, but you inserted sth afterwards, I was confused. Whatever, I am no guru to advise you what to do. If I knew it all, i would hawk the life faq for only 5 million bucks! I could make a special prize for you. ;) Maybe just this: Yes indeed,people sometimes suck, many sensitive people suffer by the sheer idiocy and ignorance of others. I have seen many "selfless"and good hearted peoplebeing exploited.The lesson I learned in life until now ist that I exactly observe and decide for myself who I give what or not.

I wish I loved the Human Race;
    I wish I loved its silly face;
    I wish I liked the way it walks;
    I wish I liked the way it talks; And when I'm introduced to one
    I wish I thought
    What Jolly Fun!

(Sir Walter Raleigh 1861-1922)
    edited November 2006
    Celebrin wrote:
    like i know what all that means.. or want to bother looking it up.. all i saying is that forums can lead to misunderstanding and more anger.. and in many cases they don't bear fruit..

i get a bit fed up tbh of ppl quoting scriptures at me instead of actually sharing their opinion

and if u think im pessimistic.. i think u have little xp in the world.. I'm practically a modern day saint in comparison with the pointless ranting i hear at work

You know...

Always trying to figre out wht u r syng by usng s fw as lttrs s pssble s a pn n th a 2.

-bf
  • edited November 2006
    LOL!
  • edited November 2006
    i am not around much anymore either .. for various reasons..
    maybe one day that will change
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    Simon, bf, all,

I think that we have all kinds of members who have something to offer when the circumstances permit. I, for example, do my part to give answers about Buddhism from the perspective of the Pali Canon. Palzang, on the other hand, does his part to answer questions from the perspective of the Vajrayana tradition. Simon, with his vast knowledge, offers insights through a complex lens of Buddhism, Christianity, philosophy, et cetera. Buddhafoot, in his own unique way, brings humor to the conversation that brightens up the mood when it becomes too dour.

Things change as is their nature, but what I think matters the most is how we relate to those changes. There will be times when we do not react in the most skillful of ways, but we will learn valuable lessons from those times if we pay close enough attention. I make mistakes, and I need time to learn from those mistakes; change does not always happen overnight. I think that the same goes for every human being on the planet. Sometimes we simply need to evaluate our situation and determine if there is a more skillful way in which to respond to those changes.

GOD EMPEROR,

Leto II

Dear Brigid, Colleen, AjaniMo and Federica we obviously have nothing to offer! Bloody BF gets a mention yet again-and he's hardly here! :nonono:

cheers!:zombie:
  • edited November 2006
    xray you for one was one who was here for me in the begining.. i thankyou and have now recognized that..
    i came in with a bang, and got a slap or two..but with some private messages of ppl agreeing with me helped me stay.
    i will not judge or be angry .. i have other reasons for not being here at all anymore. i do drop by and read..and i thank those silently now for being there.
    im not a nun or educated enough to come back with big answers..only my opinion.
    and for now i feel like laying low..
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2006
    no worries.
  • edited November 2006
    I see that a lot of people here are nothing but a bunch of crybabies who wander around pretending to be at peace and pretending to be enlightened. I myself am not enlighted and I don't care to be. I used to come onto this forum and I loved the people here. I see that some of those people are gone. I wonder why. It might be because they are sick of reading all the crap that people post here. I will no longer be posting on this forum.

I really hope you don't go, but it you are truly going then all the best wishes for you and yours. I've definitely enjoyed reading your posts, even when I didn't comment, and I believe that a forum like this needs people of many different perspectives - especially nonpretentious people like yourself. Please drop by occasionally.

:bawling:
    edited November 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Dear Brigid, Colleen, AjaniMo and Federica we obviously have nothing to offer! Bloody BF gets a mention yet again-and he's hardly here! :nonono:

cheers!:zombie:

You're right, X-ray. I'm a bastard.

But... do you know how much Elohim charges Simon and I a month just to get mentioned? It's not pretty.

I'm sure it was an oversight... probably just the most obnoxious members came to his mind when starting his post.

I'll make it up to you.

-bf
    edited November 2006
    Xrayman,

You are quite right. I sincerely apologize for my oversight. In the future, I will only charge you half the amount of melange I charge Simon and buddhafoot to make it up to you.

Regards,

CHOAM
    edited November 2006
    Excellent recovery, Elohim.

You got a chuckle out of me.

-Duncan (#237)
    edited November 2006
    And I shall withhold the gom jabbar.

Mother Helen Gaius Mohiam
  • edited November 2006
    usin, phrases such as u, atm , brb, gtg.. and cud instead of could are pretty standard and easy to understand..

i come across all sorts of really bad shortened phrases from younger kids so seriously ma language ain't so bad.. all u have to do is say it outloud.

unlike Hez hUn whas lxkz ov der, i lxks kittas sa CUTXXX .. and other weird stuff ppl come out wit
    edited November 2006
    True - but English on this forum is pretty standard too.

Sometimes I just have a hard time figuring out l337 5p34k.

That's all.

-bf
    edited November 2006
    And I shall withhold the gom jabbar.

Mother Helen Gaius Mohiam

Witch!

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    You're right, X-ray. I'm a bastard.

But... do you know how much Elohim charges Simon and I a month just to get mentioned? It's not pretty.

I'm sure it was an oversight... probably just the most obnoxious members came to his mind when starting his post.

I'll make it up to you.

-bf

Recently I've noticed greater meaning in the Smilies....

:rant: <<BF getting obnoxious
    :eek2: << Xray getting confused
    :tonguec: <<Simon
    :crazy: << Brigid after too many painkillers
    :tongue2: <<federica
    :downhand: <<opinions about western buddhism by some members
    :lol: <<?
    :rockon: <<celebrin
    :thumbsup: << Brian
    :nonono: <<Xing Ping
    :usflag: <<Aidiana
    :bowdown: Elohim, Palzang and Padawan
    :wow: members of NB after seeing results of Yogamamas Breast Enhancement
    :mullet: buddafoots' latest "look" for his up and coming world tour

cheers
    Xray:whatever:
    edited November 2006
    Hey man...

I wrote you a damn poem because of this!

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2006
    just joking. where is it?
    edited November 2006
    In the lotus lounge.

-bf
  • edited November 2006
    jumping-smiley-014.gif
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Comic, I'm sad to see you go, as I am anyone in this cyberSangha. It is true that there has been much negativity here of late, as we have all found our views, perceptions and ideas challenged or found wanting by certain other members. The thing to do in such situations, I find, is to not permit such negativity to drive one away, but merely to take a spot of time out, reflect, and return when all has calmed down.

This phenomenon is not unique to New Buddhist; I am also a member of a forum dedicated to my favourite band, and on there at present, the level of arguments, bickering, fighting and victimization going on would try the patience of a Bodhisattva, believe me! Long-term members there have left, and appeals for calm have been met with outright hostility. I think it has a little bit to do with the winter months drawing in, when people reflect over the past year, and tend to spend more time online than they usually do because they can't get out of an evening as they did earlier in the year. This leads to frustration, which leads to arguments. I think some reflection and relaxation is called for, so that we can start afresh in 2007.

It's Bodhi day tomorrow, friends. Peace to you all. :om:
  • edited December 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    :wow: members of NB after seeing results of Yogamamas Breast Enhancement

cheers
    Xray:whatever:

I got a breast enhancement???!!! If so, that was a rip off!

Hey, wait a minute....are you trying to tell me that I NEED a breast enhancement?? :wtf:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited December 2006
    no Yoga.
  • edited December 2006
    Good thing, or I would have to have Buddhfoot give you one of his spankings. Where is he, by the way? I am tired of him leaving us aorund here.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Personally I've been considering getting a brain enhancement...

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    awww....I think your brain is PERFECT just the way it is!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Well, it hasn't been functioning all that well lately. Yesterday I sent two files I had been working on to two different clients, and sent them both the wrong files! And not only once, but a couple of times. Those darned senior moments are getting too common!

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    Well, Pally, I love you and all of your senior moments! My mom has a lot of those as well.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    What? Oh, right!

Palzzzzzzzzzzzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2006
    LOL!

My sister was working at our family's flower shop one day and took an order for a new baby and an order for a funeral...
  • edited December 2006
    I am leaving this site, too. I enjoyed some debates and they helped me to improve my understanding of some things. After all, I realized it is not the place for me nevertheless.

Take care everyone.
    edited December 2006
    fofoo wrote:
    I am leaving this site, too. I enjoyed some debates and they helped me to improve my understanding of some things. After all, I realized it is not the place for me nevertheless.

Take care everyone.

See ya, dude.

And I was just starting to hook up witcha...

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    maybe we will see again here :) I always liked your avatar and the way you managed my first appearence here. Now, sentimental feelings do not pay, take care BF :)
    edited December 2006
    I'm not clinging, but the Buddha never said anything about "keeping one's fingers crossed". :)

You take care as well, my friend.

-bf
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I think I might join you.

I've been getting a lot of unnecessary flack about a really emotional topic for a few days, and I really don't that type of BS along with real life. I'm being accused of being too sensitive and other crap like that, but I came to this forum with uncertainties about myself, and I thought older, more mature Buddhists could help me - I'm not a member of a temple, and a lot of the time, when I post here, I just want unbiased answers from experienced people. I understand that Buddhism is a REAL religion, in that we shouldn't try to make things fluffy and unoffensive, but I'm seriously upset about the particular thread in question.

And yes, it's bad to make my basis for completely leaving a forum on one thread, but I really don't have time for online stuff any more, anyway. I've got to stay connected to the real world.

I really do appreciate everyone here. I have learned a lot in the past year, and I'll miss all the personality of this forum.

If you want to talk to me - buddhagirldfa@yahoo.com

Otherwise, I'm outtie -
    S. C.
  • edited December 2006
    Sabine wrote:
    I think I might join you.

I've been getting a lot of unnecessary flack about a really emotional topic for a few days, and I really don't that type of BS along with real life. I'm being accused of being too sensitive and other crap like that, but I came to this forum with uncertainties about myself, and I thought older, more mature Buddhists could help me - I'm not a member of a temple, and a lot of the time, when I post here, I just want unbiased answers from experienced people. I understand that Buddhism is a REAL religion, in that we shouldn't try to make things fluffy and unoffensive, but I'm seriously upset about the particular thread in question.

And yes, it's bad to make my basis for completely leaving a forum on one thread, but I really don't have time for online stuff any more, anyway. I've got to stay connected to the real world.

I really do appreciate everyone here. I have learned a lot in the past year, and I'll miss all the personality of this forum.

If you want to talk to me - buddhagirldfa@yahoo.com

Otherwise, I'm outtie -
    S. C.

Sabine,

we all were born as slaves, and this is not sarcasm. The 3 poisons are a real plague for all of us. I am not into the details I just skimmed thru the threads that seem to be pertinent, but asking if a venture is worthwile, wether military or not, ist not only your or your bfs right, but your duty! Frankly, buy your bf loretta napoleioni s book "insurgent iraq - al zaqrkawi and the new generation" if you want to do him sth good. Only becaue we all are part of the machine, it does not mean it must roll over us. If he still wants to go, well, you have done your best and I am still not in agreement with his decision, but I guess we all cannot change it anymore then.

Regards
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2006
    Sabine wrote:
    I've been getting a lot of unnecessary flack about a really emotional topic for a few days, and I really don't that type of BS along with real life. I'm being accused of being too sensitive and other crap like that, but I came to this forum with uncertainties about myself, and I thought older, more mature Buddhists could help me
    I do agree that some could do with a good deal more discretion when addressing personal issues rather than public ones.

At the same time... did the less thoughtful replies really hurt you? They are but bits of text and code dropped into our database by people behind a computer somewhere out there in the world.

I find on forums that the kind and helpful words I receive are every bit as real and meaningful as those I receive in person because someone took their time to think and aid me.

Unkind words, however, roll off my back because there is no human contact inhibiting their words. There is no way for them to see the stricken look that crosses your face from hurtful comments; the feedback loop is broken, so they are free to go on at will. They do not know you well, if at all.

Receiving hurtful comments in this way makes them irrelevant to me, and being one of the people who give and receive positive comments and help is very rewarding. :)
This discussion has been closed.