Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is one-pointedness essential to go into deeper states of meditation?

For example, sometimes I don't focus on the breath in any particular location, I instead focus on the entire tract of the breath. At other times, I change my focus around, starting with my nose, moving to my stomach, then to my chest then back again.

Could this in any way impede me from going into deeper states of meditation?

Comments

• Not necessarily.

But it can.

It just depends on the momentum.

But generally people need to just focus on one thing and become quite familiar with that one thing. And constantly losing and bringing the mind back to that same object is important for building momentum.

Some people can take a wider approach and apply that same momentum of attention on different objects.

But this also can be a way to distract oneself out of boredom or a distaste for discipline.

The metaphor I like to employ is this. I really enjoy doing dishes. I love cleaning and getting dirty things clean. My attention is clear, focused and very one pointed.

Now the question is can I apply the same momentum of attention to say shopping for clothes. And that's quite difficult for me.

But in theory the variables become easier to switch from with time and practice.

Kind of like taking meditation to our everyday lives. That sense of mindfulness. It sometimes takes quite a bit of practice to integrate. At times it takes no practice at all.

Hope this kind of helps.

And yes you need one-pointedness to go deeper in any form of meditation. If deep is what you desire.

Cittaseeker242lobsterpommesetoranges
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited April 2014

Just being aware of the breath generally, with no specific narrow spot of awareness, can be a really good method. It can stop you from getting too tense and rigid. Over time, months and years, the awareness of breath usually naturally sharpens on one aspect, although this will change too.
    As you get more still, and closer to jhana, it naturally sharpens by itself, no need to push anything.
    I'd advise not deliberately moving your awareness around however, unless that's your vipassana technique or something.

That's my 2c anyway.Best of luck!

Citta
  • @buddhistok said:

At other times, I change my focus around, starting with my nose, moving to my stomach, then to my chest then back again.

Sounds good to me.

Let me give an analogy from another system. Yoga. One of the key principles, that even some experienced teachers forget is relaxation.
    We can get fit, calmer, more emotionally stabile etc from yoga. Our breath may become calmer when made consciously aware of its movement. If we stop practicing yoga, we tense up, become the same old unfit self etc. In other words we are practice dependent.

However we may eventually understand and apply the 'let go' principle and find yoga is an attitude, a yoking to an attitude.

In a similar way, we are not learning to meditate. We are learning to stop thinking of meditation as technique.

We know how to sit comfortably. We know how to breath. We know how to pay attention. Gently. Easy. Be kind to yourself . . .

You should see my cushion sitting there, no effort involved . . . it really does have Buddha Nature.

• I believe it is. Because having more than one thought is burdensome. How can you reach a deeper level if your mind is busy going from thought to thought. With one-pointedness, you're noticing your thoughts and bringing it back when necessary. Your mind won't stray too far, and will have energy leftover to go deeper.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I agree, I never get anywhere in meditation unless I practice with one-pointed attention. If my mind is bouncing from one object to another it's not becoming still, its just bouncing around.

Choose something that you are comfortable with and get used to it. I have a silver ball that I sometimes put a couple of metres in front of me. I ding my bowl and as the sound dies away, I bring my attention to the surface of the ball and the room spherically reflected in it.

But whatever you choose stick with it for the duration of the meditation, or your mind won't settle.

Then try and bring that same attention to your everyday life, as suggested above , little by little it gets easier to be aware of the little things you miss because your chasing your thoughts. Like the firm sensation of the contact of the fingertips with the keyboard as you type - lol.