Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Magic Monkey

edited November 2006 in Arts & Writings
my favourite tv series of all time.. coming from 70's japan

aaaah i love the panto type music and clothes.. script.. its hilarious and v entertaining.. i find the horrible and cheap scenery and effects to be quite charming..

theres a plasticine monkey on a fluffy bit of cotton wool .. attached to a wire frame spinning.. and then the actor is transparently imposed over the film..

great.. although the whole buddhist aspects are a bit dubious.. but u know.. who cares its just great..

its soo bad its good

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I love it too, Celebrin. I used to watch it with my children, although my then wife complained: we got quite noisy!

Did you know that is available on DVD and can be bought thru' eBay? I so tempted to buy it for my second son for Christmas.

Thank you for reminding me about it.

BTW, I also have the novel, Hsi-yu-chi (Journey to the West).
  • edited November 2006
    yes i have the whole series, and the missing 13 episodes (which are dubbed versions of the bonus ones)

hmm novel soudns interesting might take a look at it..

it always cheers me to watch it.. unlike the prisoner which depresses me
    edited November 2006
    I have recently started acquiring sets of series I have enjoyed. Babylon 5 and West Wing so far. Am tempted by SSTNG and, now, Monkey. My son urges me to get Lost (at least I think that's what he means).
  • edited November 2006
    :P yea i just bought 24 series 5.. although ive seen some of it before its still good. Lost is decent.. i really enjoy it..

I need some new anime really.. but too much is aimed at kids or just ppl on drugs lol ..
    edited November 2006
    Perhaps I should get into anime. When I was living i Paris, I was a big fan of bandes dessinees.
  • edited November 2006
    i can reccomended berserk,gungrave (ignore 1st episode pls), ninja scroll -1995 movie(not series which aint bad but u know),

vampire hunter d:bloodlust - avoid it if its just vampire hunter d.. thats a bad prequel

all those have pretty decent reviews almost everywhere..
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2006
    Simon, Celebrin,

I highly recommend the animes Monster and Twelve Kingdoms. They are a cut above the rest.

Jason
  • edited November 2006
    on that reccomendation.. i just bought 12 kingdoms/ 12 kokuki :P shud arrive in 2 weeks probs.. i ordered 1-45 episodes from japan.. noticed its ranked 12th on animenfo.com

bless japan and china 4 dvds:bowdown:
    edited November 2006
    Celebrin wrote:
    o.......................

bless japan and china 4 dvds:bowdown:

And ain't that a whole different can of worms?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2006
    Celebrin,

Just be warned that the anime series The Twelve Kingdoms is not finished as the novels have yet to be finished. Nevertheless, the story and the animation are excellent.

Jason
  • edited November 2006
    well 45 episodes will keep me goign for a while.. ill buy the following series when they come out..

a similar thing has happened with berserk.. the creator hasn't released anime in years as he wants to create more manga to work with...

I'm sat here waiting like a child on a sugar rush waiting for the next series of the anime..
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I'm going to get into anime, too. I'll take your recommendations and also do a little research. That's the kind of stuff I'd like to add to my DVD collection. You can watch it over and over, it's so good. Unfortunately there's no demand for it in my little town so the video store owner doesn't bring it in, even for rental. But I'm going to ask her about "Winter, Summer etc." anyway, so I might as well ask her about getting some anime for me, too. I don't have cable TV, only 4 channels, so I'd like to have some good DVDs I can watch over and over again, especially when I can't sleep at night.
  • edited November 2006
    yea for the same reasons i buy it from ebay.. u can get entire collections imported at about 1/6 (can be more or less) of the price of region 2 uk released dvds..

i got all the episodes of fma.. something like 53.. for £20 region free from japan.. if u bought it Uk region 2 official release it costs u £13 for like 4 episodes so u can imagine the difference.. can be huge