Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Barlaam and Josaphat: A Medieval Christian Version of the Buddha Story

GlowGlow Veteran
edited April 2014 in Faith & Religion

I was at Barnes and Noble the other day and came across this new translation of Barlaam and Josaphat. On first glance, I thought at first this was a book placed in the wrong section of the Religion shelf ("Hmm... this looks like it should be under Christianity."), but then I noticed the subtitle: A Christian Tale of the Buddha. This was the first time I had even heard of this work, which is apparently fairly well-known (more so in Christian circles than Buddhist, apparently). Here is the Wikipedia entry on it.

Has anyone read this story?

Comments

• @Glow I purchased a copy of the book published by the Harvard University Press, and have read the first few chapters so far, and yes it is obvious the Buddha has been canonized as a saint through this story by both the Orthodox Catholic and Roman Catholic Churches, though the Roman Church has kind of buried the saint. I almost chose Ioasaph as my patron saint upon being baptized in the Orthodox Catholic Church.

You might be interested in this fascinating lecture on this very topic: youtube.com/watch?v=v0isDs6EAU0

Glow
  • GlowGlow Veteran

Thanks @Silouan for that lecture link. Watching it right now. Very fascinating to see how this story eventually filtering its way Westward. I have heard St. Josaphat is a popular patron saint in Eastern Europe. I am going back to the bookshop to buy the book. I took a quick look inside, and it seems to have adapted Buddhist principles to more Judeo-Christian language. It might be an interesting way to find ways of bridging the gap between faiths.

• @Glow said:
    I was at Barnes and Noble the other day and came across this new translation of Barlaam and Josaphat. On first glance, I thought at first this was a book placed in the wrong section of the Religion shelf ("Hmm... this looks like it should be under Christianity."), but then I noticed the subtitle: A Christian Tale of the Buddha. This was the first time I had even heard of this work, which is apparently fairly well-known (more so in Christian circles than Buddhist, apparently). Here is the Wikipedia entry on it.

Has anyone read this story?

I haven't read that but thanks to you, now I have a brief idea. That's very enlightening. A Muslim I met many years ago told me he believed that Buddha was God's prophet but his teaching has been polluted throughout time.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I think this is interesting insight, but there's a danger it will become a diversion, a distraction....

While it's a mind-broadening and somewhat 'entertaining' read, I'm afraid I'm always asking myself whether something like this helps my practice go along smoothly, or of what relevance it can be to me....

Invincible_summer
  • @federica said:
    I think this is interesting insight, but there's a danger it will become a diversion, a distraction....

While it's a mind-broadening and somewhat 'entertaining' read, I'm afraid I'm always asking myself whether something like this helps my practice go along smoothly, or of what relevance it can be to me....

I think it would not help. Perhaps, it just stokes the ego in us; that what I believe is the truth; the original and things like that. Let's just get back to watching the rising and falling of the abdomen.

• GlowGlow Veteran
    edited April 2014

@federica said:

How can you know if you haven't read it?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

That's not the point I'm making.
    The book is an entire speculative work, and relates hypotheticals....

I merely ask, in cases where such material is before me, whether it will serve a purpose or not... and in which way.

• GlowGlow Veteran
    edited April 2014

@federica said:
    That's not the point I'm making.
    The book is an entire speculative work, and relates hypotheticals....

I merely ask, in cases where such material is before me, whether it will serve a purpose or not... and in which way.

I don't understand your posts. I posted this in the "Comparing Religions" section as a curiosity -- not necessarily as a direct correlative or adjuct to practice. Am I mistaken in interpreting the intention of this particular sub-forum?

The Buddha story (which I regard as a myth) doesn't actually exist in the Pali canon proper in relation to Gotama Siddhata. It's a useful allegory for the practice life or an illustration of Buddhist teaching, but I don't really use the story in my own practice. I believe, however, it appears as a Jataka story or in a sutta in reference to the life of a former Buddha. It is, however, important to be conversant with the story, even if it is a speculative myth, because it will be a point of access for many approaching Buddhism. This particular iteration, however, holds interest to me just as a window into seeing how such a tale could be interpreted through the eyes of another religion.

Invincible_summer
    edited April 2014

Fair enough. We're all entitled to our own views...Where you posted it, is quite correct. But as with any thread, responses will vary. Don't take it as a personal reflection of your own.

• GlowGlow Veteran

Okay. I was just confused is all.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Although it doesn't interest me much I was wondering if it is it along the lines of what Dan Brown could write about?