Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Raising motivation

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

This is a reflection recommendation by Lama Yeshe (TB) prior to meditation.....He said " Connecting with the reasons you are meditating is an important step of the process"

I am going to investigate and try to discover and understand my own nature and recognize my own false conceptions and mistaken actions. From the time of my birth up till now, I have been under the control of my conditioned, dissatisfied mind. Even though my only desire is for lasting happiness and enjoyment, I am constantly tossed up and down by external conditions.

I am completely oppressed by my uncontrolled, dissatisfied mind. My fickle, arrogant mind always pretends that I'm free and happy. Any happiness I do experience is fleeting.

So as I sit in meditation, I commit to observing intently the way attachment comes into my mind.

Like an alert sentry, rifle at the ready, watching for the enemy, my wisdom sentry, totally conscious every moment, is observing intently and investigating how attachment arises, how aversion arises, and how superstition arises.

Thus I will meditate.

lobsterperson

Comments

• We haz a plan!

The words 'observing intently' can occur because of the ability to focus. It sounds dualistic, in a sense it is. However there is a method to the path. It is a continuum. Think it is your mind? Think you have a mind?

Mr Cushion says:
    Strap yourself in if you have to . . .

VastmindKundo
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Don't forget to get some sleep.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited April 2014

@genkaku said:
    Don't forget to get some sleep.

Spoken like a true zennie ... ;) ... lololol

FWIW....I think these teachings are good for making people aware of the difference in the first place. What good is resting, when you haven't started work yet? .. :) ..

In all fairness.....
    You got to know where this stuff comes/what makes it come before you can let it go....

edited April 2014

Talk about fleeting.....and learning to sit/let go with what arises.....

I did the OP at 9:30 this morn....I then was on other threads cracking up and laughing....and all of a sudden like a freight train...a migraine hit me. I signed off....and 10 mins later I was in the bed...gripping my head. All sense gates were kicking my butt. I was not happy. ...But the awareness of the arising and what it meant just minutes after typing the OP...made it possible for me to sit with it, accept it, and watch it go by. After about 25 mins, and two pills I began to feel relief ( afterall, I'm attached to feeling well, right?) .. :D .. and I'm back on by 12:45...laughing at something Aunt Fede said and feelin' pretty damn happy again......

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

There is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with managing pain. Sure, 'Life is "Suffering"..' but we can always choose our suffering - or at least, dispense with physical pain. Like mental "pain" isn't enough!

Glad you're better, @Vastmind. Sorry you had to go through that, but given your focus during the episode, perhaps it was a good learning curve for you.

Vastmindlobster

^^^ For sure! I wasn't trying to endure any suffering on purpose.....it's just that pills can take a while to work....so sitting and 'waiting' takes on a whole new meaning...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"They say" ( I say that, because I have only ever had three migraines in my whole life, and I'm not sure if this works) ...they say that if you can manage to eat something, it draws the blood down towards the stomach, to aid digestion, and the pain lessens....
    If people experience nausea with their migraines though, it can be hard to contemplate eating anything....

edited April 2014

Yes....the nausea is something terrible! I can't even imagine trying to eat something...

Impermanence is a wonderful thing....... :) .. Only hours ago....time stood still...but as you said....focus can give way to learning...

Impermanence: Pali -anicca ..... Sanskrit-anitya .. :D ..

• @federica said:
    "They say" ( I say that, because I have only ever had three migraines in my whole life, and I'm not sure if this works) ...they say that if you can manage to eat something, it draws the blood down towards the stomach, to aid digestion, and the pain lessens....
    If people experience nausea with their migraines though, it can be hard to contemplate eating anything....

I get migraines too. I find that the only things that help are complete silence, pitch-darkness, and sleep if I can attain it. Mostly I need to be cognizant of PREVENTING the migraines because once I feel one coming on, I know it is too late. They generally will last several hours, and more likely all day. Getting enough sleep, eating right (not too much salt/sugar/caffeine), and not allowing myself to go cold-turkey on caffeine are my preventative measures. I am pretty good about following them these days. A dramatic shift in barometric pressure can also trigger a migraine though, so that is pretty unavoidable.

Glad you are feeling better, @vastmind!

Vastmind