Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Beginning Anew

edited September 2007 in Sanghas
I've been thinking, and I think that this sangha could use some healing. Beginning anew. I've read about the practice in Thay's books, but I don't know exactly how to go about it -- especially with this online community. Any thoughts?

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I'm confused.

Why does this sangha need healing? And what methods of healing are you talking about, my friend?

-bf
  • edited November 2006
    I've been thinking, and I think that this sangha could use some healing. Beginning anew. I've read about the practice in Thay's books, but I don't know exactly how to go about it -- especially with this online community. Any thoughts?

First thing to do to authenticate a real sense of a "new beginning" is to understand what that concept new beginning means to you.
    In other words, is there a preconditon to the phrases "begin anew or new beginning".

Here's the challenge: Any time you take your mind off the phrase " new beginning" write down where your thoughts go, or what thoughts come. Just do don't try to label it other than to claim it as practice. A pattern will emerge, don't judge it. For it is your own history and preconcieved ideas speaking, the feeling is the nudge that something is not in balance or is in balance. Take what you write and find a trusted friend. Therin, your sangha lies, it is as close as your breath, and as wide as your affiliations. If you let it, that is.

Number two: The compassion that you show to yourself is equal that you are able to show others.

-Metta
  • edited May 2007
    I want to "contribute" to that healing process by reatreating from these forums. Although my interest has most of the time been serious, i failed to practice what i wrote and discussed and suffered regularly emotional peaks, which i could not always controll and so made the atmosphere sometimes stressfull, for which i want to apologize. I hope I will recover from my self-made emotinal mess and will return in case my practice is stable enough to pick it uo again.

Metta
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Hi, Fofoo.

I haven't personally felt any stress created by you and I just wanted to give you a little reminder to treat yourself with the same compassion and understanding you'd treat a friend with because no one deserves it more than you, right?

Take care and I hope to see you back soon.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Every day is really a new beginning.

We should be able to lay down our cares and burdens at the end of the day and wake refreshed with joy.

Life is too short to prolong unpleasant experiences by carrying them on with some measure of vendetta the following day. No, contrariwise, one should cultivate an open, non-condemning attitude which will allow one to have fresh experiences and new joys.

Having been brought up a Roman Catholic, and taught about Hell, I have often imagined it a place whose chief torment was the inability to sleep and thus lay down a spiralling emotional unhealth. Sleep is a blessing and we should be reborn each day anew, refusing to continue yesterday's nightmares.

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
    Its loveliness increases; it will never
    Fade away into nothingness; but will keep
    A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
    Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.
    Therefore, on every morrow, are we wreathing
    A flowery band to bind us to the earth,
    Spite of despondence, of the inhuman dearth
    Of noble natures, of the gloomy days,
    Of all the unhealthy and o'er-darken'd ways
    Made for our searching: yes, in spite of all,
    Some shape of beauty moves away the pall
    From our dark spirits...
    —John Keats, prologue to Endymion's first words
  • edited May 2007
    … I asked the group to point to the ceiling, to notice their hand and what their finger was pointing at, in this case the ceiling tiles and lamp fixtures. Then we pointed in turn at the wall, the floor, our lap, our chest, noticing each time that it was an object (our hand) pointing at other objects, with their various descriptive qualities. But finally we pointed at what we were looking out of, and I repeated questions that Harding had asked: “If you drop your conditioning, drop everything you ever learned and proceed only on present evidence, just what is it you are now pointing at: an opaque, round, separate and solid object that relates to those things out there, or are you pointing at Space for those things, Capacity? Isn’t this Space boundless, speckless, and totally transparent, and isn’t this boundless Capacity in receipt of the room and what you are looking at? Isn’t it awake, and will you find Awakeness anywhere else in the world but Here?

No one said a word. We had no mirrors and no cards with holes in them or paper bags for the other exercises, but before they all jumped on me I figured we could deal with confrontation – something we prisoners are familiar with - by pairing up and sitting in front of one another. Harding’s “face to no-face” experiment> involves a standard supermarket bag with the bottom cut off, so that both ends are open. One partner places an end over his face, as does the other partner, and the commonly accepted idea is that the partners are confronting one another inside the bag, face to face. This is our usual way of relating to others. But Harding’s questions reveal otherwise: “Forgetting everything you were ever told, and on present evidence only, how many faces are actually given? Are you face to face, or is it face there and Space Here? Are you confronting that person, or is it Capacity here for that person there, and isn’t it true that you have nothing here, not a speck, with which to keep that person out? Are you not boundless, transparent, void at this end, and at the same time are you not filled with that person in front of you, so that in a sense you have died at this end and been resurrected as that person there? Aren’t we built this way, to die in each other’s favor, and isn’t this the basis of love?”

Well, you can imagine what I expected from my fellow convicts, but they surprised me. What I heard was, “Wow!” and bursts of laughter, and more “Wows.” I don’t know if they caught on, but something happened in that room even if only to me, or should I say, to the Space at this end, the Capacity that is always Here and always filled with what is out there. I came away from that meeting knowing with the certainty of experience that Who I Really Am is always available, always just an exercise away.

Are you a prisoner to your concept of self?
  • edited September 2007
    Thanks Brigid and Iawa.

Iawa: Regarding the self, I do not know if I am a sotapanna :) What I knew was that I had emotional problems, failed to practice more and more and became spiteful and made silly provocations. I felt more in an Irish pub than in a sangha ;) For some posts, I am ashamed even today because they defently were not right speech. I learned a lot though and I am facing my problems now inside me, not outside and I started to practice more. If I feel safe enough I might start posting again.

Metta
  • edited September 2007
    fofoo wrote: »
    Thanks Brigid and Iawa.

Iawa: Regarding the self, I do not know if I am a sotapanna :) What I knew was that I had emotional problems, failed to practice more and more and became spiteful and made silly provocations. I felt more in an Irish pub than in a sangha ;) For some posts, I am ashamed even today because they defently were not right speech. I learned a lot though and I am facing my problems now inside me, not outside and I started to practice more. If I feel safe enough I might start posting again.

Metta

You are not alone in the emtional " monkey mind ". I've been tossed on the sea of uncertainty since December and have been brutalized by an unscrupulus business agent. The events over the following months has been most trying in just staying afloat finacially and emotionally. I too have lost sight of the raft and fallen overboard into tubulent waters. When I finally surrendered to "what is" opportunities to refine my raft building, as well as, improve my navigational skills became available once again.

Best Regards
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2007
    fofoo,

Welcome back. Please do not be too hard on yourself. I have enjoyed our discussions in the past, and I look forward to our possible discussions in the future. I understand that everyone has their own view and opinions, and sometimes we do not express those as skillfully as we should. I am just as guilty of wrong speech as anyone else on this forum. Nevertheless, that should not make us lose sight of certain things, and one of those things is that this is a sangha of sorts. That means that no matter how much we may disagree with each other, we are still a part of a community and we should never hesitate to put our discussions on hold when we need things like advice, emotional support, just someone to listen, et cetera. Perhaps we could ask Brian and/or Matt to create a forum and set it aside as a safe place to talk to each other in a more caring and intimate setting. If possible, we could even make such an area only viewable to registered members. Anyway, I'm glad to see you back.

Jason
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2007
    After all, Fofoo, Jason/Elohim and I have managed to fight and make up any number of times. If we can, anyone can.

Hi, Jason. A 'private' forum can be a great asset or, sometimes, very divisive. I maintain afew private Ezboard fora for individual and group discussions that need greater security.
  • edited September 2007
    Thank you Jason,

I also enjoyed our discussions and am looking forward for new ones.

I agree with Simon that private areas can be very divisive plus Real "Harcode Internet Adversity Tourists" will register anyways in order to have their fun. I think when people are ready to talk about their secrets, they will do it openly. In the meantime, they can use Privat Messaging functions.

Metta
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2007
    Geez, you guys never cut me any slack, do you. :D