Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

'Agree' button

Sometimes you just want to voice that you agree with someone. Is this possible? I saw it on another forum.

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Button, Button, who's got the Butt On?

Agree or Disagree? Butt heads or not? Why not just keep things more simple?

Need our current polarization of society raise its ugly head everywhere one looks?

Jeffreyvinlynshanyin
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    edited May 2014

Well, I use insightful button for this sometimes. There was an agree button on one forum I frequented, but it became a popularity contest thing that took away from the forum and brought an open appeance of divisiveness between those who agreed and those who disagreed, so the admin made a helpful button instead. That made people think more. The are also awesome buttons on this forum, so if you find something said is really well said and also you agree with it, maybe use awesome.

The same admin on this forum, uses insightful because of Buddhism and getting glimpses of truth can be called getting insight into truth. I do not know which I like more. Both work, though they have tinges of difference. @Lincoln customed (or had someone custom them) the buttons here to have names other than agree/disagree, and got the badges in sync by coding I think also, the buttons in Vanilla can be agree/disagree or things like grades of agreement and awe brought about by reading after reflecting on the post.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

@Jeffrey I wish I could express how my feelings on this issue are in accord with your own, but there's just something missing...

JeffreyBunkspersonKundo
  • yagryagr Veteran

Often I wish to acknowledge the poster, particularly after they took the time to respond to me. I do not always agree with them, making 'awesome' inappropriate. Nor do I always find the information new to me, which makes the insightful inaccurate. Personally, I'd love a 'Thanks' button.

Yes @lobster, it's true - I didn't actually find that last post of yours to be insightful... but there was no thanks button. ;)

Jeffrey
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

At the moment the potential icons next to the pull down smiley are no longer displaying on the Ipad. I found them sufficient when they used to work . . .
    Personally I feel an agree and disagree button would give insight into our own and other people's alignment. Not everyone would need or want to use it . . .

Kundo
  • poptartpoptart Veteran

If we get an Agree button, can we have a "No, I don't agree, you bonehead" button too?
    How about a "Don't have an opinion, or even a thought in my head" button?

lobsterVastmindvinlyn
  • CittaCitta Veteran

How about a " please remove all button options from my account when I log on " button ?

• howhow Veteran Veteran

I know of another Buddhist site that removed the agree/disagree button for how personal and agenda driven they ended up becoming. It also seemed to become a popularity contest that brought a pressure to discourage innovative thought while rewarding the parroting of party lines.

I use insightful button not necessarily because something is insightful for me but because I think it might bring an interesting nu ism to a threads conversational direction..

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 2014

Can you imagine conversations IRL if you were not allowed to agree, disagree, laugh, or say Hmmmm, that made me think? Are you guys talking to walls or people that never say anything back? ...I would love to see how people socialize without any reactions or interactions. hahaha..

The mods are very good at not letting things get fired up just by reactions....the same would go for RL....I don't understand all this tip toeing and walking on egg shells about handling a group of people and interacting and noticing patterns...

No buttons would make it a blog just for people to be heard...the buttons make it a forum....to be heard and hear other people and kick the can.....

This is not a formal schoolhouse. I don't understand promoting aversion as opposed to learning how to go along to get along. Just sayin' ...

person
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Well as there is no 'laugh at yourself' button (as much as I have pushed for it), I reserve the right to reject any other 'press my button' button... lol

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

@Citta said:
    How about a " please remove all button options from my account when I log on " button ?

It has a bug where it sets your title to "Curmudgeon" permanently.

WonderingSeekerJeffreyStraight_ManCitta
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited May 2014

I want a Tardis button......... ;)

Actually I'm lying - I just want a Tardis. With David Tennant in it.

Ok I need to go lie down now........... XD

• CittaCitta Veteran

@Linc said:
    It has a bug where it sets your title to "Curmudgeon" permanently.

Could you do that ?....Please ? Hang on...harrumph...thats better.

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

@dhammachick said:
    I just want a Tardis. With David Tennant in it.

If you could code that I'd have a dozen.

Kundo
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran

As long as we don't have a 'disagree' button, I am all for it.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

But in real life we have the benefit of body language, tone of voice, and so on. I don't see it here much, but in other places, even FB, just clicking "like" can cause such an uproar. Sometimes I like a post because I appreciate someone brought it up, not because I am happy about the content. But it's amazing how many rude comments you get to the tune of "OMG! Why would you LIKE that post! There is nothing to like about someone having Cancer!!!!!" But written with foul words. Also, it very much limits our range. Like on FB, there is like, but no dislike, no anything else. You either like it, or you don't, and liking it can mean a world of things. Sometimes I like a post to acknowledge I read it. Sometimes, I'm liking that it was posted even if it was uncomfortable content. Sometimes I just like it. Sometimes I love it. Sometimes I think it's funny. Those things are quite apparent when you are interacting in real life. To get the tone intended by clicking a button, we'd need dozens, if not more of them. So now I find if I click like, I have to explain why I clicked it!

I'm not saying it's healthy to have an aversion to the buttons or anything, they add another dimension and they are kind of fun. But how they are perceived varies SO much. I might mean something entirely different when I click "awesome" here on one post, than I mean when I click the same button on another post. And those who keep track of who clicks what on someone else's posts, make connections that don't even really exist, and that makes things difficult because then they are reacting from a perception that is based on things that aren't true. Obviously, we shouldn't get rid of the buttons because people choose to make those false connections and develop poor perceptions (or develop a perception at all based on the clicking of a button). I'm just saying, it happens and it can make things harder when they don't need to be.

I love the idea of the meditate button!

• CittaCitta Veteran

One of the reasons I am agin-em is the fact that I am semi-gaga.

More than once I have pressed a button more or less by mistake.

In one particularly cringe-worthy act I signalled that i found something 'awesome'...head in hands...

Which actually is about as likely as my wearing a back to front baseball cap...

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

You can remove your clicking the button by clicking on it again. Click insightful once, it'll change to "Insightful-1) and if you click it again, it removes it. So if you make a mistake, you can remove it, or change it.

Is there a polite way to post a "Thank You" in a thread to someone who always has a view for once not opining? Silence is the Greatest Gift ofttimes!

• CittaCitta Veteran

@karasti said:
    You can remove your clicking the button by clicking on it again. Click insightful once, it'll change to "Insightful-1) and if you click it again, it removes it. So if you make a mistake, you can remove it, or change it.

Thanks @karasti..I had no idea...

• howhow Veteran Veteran

I now wonder how many buttons I might have eliminated by clicking twice?
    Thanks for the heads up @Karasti

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

You can only click your own pushed button 'again' (twice). You can't take away someone else's response, it remains true to life that way.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited May 2014

I have a tangential idea: Buttons for the entire thread. Maybe you find a thread to be "tedious" or "unhelpful", and if enough other members agree, it'll move the thread down in the list of threads or flag it for the moderators to check out. Or if a lot of people find a thread "helpful", it'll make the thread go up higher in the list, or maybe put the thread title in bold so it stands out and attracts more people.

Something along those lines anyway. It would be up to the admin what the consequences would be, but then a limited kind of community self-moderation would start to be in effect.

• CittaCitta Veteran

Head in hands.....Its all a bit anal isn't it ?

What about just communicating with each other ?

howpoptart

I agree with this here self-made Agree- Butt-On.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Linc said:
    If you could code that I'd have a dozen.

Haven't figured that one yet, so to borrow a custom from my fave crustacean (@lobster) have a cushion (it resides on my bed usually)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I'd like a button for "oi dunno"... :p

Nirvana