Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

what's your Metaphor Today?

edited February 2007 in Sanghas
What methaphor best describes you. I had the thoughts floating around today circling about in the fog: fire, flower, island, and vessel. No prefabricated remarks nedd apply.
Me, new growth of winter red berry wheat. -Metta

So how do you feel right............................................................................... now?!

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2006
    chocolate and propane
  • edited November 2006
    kitten!!!!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    A flowering cactus
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2006
    A wounded beast left by the herd.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    A lion that likes to feast on wounded beasts left by the herd...

Palzang
    edited November 2006
    You're a bastard.

But I LIKE ya!

-bf

P.S. I might be heading down to Scottsdale sometime this late winter. Keep your agender open...
  • edited November 2006
    LOL Palzang!

I feel like a stuffed turkey from all the food eaten over the past week!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    You're a bastard.

But I LIKE ya!

-bf

P.S. I might be heading down to Scottsdale sometime this late winter. Keep your agender open...

And I like you! Yummmm!

Sure. I'm easy to find. Just go to the stupa or our prayer center and ask for the beached whale posing as a monk. They'll know of whom you speak!

Palzang
  • edited November 2006
    Palzang, you are always making me laugh! You are the funniest monk I know! ;)
    edited November 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    And I like you! Yummmm!

You funny guy.

Sure. I'm easy to find. Just go to the stupa or our prayer center and ask for the beached whale posing as a monk. They'll know of whom you speak!

Palzang

I'll just stand outside with this sign:

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Hmmm, and exactly how many do you know, my dear?

Palzang
  • edited November 2006
    Just one!!! :)
  • edited November 2006
    Are you the only monk on this forum? I guess so, huh?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    You funny guy.

I'll just stand outside with this sign:

-bf

Shouldn't it say "Free Pally?"

Thanks for keeping me entertained, you guys. I'm in Tulsa again on another "mission of mercy" for my fellow monk with cancer, and it gets pretty boring here. He's in much better shape this trip so he can get around fine to all his appointments on his own. Meanwhile I'm stuck here in the room with nothing much else to do but surf. So it's great to have somebody to "talk" to, even if it's not directly!

Palzang
    edited November 2006
    It's in dire times like these that we need to have Brian GET A CHAT ROOM SET UP!!!!!

Ooops... did I say that too loud?

-bf
  • edited November 2006
    A Chat Room is a great idea! That would be so much fun. Come on, Brian!!!
  • edited November 2006
    Palzang, I am glad your friend is doing better. I hope it stays that way!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Me too! The idea of another month-long stay in Tulsa is, well, more than one can contemplate!

Actually I'm starting to like Tulsa. It has a lot more to it than I ever imagined, including a museum which houses the world's largest collection of Western (meaning cowboy and Southwest) art. Started by an Osage Indian who hit it lucky when his plot of land on the rez turned out to be sitting on a billion bucks worth of crude! Gilcrease was his name. Anyway, other than the rabid Xians you sometimes encounter (this is Oral Roberts territory), most people are really nice and friendly, despite the weird clothes I wear. All in all I could think of a lot worse places to live (like England).

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    That was a joke about England I threw in just to rile Fed and Celebrin and Simon. You understood that, right? Right? Hello?

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    ............Can anyone hear a weird echo round here.....?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I googled "Tulsa" and clicked on The Tulsa World. Here is their headline story for today:

77 years with each other

I never got to Tulsa when I was in OK: it snowed on the day we were to go. I hope that you are finding something to occupy you, dear Palzang.

BTW, when your superiors send you on mission to civilise us poor, benighted, blue-painted savages, there will always be a warm welcome for you...........

........you've see The Wicker Man, haven't you?

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I find Tulsa to be very much like the town I grew up in - a good place to grow up, a horrible place to stay! But at least no one paints themselves blue!

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    In some remote parts of Scotland, if people are blue, they're still warmer than average...

(Billy Connolly's words, not mine!)
    edited November 2006
    The Wicker Man...

Isn't that the movie where cult leaders with bad teeth burn people who have good teeth?

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I'll have to put that movie on my Must See list. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Hmmm...my metaphor for today...an angry, irritable storm. Or a boiling and spitting pot of water. Or a hissing and clawing cat. Or a rumbling earthquake. Or an out of control, pathetic being lost in a raging maze of my own design. Are any of these even metaphors? Oooh! I know...a positive process violently halted. (I'm in a baaaad mood. Excuse me while I go apologize for my outburst on that other thread.)
  • edited November 2006
    the wicker man is gd.. they remade it didnt they..

with nicolas cage.. saw a few posters and then never heard abotu it again .. Obviously successful cough

i like billy connely, he's just too good.. manages to slightly offensive but funny at same time.. taboo.. but i don't mind his offensive remarks... *crosses fingers while turning on tv*

my metaphor for this day is... the wendel eats an apple with a smiley face
  • edited November 2006
    breath, Yoko Ono has called fro Dec. 8th to forevermore be a day to forgive others their transgressions.

She's still noble.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Tires spinning in the mud, car sinking deeper!

I've noticed NB logging me out a lot. So I've
    learned to Select All the text and copy BEFORE
    I click either on Submit or Preview. That
    Way I manage to save my post and don't
    have to choose between forgetting all about it
    or starting over.

—wise man
    edited January 2007
    There was an advertisement placard on the MBTA subway system in the early 1980s in Boston, advertising a popular radio station. As I recall, it simply sported a picture of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini with index fingers in both ears alongside the call letters for the radio station. It was funny then, because for a period after the 1979 revolution in Iran, Ayatollah Khomeini had outlawed broadcast of all but, I think, two songs on Iranian airways.

POWERFUL METAPHOR for how I feel about Mr. Bush, to-day. But I don't feel too alone here.

I mean this, really, in a double sense. That image of Khomeini seems to resemble Mr. Bush's failure to listen. But I identify with it, too, since Mr. Bush is a face from the West that the world is not listening too, either. And, to great extent, I primarily consider myself First a citizen of the world, and an American only second.

learned to Select All the text and to copy it to
    my computer’s “clipboard” BEFORE I click either
    on Submit or Preview. That Way I manage to save
    my post and don't have to choose between forgetting
    all about it or starting over.

—wise man
  • edited January 2007
    Even the thought world citizen implies a seperateness to other rather than being a part of the whole process of what is.

Why limit yourself to global processes?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Today my metaphor is very much "a process". I try to remind myself of this as often as possible but today it's very apparent all on its own. I'm a process and a bubble of relativity at the same time.
  • edited January 2007
    sandwich lol
    edited January 2007
    Iawa wrote:
    Why limit yourself to global processes?

TO WHOM DOES THIS THOUGHT ARISE? —Ramana Maharshi

What self, what "yourself?"

I was just thinking in the vein outlined in Swami Vivekananda's BHAKTI-YOGA: AT first you love your family, then your neighbourhood, then your village, then your city, then your province, then your country, then the whole world...

It's not about limiting, but about expanding...

"Everything will flow - 'wave' everybody!" is my Metta-for......
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2007
    1. Some time ago I saw the movie, Remains of The Day-it has Sir Anthony Hopkins as a butler. he is so stuck in servitude that even when love presents itself in the form of a new housekeeper-he cannot bring himself to say "I love You"... The ending is perhaps the most poignant sp? (cant be bothered today). A pidgeon is caught within the windowed tower of the mansion, he lets the pidgeon out, the end is from the pidgeon's point of view-it flies away to freedom (Nirvana)-we are left with the butler looking out the window. I think it means that he is still forever remaining within the confines of his prison-mansion.(samsara)

2. The Truman Show has the ending with Truman running into the scenery of his fake world-he realises that it is all unreal-a folly. he is in effect, Released from his prison-fake world. (samsara) see side avatar-this is the scene.

3. In the movie Meet Joe Black, once again Tony Hopkins is the star, (Am I allowed to say I love that guy????-or is that gay?), he has been visited by a very wooden Brad Pitt (Joe Black), he is advised by mr. Black that his time will soon be "up". He enjoys his party and then he is asked by Joe to accompany him over the hill beyond the view of the guests-this is of course, his final few steps. (samsara) At this point, he has fixed up his corrupted son-in-law and the rest of his cronies that are attempting a takeover of the family business-we are all elated that this bastard gets his just desserts (karma?)

I think that these are my metaphors that I carry within my mind every day-they don't sadden me, just help me become more aware of this "life" of mine.

Do others see the same things in the above? Or am I totally wrong?

regards :confused:
    edited February 2007
    Xrayman, kind sir! I like what you wrote about the pigeon in Remains of the Day. Rings true to me. Also the The Truman Show world of "appearances." GeePersss, That AVATAR OF YOURS IS from the movie. Remember the scene well. (Sorry, I never saw Meet Joe Black, by choice.)

Hey, if they work for you! Are those something like what Federica calls "Metta-for?" I mean, what is Metta for?

One metaphor that has always struck me was from the movie City of Joy, wherein, at the outset, a poor family moves to Calcutta (Kolkata) and forthwith spends all its money on pretty decent lodgings. But, the man "renting" the property is a fraud and a thief, who knowing when the occupants would be gone, takes advantage of the countryfolk. When the rightful dwellers return, they turn out the newly arrived with threats, blows, and further indignities.

Could this be the metaphor for millions?

learned to Select All the text and to copy it to
    my computer’s “clipboard” BEFORE I click either
    on Submit or Preview. That Way I manage to save
    my post and don't have to choose between forgetting
    all about it or starting over.

—wise man
  • edited February 2007
    Nirvana wrote:
    TO WHOM DOES THIS THOUGHT ARISE? —Ramana Maharshi

Just an observed observer.