Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ten little monks

There's a picture going around the internet that shows ten cute little boy monks posing with their "Master" at the Chogye temple in Seoul, Korea. The caption never gives details, so people get the idea these are ordained monks destined to be raised in the temple like the guy in that Kung Fu television series or a Tibetan dali.

I'd almost forgotten about this particular custom over there. Every year, about a month before Buddha's Birthday is celebrated, a handful of boys are chosen and temporarily ordained, given tiny robes and heads shaved, etc. They live with the monks at the temple and are given tours of the museums, etc. Then they're handed back to the parents with the thanks of the order. I've seen pictures of the boys playing soccer with the older monks during this time, so they're hardly forced to live the life of a monk.

Anyway, thought you'd get a kick out of the picture if you haven't seen it yet.

Chazlobsterfootiam

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The little one on the left is Lucy Liu meets Mr. Spock....
    Sweet.

CinorjerChazBuddhadragon
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

In Thailand, however, there are child novice monks that live at temples long-term.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited May 2014

@vinlyn said:
    In Thailand, however, there are child novice monks that live at temples long-term.

In Thailand, it's not hard for a young monk to leave the temple if he decides it's not for him, is it?

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Cinorjer said:
    In Thailand, it's not hard for a young monk to leave the temple if he decides it's not for him, is it?

Well, I guess any age monk can leave any temple.

Not sure about true child novices...could they only leave with parental consent?

Thailand has complicated laws regarding "of age".

• footiamfootiam Veteran

I just got kicked! Thanks!