Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Intention as part of wisdom

I think it is interesting that intention is part of wisdom in the eightfold path.

Morality - Right action, Right Speech, Right Livelyhood

Concentration - right meditation, right effort, right mindfulness

Wisdom - right intention, right view

Isn't that interesting? I think you can change the course of your ship with intention. In meditation you intend to follow the breath and you embody that intention. A 12 stepper reinvents their intention to be avoiding alcohol.

lobsterBuddhadragonsova

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Indeed.

Intention is vow taking or refuge in the formal sense. I intend to be a Buddhist as soon as we agree on the cushion covers . . .

http://www.jgambini.com/hundredth_name.html

wangchueyBuddhadragon
  • wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited May 2014

What's interesting is that Right Intention (samma sankappo), is also called "Right Resolve". Which is two totally different things I think, but I guess these are just translations.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Yes it is @Jeffrey, Intention rests amongst the vital aspects of buddhism and is only revealed when good intention is realised; above all it is one of the most beautiful and edifying aspects of The Wisdom that does not reveal itself, as it only does so with Right Intention.

Let's use the analogy that in a self-conscious ship, it's steering wheel is the motivation, and the rudder that steers the ship is it's intention. Where is this ship going - nowhere but here...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Intention is All, as they say.

if you follow the path and 'do' everything right, but your Intention is off-kilter, then you may as well stay where you are, kickin' stones....

anatamanBuddhadragon
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

good intention=skilful thought which brings good results

bad intention= unskilful thought which brings bad results

Right intention=Right thought which is in Noble Eightfold path

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I would (and have) said that wisdom has to be a part of intention.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

yes I think they inter relate like that, vinlyn

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

the old saying that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" might better, IMHO, he phrased that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions and cemented with a lack of wisdom"

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I never understood that phrase. Is it the same as 'leave well enough alone'?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Means people can "good intention" their way into really bad circumstances. Mostly in having so-called good intentions with a lack of wisdom and skillful means. Just because someone says they had good intentions, doesn't necessarily mean their intentions had good results, and oftentimes, the people who say "I had good intentions..." the most make the same mistakes over and over again, using their good intentions to continue creating bad situations.

vinlyn
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I think it's more akin to "No Good Deed goes Unpunished".....

Or, we may originally intend to carry out a good intention - but then fail, can't be asked, or have the wrong motivation, and the deed backfires....

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@wangchuey said:
    What's interesting is that Right Intention (samma sankappo), is also called "Right Resolve". Which is two totally different things I think, but I guess these are just translations.

Even more interesting, is that in many translations, "Right Thought" is preferred.
    A book by The Buddhist Society uses "Right Thought," as "seeing the world as it is" or thinking in the right way.
    An old translation uses Right Thought, for example in this quote from the Vibhanga Sutta (Vinayapitaka):
    "Right thought consists of thought in which there is neither confusion nor distraction, neither anger nor hate, neither desire nor lust."
    Bikkhu Bodhi prefers, again "Right Intention" in his translation of the Saccavibhanga Sutta (Majjhima Nikaya):
    "And what, friends, is right intention? Intention of renunciation, intention of non-ill will, and intention of non-cruelty-this is called right intention."
    Ajahn Sumedho prefers Right Aspiration (as in Right Attitude or Intention). Aspiration to know the ultimate reality beyond the conditioning of the fixed ideas about the world our ego has created down the years.
    To bite the snake's tail, an aspiration to "seeing the world as it is."

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

This is from MN117, describing how the relevant path factors work together:

"One makes an effort for the abandoning of wrong intention & for entering right intention: This is one's right effort.
    One is mindful to abandon wrong intention & to enter & remain in right intention: This is one's right mindfulness.
    Thus these three qualities — right view, right effort, & right mindfulness — run & circle around right intention."