Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Movie review: Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons

CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
edited May 2014 in Arts & Writings

OK, I have to admit to a guilty pleasure. I absolutely love kung-fu type movies, the more over the top, the better. Give me fists and feet flying in every direction, sword play maybe, and throw in some impossible special effects, and I'm happy.

So recently I rented a movie on cable that seemed promising: "Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons". If you're not familiar with the famous old Chinese story "Journey to the West" from at least the many television and movie adaptations, please find and read a good translation. It's one of the world's best novels. It involves a Buddhist monk sent by Buddha on a journey to the West to find and bring back sacred scripture. The monk is helped along the way by companions, tasked to protect the monk to atone for their sins by Buddha. One of the companions is the Monkey King.

Anyway, this movie tells the story of how the young monk received his great mission and how he met, fought, and finally conquered the demons that became his guardians. It's full of monsters and demon hunters and a celestial Buddha bigger than the earth and humor and a love story and there's even parts that will make you cry. I believe it's by the same people that gave us "Kung Fu Hustle" and if you've seen that movie, you know what to expect.

So if you enjoy a good fairy tale that doesn't take itself or Buddhism seriously, give it a shot. A description simply doesn't do it justice.
youtu.be/aelriSQLqkc

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I'll have to check it out, my husband loves movies like that. Ong Bak is one of his favorites, lol.