Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

nutritional yeast

I've recently rediscovered nutritional yeast and thought I'd share some fun facts about it which seems to be especially helpful for vegetarians. It shocked me how good of a source it is for B-12 and protein. I'd always liked it on popcorn as a child and still do.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7360/5-reasons-why-im-obsessed-with-nutritional-yeast.html

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora,

I use savoury yeast flakes quite a bit,,,that cauliflower looks quite yummy, I'll give it a try...

Metta Shoshin :)

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

nutritional yeast on some sautéed tofu is So Tasty

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I am an ex homebrewer and I always wondered why vegans didn't cultivate yeast to eat.

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    I am an ex homebrewer and I always wondered why vegans didn't cultivate yeast to eat.

that's brilliant! am reading about it now :)

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

@Jeffrey said:

We Brits eat a famous , or perhaps notorious, spread made from yeast, called Marmite.

It divides opinion so much that there is a well known Brit expression..." he/she/it is a bit Marmite."

We either love or hate it...I love it. The majority do.

No non -Brits ever ever like it.

anataman
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Er..... My Italian Mum does.....

Mind you, Italians favour strong savoury flavours.... Look at Parma ham, Pecorino, and Parmesan cheese.....

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited May 2014

@Citta said:

Dude I LOVE it! But it cant be bought in Sweden.

/Victor

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Apparently the Canadians banned Marmite recently along with other iconic UK brands:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/24/marmite-ban-canada_n_4657312.html

je ne sais pas pourquoi!

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

:O I don't know what most of the products are in the article but I know Ovaltine and it should be a crime to try to ban ovaltine!
    I have to drive 2 hours to get the imported ovaltine.

Staying on topic, I only more recently even heard about nutritional yeast, but the cauliflower recipe in the article looks super yummy, now I have to see if anyone in our tiny little town carries it. I'm not a vegetarian, but I take a vitamin B supplement to help with my not-so-ladylike mood swings. Perhaps this would be better than vitamins, as I prefer to get supplements in more natural forms.

• CittaCitta Veteran

Well quite clearly @federica your mum and you @Victorious were Brits last life..

There is no other explanation..

federica
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

The reason a lot of these items were banned were because they were deemed as 'fortified' with vitamins I believe... Along with having certain additives.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

We mostly use nutritional yeast as a base ingredient in vegetarian gravy or as a shake & bake covering for slices of firm soya dipped tofu.

• CittaCitta Veteran

So they ban Marmite and Irn Bru , but export Bieber...

federicaEarthninja

@Citta said:
    Well quite clearly federica your mum and you Victorious were Brits last life..

There is no other explanation..

I am from Sri Lanka... remember? A former colony? You left things behind when you left. And we aint givin it back.

/Victor

federica
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Citta said:

I love Marmite! Of course, Grandpa was Brit.
    And we can buy it here in Switzerland.

edited May 2014

@dharmamom said:
    And we can buy it here in Switzerland.

And I hear you got real democracy too. Goodonyer.
    Could you pass some of that around please?

/Victor

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2014

I can buy it (the yeast, not Marmite....) on-line from Amazon - but you know, it's quite a lot of money for a small amount, and money's so tight right now, it's getting too expensive even to walk anywhere....

@Citta said:
    So they ban Marmite and Irn Bru , but export Bieber...

>

I believe the phrase is, "we drew the short straw..."

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Just ferment a pound of dried malt extract (DME) with bakers yeast and you'll have a ton of yeast on your hands.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/briess-dried-malt-extract-golden-light.html

inyoVictorious

"Just ferment"....? If you'd care to give us slightly more detailed instructions, that would be good...! How much yeast? Can you use dried yeast? What's the precise process, @Jeffrey...?

edited May 2014

It the wrong kind of fermenting and wrong kind of yeast. lol. Or should I say the right kind. The one that ends up with beer!

/Victor

I thought as much....

Just to help, and clarify, @Jeffrey....

edited May 2014

Yes but if you find a live strand of it. It should be easy to grow. Molasses should be easy to buy. And heating the resulting yeast to 60 deg celcius should kill the yeast. Just keep the fermenting container airtight and use a pipe with waterlock to went the co2.

I would be very carefull disinfecting everything first though. (heat the Molasses to at least 60 deg.) Cool it down fast to below 25 (so that bacteria does not have time to grow) and then add the (living) yeast.

you have done this, have you....?

• CittaCitta Veteran

Oh well yeast is yeast and west is west...

anataman
    edited May 2014

Not that type of yeast. But I brew my own beer. And my better half bakes bread using sour dough. She used to keep living yeast in the fridge.

You really have to try my no-Knead bread. I have made bread before, and used the loaves to make a delightful low brick wall... LOL!!

But this recipe I have is not only extraordinarily simple, the results are consistently amazing.
    My H initially 'mocked' me for getting all cottagey 'make your own' everything. But now, he won't eat any other bread....!

The home baked bread is the best! There are several recipes for bread using the remains of the beerbrewing. Havent tried that yet. I feel the domain of bread and cake are best left to other artists! :).

If your wife would like the recipe, PM me. It never, ever fails.

Ever.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

@federica said:
    Just to help, and clarify, Jeffrey....

Does that article mean that brewers yeast doesn't have the nutrition or just that it is bitter? Is the article written by the same company who is selling the yeast product?

Anyways to make beer get a bucket larger than your batch size with a airtight lid and a hole and gromit. You can find this at the website I linked. Then put an airlock in the hole. (Also in the site I linked).. Heat a gallon (if 1 pound DME) of water (need a stock pot) to steaming and then take off heat and stir in the dried malt extract (DME). Heat to a boil and boil 10 minutes. Allow to cool with ice filling the sink and recharging melted ice. Sprinkle the yeast on top. Add the airlock. Ferment out until the yeast drops to the bottom. Siphon the beer out and chuck it unless you want the beer (in that case you'll have to read up more on beermaking). You can collect the yeast slurry and put in jars and refridgerate.

I don't find the yeast at the bottom to be bitter. It's far from delicious, but if you really want your vitamins...

You werent joking! But @Jeffrey‌ how do you kill the yeast? You mean you eat live yeast? Does it not upset your stomach?

If you are really serious I will try it the next time I make a batch.

/Victor

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

The stomach acid kills the yeast. I have never harvested yeast to eat. But in brewing beer without filtering (like the big breweries) you always have about a quarter to a half inch of 'sediment' in the bottle. When I serve others I pour up to that point and then leave the yeasty junk. But when I drink my homebrews myself I drink it all and the yeast doesn't taste bad to me.

But yeah, the stomach acid kills the yeast which is a one celled species of fungi.

Again, I have never tried it. I have ranched yeast to use in subsequent batches. Have you ever heard of pitching on a yeast cake? Basically while you are brewing one batch you transfer a previous batch from its bucket into secondary fermenter. That leaves a big cake of yeast in the bucket. And then you dump the new batch on top of the cake. It's actually an overpitch of yeast and can make off flavors. I used to do it that way before I knew better.

I don't brew beer anymore both to prevent intoxication and because I got bored of it. I still have a beer with dinner out and sometimes, when me and my girlfriend watch movies, we have a cider or wine.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Oh and my recipe to harvest yeast is not the same as making beer because you would add hops in the beer and boil 60 minutes instead of 10. And there would be evaporation to account for.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2014

@Victorious said:
    And I hear you got real democracy too. Goodonyer. Could you pass some of that around please?

Well, you know how it is with any democracy: you're as democratic as the government decides you can be. I don't give much thought to politics, anyway.

@Jeffrey said:

But yeah, the stomach acid kills the yeast which is a one celled species of fungi.

Are you sure about that? Because in that case how can probiotica work? Some of those are fungi I think. Maybe they are more resistant to acid?

I know there is a syndrom where some type of yeast culture survives in the intestines which makes it difficult for those people to eat sugar. Because they get intoxicated by the yeast making alcohol in their stomach.

I haven't got that far as to use the old yeast in the new batch. Frankly I do not know if I ever will.

I always throw away the leftover yeast. And do a secondary "clearing" of the brew in a new bucket before I store it in barrel and carbonate.

/Victor

edited May 2014

The strains of bacteria used in probiotic supplements (including yogurt) are chosen for their resistance to the average Ph of stomach acid. Also, some other types do well when they are consumed with a type of sugar. Glucose seems to protect the bacteria from stomach acid.
    To my knowledge, yeasts cannot survive the average ph of stomach acid. That said, people with particular conditions, and older people tend to have a lower stomach Ph which in some cases can lead to yeast surviving. But it is not typical.

The condition you are talking about is a Candida systemic infection. Candida produce alcohol as they consume sugars (though that is not in any way limited to people who simply eat too much sugar, as the body converts all carbs to sugar and then uses insulin to bring the sugar/energy into the cells). That is often what happens when people have a low Ph in stomach acid. Most of the time the amount of alcohol produced is not enough to intoxicate someone but it wreaks havoc with the entire body.

Probiotic bacteria are prevalent in my salted/brined vegetables.
    Apparently, they're very good for one....

I find though, that if i gorge a little too greedily, my system complains.

to be blunt? I get a brief and painless case of the runs.

'Nuff sed..... :D

The healthiness of Bifidobacterium have resenlty been challenged in an article in Nature Communications about the Hadaz people. I havent read it but only an article about the article. :) . It seems these people lack these bacteria altogether and they are healthier (by some criteria) than others...

Go figure.

I get the same effect with too much probiotica . It is a very devious balance act to blot out the effect of penicillin with it. I am not sure it even works.

/Victor

@karasti said:

The condition you are talking about is a Candida systemic infection. Candida produce alcohol as they consume sugars (though that is not in any way limited to people who simply eat too much sugar, as the body converts all carbs to sugar and then uses insulin to bring the sugar/energy into the cells). That is often what happens when people have a low Ph in stomach acid. Most of the time the amount of alcohol produced is not enough to intoxicate someone but it wreaks havoc with the entire body.

No that was not it. The person actually got intoxicated by eating sweet things. Cant find the article right now.

/Victor

@Victorious said:
    The healthiness of Bifidobacterium have resenlty been challenged in an article in Nature Communications about the Hadaz people. I havent read it but only an article about the article. :) . It seems these people lack these bacteria altogether and they are healthier (by some criteria) than others...

Go figure.

I get the same effect with too much probiotica . It is a very devious balance act to blot out the effect of penicillin with it. I am not sure it even works.

/Victor

Because of my protein intolerance, I am regularly in touch with a nutritionist/dietician. I just spoke to her.
    She works at a Health clinic in Hampshire, UK, where I used to live, although she is retiring next year.... She became a good friend....

I just asked her about probiotic vegetables CAUSING diarrhoea, and she maintains that in all her career and research, it should be the other way round; probiotic food is widely used, on a successful grand scale, to PREVENT it.

She figures the diarrhoea is actually a sign that I'm eating too much, too quickly after fermentation has finished.

I should wait until the brine/vegetables have finished, or virtually finished 'fizzing' then store them in the fridge for 48 hours, and consuming them in small doses, until my system becomes accustomed to them.

Damn. And here am I, with 7 jars of newly-pickled-in-brine vegetables, and I can't gorge on them.

Life's like that.....

edited May 2014

It happens to some people, but it is rare, which is why I said "it's not usually enough to cause intoxication. It can happen even in people who don't eat a lot of sweets, it just depends on the situation for each individual. Eating a lot of sugar will increase the effect (and often cause low blood sugar as well). It is still an affect of the same candida overgrowth and some people experience side effects drastic enough to have the same effects on their body as alcoholism. The individual who noticed the effect upon eating sugars most likely suffered the same effects just upon eating other carbs, too, but probably didn't notice it as much, especially if it had been happening over the course of many years as if often the case. The more sugar that is present, the more alcohol the candida produce. As unpleasant as it sounds, they are finding that fecal transplants seem to help those suffering with severe candidiasis, thankfully, helping to prevent some of the more severe side effects of liver damage among other things.

edited May 2014

@Victorious said:
    The healthiness of Bifidobacterium have resenlty been challenged in an article in Nature Communications about the Hadaz people. I havent read it but only an article about the article. :) .

/Victor

>

This one....?

Ok.

edited May 2014

Might be this article.
    http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/140415/ncomms4654/full/ncomms4654.html

Slightly above the horizon of my understanding. But this was interesting!

However, unlike the Italian cohort, the Hadza GM does show significant separation by sex based on weighted UniFrac distance (P<0.05, permutation test with pseudo F-ratio). Analogous results were obtained when Euclidean and Bray–Curtis distance of genera relative abundance were considered (P<0.05, permutation test with pseudo F-ratio; Fig. 3). To determine a structural basis for the observed separation, we compared genera relative abundance between Hadza men and women using a Mann–Whitney U-test, and found a significantly increased abundance of Treponema (P<0.05) in women and increased Eubacterium (P<0.05) and Blautia (P<0.001) in men.

Er....Yah. You're not alone...... :D

Most likely if they were to be able to do similar studies on ancestral tribes around the world, they would find people with widely varying gut bacteria and healthy in every respect. What constitutes a healthy gut flora depends on the area the people are ancestral to. Historically, a lot of our gut bacteria came from eating dirt and meat and the bacteria contained in both. Because our current food systems remove all the dirt and bacteria due to processing, we are lacking it and have to get it elsewhere. Our need to be overly clean has an affect on this as well. Obviously, normal hygiene is important to health, but most of us do it excessively and end up depriving our immune systems of the necessary level of good bacteria, and also their ability of the immune system to do its job by eliminating too much of the bad bacteria. It's one of the leading theories on the huge increase in all the autoimmune disorders right now.

One tribe in Africa might show a high level of one bacteria and a low or nonexistant level of other types, while another tribe in the Amazon could show the complete opposite. It doesn't make the one type invaluable. It just makes them invaluable to certain groups of people.

Remember that one of the extremely good medications on the market for a severely upset digestive system, contains clay. Kaolin is also used to make fine bone china, and is used in the beauty industry in face-masks....

As a child, I used to sit in the garden, and eat small amounts of clay-dust from old bricks, which made up the wall in our garden.

My mother discovered me one day, and was absolutely horrified.
    She thought I'd poisoned myself, and rang the doctor to make an appointment - and all he said was, "You know, she might be wiser than all of us...."

It's not unknown for some people to actually gather and eat clay as a dietary aid...

Vastmind

^Yep! I used to eat dirt from my sandbox. When I pick carrots and other root veggies, my cleaning job is typically just to get the larger clumps off (we have a lot of clay in our dirt here) and we undoubtedly eat some of the dirt off them, along with potatoes. We spent a lot of time outside and don't spend much time sanitizing our hands. We're pretty darn healthy. Obviously, that doesn't mean eating dirt makes us healthy, but it's a link I see often enough (and is now being proven in studies) to make it worthwhile to me. Not a single person in our family has been to the doctor for anything other than checkups/maintenance in 10 years. That includes 3 children. No ear infections, no respiratory infections, not antibiotics. My 12 year old went to the doctor with walking pneumonia when he was 2. That was the last time anyone has been treated for illness at the doctor. I'll stick with eating dirty carrots, LOL. I do also eat loads of greek yogurt, but more so just because I like it in my smoothies. And because yogurt with raspberries fresh from the yard is a bit of heaven in a bowl.

edited May 2014

Janet, a young mother to toddler, speaking to paediatrician:

"Doctor, I wonder, I am diligently sterilizing everything my little girl uses to eat: her bowl, drinking cup, her bottles, her cutlery - even her dummy (pacifier). When should I stop?"

"Well, now.... how old is she now, exactly?"

"Nearly 14 months...."

And I take it she crawls well?"

"Oh yes! Goodness, she's active! She scurries up and down the stairs, and goes everywhere...!"

"And does she put things in her mouth?"

"Oh my word... does she?! Anything and everything! From a clump of soil in the garden, to her dad's discarded socks on the floor! Nothings safe...!"

"...Janet....?"

"Yes, doctor....?"

"You can stop sterilizing her things....."

(READER'S DIGEST, "Life's Like That'.)