Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ayurveda?

karastikarasti BreathingMinnesota Moderator

This is another one of those things I've wanted to learn about but haven't quite found the right reference. Does anyone have any books (ideally) that you could recommend as good reading about ayurveda? I can find tons of stuff online, but I prefer books for reading. I know there is a lot that goes into it, but a lot of it is lost (as usual) in more western use and translation, so I'm really looking for something a bit more traditional and not "Americanized."

When I was pregnant with my last son, I read a lot from Chopra's Magical Beginnings book which has some Ayurveda in it, which is what peaked my interest, but I didn't find it all that helpful. I'm also unclear about how doshas work, if they can change through your life, and if you should base the information on what you are like now, or for the most of the rest of your life (I was a beanpole until I had my last child, and so my body type has changed quite a lot since then).

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

My Mother studied Ayurveda. I will be seeing her this weekend, (It's a Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK... off until Tuesday) but I will ask her to recommend a readable and good, authoritative book....

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

That would be awesome, thank you so much! Enjoy your weekend and your visit. It is a long weekend for us too, Memorial Day, a day of remembrance for military members who died in service).