Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation and the thymus gland

yagryagr Veteran

I know that it can be very difficult to give advice over the internet when it comes to our respective practices but I'm asking for someone, anyone who might have a suggestion to go ahead and suggest something anyway.

My thymus gland is not working correctly. I mentioned in another thread the other day that I was recently diagnosed with MS. I was also diagnosed with something called MG (myasthenia gravis). Both have a strong connection to improper functioning of the thymus gland. I'd like to strengthen it. Medicine doesn't have a solution for me but I know that I have read of specific meditations or techniques to stimulate or heal individual organs and really, I have nothing to lose here. I've had to take a break from writing this post already because my muscles stop working before I can finish and need to rest them to finish.

If this is my lot in life - I can accept it, but I'm not quite willing to accept it without trying alternatives but I need some direction. Anyone?

Comments

• MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran
    edited May 2014

There is much evidence that meditation has beneficial healing effects. I can't claim to have first hand experience with it. I have found this guided body scan meditation very soothing though. You can also try unguided body scan meditation ,of course too. Anyhow as you said you have nothing to lose so to speak in trying ! Hopefully others with more experience will chime in. HTH , Bob

yagr
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran

@yagr said:
    I know that it can be very difficult to give advice over the internet when it comes to our respective practices but I'm asking for someone, anyone who might have a suggestion to go ahead and suggest something anyway.

My thymus gland is not working correctly. I mentioned in another thread the other day that I was recently diagnosed with MS. I was also diagnosed with something called MG (myasthenia gravis). Both have a strong connection to improper functioning of the thymus gland. I'd like to strengthen it. Medicine doesn't have a solution for me but I know that I have read of specific meditations or techniques to stimulate or heal individual organs and really, I have nothing to lose here. I've had to take a break from writing this post already because my muscles stop working before I can finish and need to rest them to finish.

If this is my lot in life - I can accept it, but I'm not quite willing to accept it without trying alternatives but I need some direction. Anyone?

If you are an adult, there's nothing to do about the thymus. Normally, before adulthood, the thymus is responsible with most of the immunity of your body ; at adulthood the thymus goes through atrophy, meaning that it shrinks and loses function, but the function is taken over by other immune system organs.
    Doing a little reading about MG, it is categorized as an autoimmune disease, and yes, linked with thymus disorders.
    Now, those thymus disorders involved are the exact opposite of what happens naturally with the thymus, meaning that it goes on the hyper- side of things, so you'll have an immune system that overreacts ( not to be confused with allergies ) to itself. To stop this, the treatment consists in long term steroidian anti inflammatory drugs ( which mimic the hormones of stress ), which help reduce the immune response.
    As for meditation techniques...use any technique you want to maintain a healthy mental balance, to reduce unnecessary stress, and as a result, you don't have an 'overdose' of stress hormones in your body.

Jeffrey
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I've heard teachers talk about doing tonglen for others similarly afflicted can have healing effects on the doer.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Consider acupuncture and also reflexology.
    My mother is a fully-qualified aromatherapist, and reflexologist. She recommends an aromatherapy massage for general relaxation of the muscles and ease of tension, aand certainly reflexology will be of great support.
    You should feel a general improved effect within 3 sessions.
    If you don't - find a better reflexologist.

Same with acupuncture, which can work marvels.

• Try kinesiology....this works for me and I 'tap' my Thymus daily