Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited May 2014 in Meditation

Tina Turner does a beautiful chant .....

For a little backdrop...this is Nichiren/SGI

"Many people associate Buddhist religious practice with silent, interior meditation. But the practice of vocalizing, reciting and chanting various teachings has played a vitally important role in the history of Buddhism. To voice one's innermost conviction and vow in prayer is an intensely public act. The emphasis on audible chanting as opposed to silent meditation reflects a core stance of Nichiren's Buddhism. Rather than simply exploring and withdrawing into the private realms of the inner life, religious practice is focused on bringing forth our highest inner potential in relation to and for the benefit of our fellow humans and human society. Nichiren often quotes the words of an earlier Buddhist philosopher that "The voice does the Buddha's work."

-- http://www.sgi.org/buddhism/buddhist-concepts/the-meaning-of-nam-myoho-renge-kyo.html

lobsterBuddhadragonsova

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

"I'll have what she is having"

Oh wait . . . I am an 'advanced Buddhist heretic' . . .

Go gal!
    http://www.sgi.org/buddhism/sgis-buddhist-practice/nam-myoho-renge-kyo.html

sova
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

Aw, I could only keep up from memory until 58 seconds. Geeze, disappointing for years of practice within the Nichiren tradition... but then again, it has been like 5 years, heh.

For anyone wondering, she is reciting the Expedient Means chapter of the Lotus Sutra in the Japanese romanji of Chinese. So... it's Chinese pronounced like the Japanese writing system allows. :)

lobsterZenshinVastmindCinorjer
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Is there a B side?

Kundo
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran

Is she doing guttural throat singing?

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 2014

@person said:
    Is there a B side?

But, of course. .. :) .. Here's a longer version...and the CD cover...

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

@Cinorjer said:
    Is she doing guttural throat singing?

Sounds like it, doesn't it? I'm not sure...her voice was always unique, anyway.

The recorded version above ( the first one is from her house in Zurich)...sounds more like her 'singing' voice. Warning...the above version can bring tears....it's touching.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2014

Tina Turner received the Swiss citizenship a few months ago.
    On the cover of the cd, there is also Dechen Shak-Dagsay, who was born in Switzerland to Tibetan refugees and has some marvellous cds singing mantras.
    I particularly love her latest, "Jewel," where she sings a Refuge, mantras to Medicine Buddha, Chenrezig, 1000-syllable mantra, Green Tara and the Heart Sutra.

http://www.dechen-shak.com/index.php/detail/product/cd-jewel.html

VastmindsovaKundo