Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If You Meet Linji On The Road..

If you meet Linji on the road..give him a wee hug. Poor chap.

BuddhadragonZenshin

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ah dear, @Citta.... what are you like....?

• CittaCitta Veteran

I know...

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Citta: many of us know what you mean, but shouldn't you be more explicit if you want to keep the thread rolling?
    So Linji said: "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

Well I didn't want to dwell on it @Dharmamom..he had obviously got out of the wrong side of the bed...

We all have those days I guess... :)

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I get the feeling I'm missing something...

We all need compassion but why especially Linji?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2014

Because he was the author of the aphorism "If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill him!"

@Citta is of the opinion that due to the diversification and progress of Buddhism in the West, the phrase no longer has the original intention or resonance...

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited May 2014

I knew the first part but I guess I missed the inside slant.

@Citta could be right but it would really depend on who is using the phrase and how they explain it.

I mean, it was probably misunderstood by many in the east as well, lol. That these phrases can be confounding seems to be a part of their purpose.

Thanks, @‌Federica.

Having now read the claim I have to say it's the first I've heard it. However even if it's true, it doesn't change the meaning either way so I don't see how it's being misconstrued.

• I thought it was a ridiculous koan when I first heard it. However it does work as an ironic statement, as in if you meet the Buddha on the road submit your life to his service. Not sure irony was the intention though.

• CittaCitta Veteran

@federica said:
    Because he was the author of the aphorism "If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill him!"

Citta is of the opinion that due to the diversification and progress of Buddhism in the West, the phrase no longer has the original intention or resonance...

In a culture which had been nominally Buddhist for centuries it had resonance.

Now its just the norm.

• MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran
    edited May 2014

My mentor Jon Kabot -Zinns interpretation

"Which means that any conceptual attachments to Buddha or enlightenment are far from the mark"

sovaZenshin

I can imagine the Buddha himself getting a good laugh out of it.Bob

• CittaCitta Veteran

@MeisterBob said:
    My mentor Jon Kabot -Zinns interpretation

"Which means that any conceptual attachments to Buddha or enlightenment are far from the mark"

Which has resonance in a culture like that of 9th century China where conceptual attachments to the Buddha or Enlightenment were part of the cultural norm.

We live in the Kaliyuga where nihilism rules.

ChazJeffrey

It does make sense in the internet though so in a way it could be more relevant than ever.

edited May 2014

@Citta said:
    We live in the Kaliyuga where nihilism rules.

I had ideas, conceptions , expectations of what meditation , mindfulness, enlightenment "should "be like along the way. A saying like this is just another reminder to drop that stuff , that's all ,-in a humorous way.

• gracklegrackle Veteran

Lin-chi founded his school during the period of Great Persecution 842 to 845. So there always a bit more to the story.

• CittaCitta Veteran

@grackle said:
    Lin-chi founded his school during the period of Great Persecution 842 to 845. So there always a bit more to the story.

No doubt. The problem comes when it is quoted out of context in an age of loss of meaning.

Chaz
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

@MeisterBob said:
    I had ideas, conceptions , expectations of what meditation , mindfulness, enlightenment "should "be like along the way. A saying like this is just another reminder to drop that stuff , that's all ,-in a humorous way.

We should have ideas and expectations of meditation, mindfulness,and enlightenment.

Thats what the Dharma is for.

Its the other stuff we drop.

We are not living in medieval China . We are living in a culture where values are confused, and people are drifting into Dukkha fuelled behaviours.

We need all the help and all the structure we can get.

BuddhadragonBunksJeffrey
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@Citta said:
    If you meet Linji on the road..give him a wee hug. Poor chap.

Just as long as you don't mind getting hit with a stick!

• CittaCitta Veteran

@seeker242 said:

He only does that because no one hugged him as a child. Aw....

edited May 2014

@Citta said:

We should have ideas and expectations of meditation, mindfulness,and enlightenment.
    Thats what the Dharma is for.
    Its the other stuff we drop.
    We are not living in medieval China . We are living in a culture where values are confused, and people are drifting into Dukkha fuelled behaviours.
    We need all the help and all the structure we can get.

I guess thats where we "part ways' so to speak. I have found expectations a hindrance, for my practice. Perhaps we (or I) are just not communicating our thoughts properly? What ever way works for you I would not be in disagreement with. Bob

overthecuckoosnest
  • gracklegrackle Veteran

@seeker242. The one time I got the stick I had built up a really hard knot between my shoulder blades. I recall the stick as being mercifully applied as it dissolved the knot.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

@MeisterBob said:
    I guess thats where we "part ways' so to speak. I have found expectations a hindrance, for my practice. Perhaps we (or I) are just not communicating our thoughts properly? What ever way works for you I would not be in disagreement with. Bob

I guess we do part ways. I am off to place flowers at the Buddha's feet.

Be well.

_/_

@Citta said:Be well.
    _/_

Thank you and you as well. ... :) ...

@grackle said:
    seeker242. The one time I got the stick I had built up a really hard knot between my shoulder blades. I recall the stick as being mercifully applied as it dissolved the knot.

It's also very good at waking you up when you start falling back asleep at 4AM! The stick is much misunderstood! :)

• @MeisterBob said:

I agree. In a way, the saying still has the same meaning it originally did. It still essentially means, "do not become attached to an established image of awakening. Allow it to open up as an organic experience."
    Sure, we live in a different culture than the one Buddhism originally arose in, but not all of us are totally taken over by nihilism and cultural relativism. Many of us still have our attachments to images of awakening that are getting the way of the real thing. Heck, I know I sure do.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Thich Nhat Hanh is a modern monk who revied master linji. Lets see what I recall haha.

http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Battles-Modern-Commentary-Teachings/dp/1937006530

This is an incidence where I cherry pick Linji and try to get what I can help. I too put flowers in my shrine as a gift to Buddha.

"As I see it, there isn't so much to do. Just be ordinary—put on your robes, eat your food, and pass the time doing nothing."
    —Master Linji

That ^^^ is what I got out of it.

TNH said Linji gave a spiritual enema or laxative or something. So he wanted his monks to be in the present rather than very knowledgeable. Horses for courses.

Zenshin

@how said:
    When was the last time your teacher suggested killing anything?

The last time I spoke to him, he was going to kill a cat. I tried putting a shoe on my head to stop him, but that didn't work...

Jeffrey
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2014

@seeker242 said:

@seeker242

I think I read about you in a book. Perhaps that shoe might have been better applied to the teachers head than yours and with enough force to have him forget all about that cat.

lobsterwangchueyDavid
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora,

If You Meet Linji On The Road..

Ask for directions but don't mistake his finger that points out the direction for the direction given ie the destination...
    Afterwhich wish him a good day and may he be happy( oh and don't forget to ask about his family) then carry on your merry middle way _:D _

Metta Shoshin:)

lobsterBuddhadragon

@how said:
    I think I read about you in a book. Perhaps that shoe might have been better applied to the teachers head than yours and with enough force to have him forget all about that cat.

I will try that! But I don't think it's going to work. He's very persistent and has a good memory. :P

Geez! Its a humorous, abiet, irreverent metaphor!

FWIW, the cat killing koan is the koan that my teacher currently has me working on. :) I'm not just talking nonsense. :) It's "Nansen Kills the Cat", Case 14 of The Gateless Gate

The Case

Once the monks of the eastern and western Zen halls were quarrelling about a cat. Nansen held up the cat and said, "You monks! If one of you can say a word of zen, I will spare the cat. If you can't say anything, I will put it to the sword." No one could answer, so Nansen finally slew it. In the evening, when Joshu returned, Nansen told him what had happened. Joshu, thereupon, took off his sandals, put them on his head and walked off. Nansen said, "If you had been there, I could have spared the cat."

The question he has put to me is "How can you save the cat?" I answered by putting my shoe on my head and he laughed and said "No, no no! You can't just copy Joshu! You have to come up with your own answer!"

So then I said "Well, if I gave one word of zen, I would save the cat". So he said "So then give me one word of zen". I pointed the the cushion and said "cushion!" He laughed again and said "No, no, no! It's not some general word of zen, it's a very specific word"

Koan practice is good zen practice method. :)

• CittaCitta Veteran

@MeisterBob said:
    Geez! Its a humorous, abiet, irreverent metaphor!

Conditioned irreverence has become as predictable and as meaningless as conditioned reverence.

Seth McFarlane is as much a product of consensual reality as is Rush Limbaugh.

They create each other.

edited May 2014

@Citta I doubt Buddha would want to be revered. I think he would find the saying funny.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

@MeisterBob said:
    Citta I doubt Buddha would want to be revered. I think he would find the saying funny.

Really ? Our need to invent a Buddha in our own image is curious.

The historical Buddha had a different view to our egalitarian one.

When a young Brahmin called Ambattha visited the Buddha to question him, instead of sitting at the feet of the Buddha he walked backwards and forwards as he spoke.
    The Buddha gently but firmly admonished him and made it clear that he expected the same degree of deference as was given to the Brahmin teachers.
    In other words that Ambattha should sit at his feet.

He called himself " The Teacher Of Gods And Men ".

He was called to his face, " The Wisest Of Men ".." The Best Of Men "," The Sage Of The Sakyas " " The World Honoured One " among other epithets.

He did not indicate any discomfort with being honoured in this way.

He made it clear that to harm an arahant , to say nothing of a Buddha, was a guaranteed way to experience hell states...

ChazJeffrey

That is not the Buddha of my understanding. Be curious then. So we disagree. No big deal. ... :) ...

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

Its the historical Buddha of the Suttas. As recorded by his contemporaries.

They are all available in translation.

edited May 2014

Quoting from another site, and I think it's a good analogy:

'Comparing the Buddha to any other man is like comparing Mozart to any other composer.'

"When God wants to hear music for his own enjoyment, the Angels play Bach.
    When the angels want to hear music for their own enjoyment, they play Mozart."

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@Citta said:
    Our need to invent a Buddha in our own image is curious.

Yes it is. It's called spiritual materialism.

I think there's a fine line between taking the Buddha as refuge and a contrived image of what we desire him to be. Cross the line from refuge to contrivance and we only revere ourselves.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

I can't imagine any of us being any clearer on the Buddha than we are on ourselves.

MeisterBoblobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran

@how said:
    I can't imagine any of us being any clearer on the Buddha than we are on ourselves.

>

Au contraire. We are types, he is the archetype.

@Citta said:
    Au contraire. We are types, he is the archetype.

He is a construct within a construct...

lobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

No, we are the construct.

When he was asked if he was a man or a God, he answered " I am Awake ".

Note not " I am just a guy like you "..

@Citta said:
    No, we are the construct.

When he was asked if he was a man or a God, he answered " I am Awake ".

Note not " I am just a guy like you "..

So you a construct constructing an idea, image of buddha from whatever sources you have ...

The problem we have here, is that you two are like itching powder to one another....

MeisterBob
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited May 2014

@Citta said: The historical Buddha had a different view to our egalitarian one.

What exactly the source is I don’t know, but I heard this from a Theravada-teacher; that all three types of comparing oneself are delusional or not-helpful.
    So all three statements; “I am superior”, “I am inferior” and "I am equal” , are beside the point.

I think that’s a huge “killer”of ego; a killer of superior ego, a killer of inferior ego and a killer of equal ego.

Cittahow
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

@federica said:
    The problem we have here, is that you two are like itching powder to one another....

A fair enough observation @federica. I am out of the thread.

Which in any case was a joke. Please feel free to close it.

_/_