Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I'm grateful for .......

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited June 2014 in Diet & Habits

Thoughts and feelings of gratitude are a pretty good habit to have and cultivate.

The Benefits of Gratitude
Gratitude is an emotion expressing appreciation for what one has—as opposed to a consumer-oriented emphasis on what one wants or needs. Gratitude is getting a great deal of attention as a facet of positive psychology: Studies show that we can deliberately cultivate gratitude, and can increase our well-being and happiness by doing so. In addition, grateful thinking—and especially expression of it to others—is associated with increased levels of energy, optimism, and empathy.

-- http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/gratitude

Bhikkhu Samahita :
http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/20799/gracious-is-gratitude#latest

Finish this sentence. I'm grateful for ........

ShoshinBuddhadragonyagroverthecuckoosnest

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran

you.

KundoVastmindEarthninjaBunks
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora,

I'm grateful for the BuddhaDharma...

Metta Shoshin :)

KundoBuddhadragon
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I am grateful for my senses and the myriad of sense pleasures. That's not very Buddhist, but there it is. It is one of the places I am stuck in my practice. Craving for pleasant or interesting things makes one have craving.

KundoVastmindFullCircle
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran

Creativity

KundoVastmindlobster
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran

@how said:
    you.

I am grateful you are on this forum, @how. You have taught me a lot. As have many others. I am grateful for this forum!

ToraldrisKundolobsterVastmind
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I'm grateful that right now, I'm not sick or in the process of dying.
    I'm also grateful for the rain that's made my garden sprout over night and brought the lilac blooms out :)

KundolobsterVastmindEarthninja
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Vastmind said:
    Finish this sentence. I'm grateful for ........

My life
    Second chances
    Everyone here
    My family
    My friends
    And @lobster‌ 's cushions :D ...

VastmindBuddhadragonlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Warning may contain dog bites and bee stings, which are something to be grateful for too . . .

Being grateful for the great things. Easy. Grateful for the other stuff . . .

_Nice Buddha? Dead. More Buddhas to meet down the road. Great. _.

anatamanJeffrey
  • MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran

Im grateful for everything I have-most importantly my family and friends. Grateful for the affliction that required a "spiritual" solution! Bob

VastmindEarthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Vastmind said:
    Today I'm grateful for chocolate chip cookies

or medicine/essential food item as they are known in moderation . . . Yum, had a big one yesterday.

Also yesterday I was grateful for water.
    It flows near to me in the form of the Thames, where I took these early morning Sunday pics . . .

One guy is watering plants, others returning home after drinking fermented cockney juice with their east end dogs. Others have humorously left water for thirsty statues.

Mr Bunny Rabbit has been on the town . . .

• ZeroZero Veteran

@Vastmind said:
    Finish this sentence. I'm grateful for .......

... everything and nothing.

BuddhadragonVastmind
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I am grateful for being happy here and now with what I have, and wise enough not to crave what I don't have.

lobsterKundoVastmindTheswingisyellow
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I'm grateful for Love

Took these pics by Putney Bridge today, where they start the Oxford and Cambridge boat race . . .

BuddhadragonKundoVastmindTheswingisyellow
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Ocean waves and quorn fillets ( and ice cream )

Theswingisyellow
  • CittaCitta Veteran

@lobster said:
    Mr Bunny Rabbit has been on the town . . .

The Thames +1.

It forms the backdrop and leitmotif of my life.

My very bones have been shaped by the chalk dissolved into it as it runs through it's valley.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Linda McCartney sausages, lightly done in the oven for around 20 minutes, then doused in onion gravy, and served with sautéed potatoes and sweetcorn.
    Delicious.

I apologise, i thought this was the yum yum thread.....

lobsterVastmindJeffrey
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2014

In that case.. " The Black Farmer " sausages produced by the UK's only farmer of colour..really.

His name is Wilfred Emanuel-Jones and he farms on the Devon/Cornwall border.

Cooked Heston style..poached in simmering water for a few minutes and then drained and fried in good oil until golden brown.

Served with Heston's mashed potato...bake large pots in their skins, scoop out flesh and mash with milk, butter, and salt and pepper.

Serve with onion gravy made with Gravy Pot stock and a dash of red wine and simple boiled cabbage.

Jeffrey
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I'm grateful for simple things.

Food. Breathing. Bird song. Sky. Earth.

VastmindBuddhadragon

@Citta said:
    The Thames +1. It forms the backdrop and leitmotif of my life. My very bones have been shaped by the chalk dissolved into it as it runs through it's valley.

Oh là là, @Citta...! You should bring this Byronesque side out more often...!

• CittaCitta Veteran

Well you know how Byron was described @dharmamom.." Mad, bad, and dangerous to know "..lol.

edited June 2014

@Citta: I'm trying to answer to your Pure Land thread before my son comes back from school, so please don't lure me into temptation with these devious thoughts...
    "Mad, bad, and dangerous to know..." exactly what the doctor prescribed...

Kia Ora,

I'm grateful for this 'precious' human birth...

@Shoshin said:
    Kia Ora,

I'm grateful for this 'precious' human birth...

......and the instruction manual that comes with it :))

Buddhadragon
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran

Grateful that I don't have to go to work every day.

Vastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Citta said:
    In that case.. " The Black Farmer " sausages produced by the UK's only farmer of colour..really.

His name is Wilfred Emanuel-Jones and he farms on the Devon/Cornwall border.

Cooked Heston style..poached in simmering water for a few minutes and then drained and fried in good oil until golden brown.

Served with Heston's mashed potato...bake large pots in their skins, scoop out flesh and mash with milk, butter, and salt and pepper.

Serve with onion gravy made with Gravy Pot stock and a dash of red wine and simple boiled cabbage.

[lobster faints]

I needs those sausages. Reminds me of black and white pudding/sausages my sister brought over from Ireland this week. Yum. ;)
    https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060811025146AAVoycW

. . . at the moment I am grateful for attachments. Of course I am grateful I am not too attached to detachment . . .

I have developed an attachment to my olde camera, trying to take better photos rather than buying a better gadget. So for example here is a picture taken a couple of days ago in Chelsea, near where I inadvertently wandered into a high security polo construction site (but that is another story)

TheswingisyellowVastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 2014

^^^ Not weird at all. .. :) ..

I'm grateful for my house in the 'burbs. There's been a lot shootings lately around neighborhoods that we have lived in. That's all we could afford at the time, and we saved, and saved to be able to provide a nicer, safer place for our kids. I'm grateful, they can just go out and ride their bikes without me having to worry. They walk home from school...( no, not 5 miles in the snow, hahaha), but they get a nice stroll and even pass a newly built park. I'm grateful I could provide a nicer spot for my children than I had. I'm grateful they aren't in a concrete jungle. They run down the stairs like the ones I used to see on Leave it to Beaver...hahaha. I never thought that nice, peaceful, green, run and play life was in the cards for me or the family I would have some day.

Grateful for my house and my yard. And bicycle chains that come off the kids' bikes all the time. I'm grateful they get to see ducks, and a lake.

lobsterBuddhadragonJeffrey
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Citta said:

Yes, the Thames is nice. I used to do those river boat trips which come with a cockney commentary on the sights of interest. ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Hopefully, they sounded more authentic than Dick van Dyke's efforts.... Bless him, he did his best.... Proper cockney can sound almost unintelligible to British ears, let alone what it must sound like to American ones....!

• CittaCitta Veteran

@federica said:
    Hopefully, they sounded more authentic than Dick van Dyke's efforts.... Bless him, he did his best.... Proper cockney can sound almost unintelligible to British ears, let alone what it must sound like to American ones....!

But D.v.D's efforts were surpassed by Don Cheadle's in Oceans 11 and 12 @federica...

And worst of all

( or best for a laugh ) is Brad Pitt being Irish in Guy Ritchies ' Snatch '. rofl...

loike, so dey arr so dey arr....

I know. it almost hurts the ears to listen, doesn't it....?

anataman
  • CittaCitta Veteran

Advances in dentistry.

A filling fell out taking some tooth with it.

It was dealt with swiftly, painlessly, and with huge dexterity.

For anyone like myself who was traumatised by experiences with the British School Dental Service , while in short trousers , it is a never ending miracle.

• edited June 2014

My breath (even when it's bad).
    The fact that I have the capacity to love.
    All of the people in my life who love me.
    Love, love, love.
    My chinchilla.
    The way sunlight hits forest pine trees in the morning.
    Poetry.
    Cheap underground shows in grungy old venues, and the communities that make them possible.
    Hikes.
    Books.
    My favorite podcasts.
    The works of Carl Sagan.
    My healthy, young body.
    The library up at the college I attend.
    The Dharmic teachings.
    Myths.
    The giant, humming winter machine plugged into my kitchen that functions as a bountiful and ever-cold food storage device. Thank you, refrigerator.
    And, lastly, my comfortable, warm bed that I am just about to retire to :)

@overthecuckoosnest said:
    The works of Carl Sagan.

I love Carl Sagan! Bought the 'Cosmos' dvd boxset to watch with my son.
    I used to say that he and Woody Allen were the only men I'd accept a marriage proposal from without winking.
    Nowadays, I'll settle for a steamy one-night stand with an All Blacks rugbier.
    Do times change!

howoverthecuckoosnestlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@zombiegirl said:
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." I am thankful that my fear of rejection no longer outweighs my love for others.

We haz plan!

grateful for present:

Return of @zombiegirl‌ /woman
    Love (gotta have that)
    Fingers, I have several
    Death, yes really. No death, no life
    Hats, I wear a cap very often as a sun block
    Mushrooms, which I had for tea
    Fish, not just because they are a symbol of the awake, they are also delicious.
    Cats, an excellent invention
    Words
    Space

Humour, that is 11 but who is counting?

zombiegirlanataman
  • @dharmamom, Carl Sagan is fantastic!!! I bought myself the Cosmos DVDs for Christmas.
    The book was cosmic and lovely as well.
    People like him are a gift to planet earth :)

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2014

and finally . . .

12 gifts (another form of present)

LOL - sorry guys but not much, I seem to have mixed this thread up with the ten things to be grateful for thread . . .

• CittaCitta Veteran

Summer

Buddy Holly

Good Golly Miss Molly

The working folly

And boats.

Hammersmith Palais

The Bolshoi Ballet

Jump back in the alley

And nanny goats..

Oh hang on, thats Ian Dury's ' Reasons to be cheerful`'

part three....

• CittaCitta Veteran

Indeed.

@overthecuckoosnest said:
    dharmamom, Carl Sagan is fantastic!!! I bought myself the Cosmos DVDs for Christmas.
    The book was cosmic and lovely as well.

I watched "Cosmos" when I was 9 (I can imagine that was long before you were born) and loved him to bits.
    The info is long dated but never mind, still one of the most intelligent series ever.
    Was deeply sorry when he passed away.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

I am deeply grateful for the native intelligence and propriosensitivities of most people. It does seem to me that most people are perceptive enough to get the gist of what's happening around them.

In those rare instances where people have absolutely no clue how to interpret what's going on and they react and make situations even worse, I think I need to remember this.

anataman
  • MeatballMeatball Explorer

I am grateful that dharma is still available to me and everyone.

Jeffrey
  • EugeneEugene Explorer

New Brunswick, NJ