Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sila (conduct) as a Samadhi (concentration) practice

not1not2not1not2 Veteran
edited November 2006 in Philosophy
The buddhist 8-fold path can be divided into 3 factors: Sila (virtue/conduct), Samadhi (concentration) & Prajna (wisdom)

To illustrate: Right Action, Right Livelihood & Right Speech would be considered Sila, Right Concentration, Right Effort & Right Mindfulness would be considered Samadhi, and Right View & Right Resolve would be considered Prajna.

Now, while these divisions are useful & accurate, I think it's safe to say that these 3 things are not seperate, as they compliment each other, depend on each other and feed off of each other. Lately I have been noticing that I can take all Sila practice as a concentration practice, as they are the application of Right Effort & possibly Right Mindfulness. It also seems to fit this description of Right Concentration:

"Now what, monks, is noble right concentration with its supports & requisite conditions? Any singleness of mind equipped with these seven factors — right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, & right mindfulness — is called noble right concentration with its supports & requisite conditions."
— MN 117

The phrase 'any singleness of mind equipped with these seven factors' seems to denote that any of the 8-fold path may be approached as a concentration exercise. Personally, I am beginning to apply the 5 precepts in this fashion. I also particularly like Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh's presentation of the Five Precepts as 'the Five Wonderful Mindfulness Trainings'. I think this is because actually applying the precepts involves raising one's mindfulness & ability to not follow distractions. For example, in regard to the 2nd precept, I tend to be very distracted on slow days at work. I sneak onto the internet, read articles that I've archived, & write posts like this one (bad buddhist, bad!). So, I try to be mindful of the states which lead to distraction. I still suck at this, but I am gaining more ability to spot this distractedness as it happens & after the fact through active cultivation. Additionally, these precepts give the mind me something to grab onto, something active to do & be mindful of. As I am just getting out of the 'blueprint phase' of my path & beginning to construct my 'raft', this seems to keep my practice afloat during periods when I am not meditating or studying. Also, the state of mind which occurs when I succeed at this is concentrated & peaceful. I feel better about myself & my life. My guess/hope is that seeing this reality will give me further & further motivation to intentionally practice Sila. This seems to be the case so far, though I am still very mentally undisciplined & unmotivated.

Now, the fact that I am not very motivated to let go of distractions brings me back to the original point of this post. In this regard I am sort of like a person who has to inch their way into the water because they are afraid of the shock of jumping in. What I mean is that, as I have yet to develop full dispassion towards sensuality & distractions, the thought of giving them up is a bit scary at this point. I haven't fully seen the benefit of such abandonment yet, so it's only an abstract. It's hard to be motivated by an abstract. Approaching Sila as a Concentration training seems to undercut that fear & lack of motivation. It allows me to inch my way deeper into the practice despite my lack of desire. For whatever reason, when I approach it this way, it is not that intimidating. It's a one moment at a time sort of renunciation, rather than a "you must never do these things again" sort of renunciation. So, in time I will see the benefit of this activity directly & naturally develop enough faith in the path to take the full plunge. Is that what it means to be a stream-winner? Also, I can tell that my mind is becoming more singular in focus, even though I am pretty sporadic in this right now. Every time I manage to maintain concentration through conduct, I realize I have succeeded at something that I wouldn't have been able to do before at all. So, I will just keep plugging away & eventually it will become a natural habit.

Anyway, this is just something I wanted to share, as it has been a helpful insight to my own practice. I hope you all find some value in it.

May we all attain singleness of mind in regard to the Noble Path. Best wishes & metta

_/\_