Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thich Nhat Hanh answers questions daily from his FB followers

Not sure if you guys saw this, but it is extremely cool. To celebrate one million likes on his Facebook page, Thich Nhat Hanh has been answering a question each day posed by people on his Facebook page. He is answering questions such as: How do I love myself? How do I stay in the present moment when it feels unbearable? How can I fight the injustices of this world without being consumed with anger, bitterness, outrage and resentment?
It seems he has answers for many of the questions brought up in this forum and you might find it helpful.
I am finding his answers very helpful and enlightening.
I am not sure how to link the video, but here is the link to his Facebook page: https://facebook.com/thichnhathanh

EarthninjaoverthecuckoosnestDandelion

Comments

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I don't think that TNH is actually doing the replies though, it is probably all down to his students; sounds a bit like Suzuki Roshi who did not write his book. But I guess the attribution is what matters.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@anataman said:
    I don't think that TNH is actually doing the replies though, it is probably all down to his students; sounds a bit like Suzuki Roshi who did not write his book. But I guess the attribution is what matters.

You make that sound like a Bad Thing.

Most teachers' books are transcriptions of recorded, oral teachings, usually done by a team of students - recording engineers, transcribers and editors. There is considerable merit in this activity. The upside is that the teacher can recieve income from royalties and not have to rely soley on funds from sangha dues, etc. My teacher makes his entire living in this way, so the sangha isn't burdened with his support.

Plus you make it sound like TNH has absolutely nothing to do with these "answers" that are being posted to FB? Is that the case with you?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited June 2014

TNH is not responding in written word. The question is posed and he answers it in video form. So yes, it's at least him speaking.
    He is not typing back on FB answering everyone's questions. Fans pose questions and I believe (if I understood correctly) the questions with the most likes are the ones that get answered, so as to help the largest # of people possible who have similar questions with one answer. The videos are about 5-7 minutes long each and he has been doing it for several days.

Chazanataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

No it's not a bad thing @Chaz, perhaps I should have been a little more reverent. I think the dedication of his students is an inspirational example of what a good teacher is to his students. Of course I expect the wisdom in the responses to come down from him, but I guess he would attribute it to his teachers and theirs before them.

Thanks for clarifying @karasti - I don't do facebook!

• DaivaDaiva Veteran

The videos are also available on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/user/plumvillageonline.
    Unless he is reading from a script, I do believe his words are his own.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@anataman said:
    No it's not a bad thing Chaz, perhaps I should have been a little more reverent.

It's not a question of reverence. It's a question of understanding and being circumspect with posting.

@Daiva‌ - TNH may be reading from a script and that's ok too. If I was producing and directing the videos I'd insist on it to expidite recording and editing.