Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The paradox of gaining mind

For years I have had the paradox of wanting to feel better and that taking me away from the present. This was interesting to me from Jackson Peterson's FB page:

If there is any practice in Ati, which there isn't, it would be simply to notice your current thought or mental event. That single thought is the sum total of your karma from infinite lifetimes. At the moment it dissolves due to its impermanence, there is the absence of infinite lifetimes of karma.

Realizing the emptiness of thoughts or mental events upon the arising is realizing the emptiness of samsara.

Nirvana is always just one thought away for citizens of samsara.

Ati means the Varjrayana I think.

DandelionEarthninjaCinorjer

Comments

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I am not exactly sure what you mean @Jeffrey; can you clarify it for me, I've just sat down with a fat G&T and maybe thats already putting me to bed mentally.

Dandelion
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2014

I don't know how to explain it differently? What are you getting from the quotation?

@Jeffrey said:
    For years I have had the paradox of wanting to feel better and that taking me away from the present. This was interesting to me from Jackson Peterson's FB page:

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Jeffrey said:

I can't get the whole quotation to go without that 'yellow' crap. But I don't know how to explain the quotation. What are you getting from it?

If there is any practice in Ati, which there isn't, it would be simply to notice your current thought or mental event. That single thought is the sum total of your karma from infinite lifetimes. At the moment it dissolves due to its impermanence, there is the absence of infinite lifetimes of karma.

Realizing the emptiness of thoughts or mental events upon the arising is realizing the emptiness of samsara.

Nirvana is always just one thought away for citizens of samsara.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

that's a sobering 'wake-up-call' type of comment, and worth noting...

Dandelion

Ahh, I think I get where you are coming from @Jeffrey, and the only way I can answer you is with my favourite buddhist image again:

edited June 2014

@robot, although @federica finds it sobering, I find it like this - AAAAAaaaaarrrrrggghhh when you find that you exist in the moment and see and experience the true beauty of just being able to experience it, not from a selfish perspective but from a headless form, you know the present is magical, past is past, future has not arisen; but here is now - wow; WOW!

Sometimes I just want to bash my head against a wall with frustration, but realise that won't make you see it my way (btw the half moon in London is amazing; it is set against the backdrop of samantabhadra's midnight blue colour, with a pure white contrasting half moon - I am going to explode, oops just remembered to breath again.......... Brown paper bag covers mouth...

Please feel free to see it your way.

overthecuckoosnest
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@robot said:
    What I'm getting is that there is nothing beyond the present thought or experience and nothing left when it's gone. And every previous moment conditions the present.

Thank you, @robot! An explanation at this hour of the night is always welcome. That matcha mug is not working.
    @Jeffrey, it's a good post. I'm just wondering if we have not discussed nirvana/samsara/impermanence ad infinitum the past week.
    Or maybe I need my pillow, sorry. Long day.

@dharmamom sleep well!

BuddhadragonJeffrey
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Thank you, @anataman. And you're not gibbering. We love you.

Jeffreyanataman
  • ShakShak Veteran
    edited June 2014

@federica said:
    that's a sobering 'wake-up-call' type of comment, and worth noting...

>

That's how I read it too.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

The paradox of gaining mind

We can observe in ourselves and others the dependence on the past, future or current experience. We can examine the dependence on emotional or other arisings from ourselves and others. We can also be caught up in 'spiritual gibbering', emotional empathy and other identifications. Such is the nature of dukkha. However as this quote implies we are gaining independence from our personal karma and entering a 'universal stream' . . .

Hope that is helpful :)

Buddhadragon
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran

Gaining mind? I mostly feel like I'm losing mine, especially if I try to consider karmic connections - didn't the big guy say that stuff was imponderable?

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Jeffrey said:

Ati or Maha-Ati was a term used by CTR @Jeffrey to denote Mahamudra/Dzogchen.

He saw them as essentially non- different and used the phrase in order to reflect that.

In Sanskrit it means ' primordial '.

Jeffrey