Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Death Of The Sharmapa.

CittaCitta Veteran

The office of HH Karmapa Thaye Dorje has announced the death of H.E. Shamar Rinpoche.

He died today while conducting teachings in Germany.

He was a great advocate for Buddhadharma.

Condolences to his many students.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Om Mani Padme Hum.

A favourable and auspicious re-birth awaits him, I'm sure.....

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Yeah I just saw that on FB. I have dedicated mantras to him for what it is worth.

• CittaCitta Veteran

Never doubt its worth @Jeffrey..

JeffreyanatamanKundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

May he escape samsara and if not, may he have a happy and meaningful rebirth.

_/_

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited June 2014

I really wish we had a :hands: ... emoticon

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Citta said:
    Never doubt its worth Jeffrey..

David Brazier says "A mantra is a word or phrase which is held in mind to protect the mind from unwholesome influences and to cultivate awareness of the higher purpose. A mantra is a spell. Mostly people live in a kind of trance. The mantra is a spell which breaks the trance."
    I recite the Om Mani Padme Hum and Green Tara mantras daily.
    When I placed an order on the Wofs site, I received a gorgeous little book called "Chant a mantra, read a sutra," by Lillian Too.
    We find the Heart Sutra, and mantras of Vajrasattva, Medicine Buddha, Amitabha, Guru Rinpoche, Manjushri, etc. Lillian Too admonishes that the merits you collect by repeating certain mantras will increase by 100,000 or that this one brings good luck, or breaks a spell, or gets your wishes come true.
    The mantra reciting procedure reminds me very much of the Catholic practice of praying the rosary or praying to saints.
    In all honesty, sometimes I feel downright gullible for praying mantras. I even have the impression that on one sutta, the Buddha is quoted as dismissing the practice of prayers as useless, but can't remember which one it is.
    @Citta, you said to @Jeffrey "Never doubt its worth." What is your take on mantra reciting? How do you explain that worth?

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    edited June 2014

today, the sun had a rainbow ring around it all day

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

namo amitayus

• CittaCitta Veteran

@dharmamom I'll start a thread...hopefully not a civil war...snork...

BuddhadragonKundo