Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New Buddhas

As we all know taking refuge which @Barra recently kindly shared is both personally meaningful and also meaningless without the commitment and moment by moment aspiration to walk the talk.

As an almost-Buddhist (have cushion, will travel) I am reminded of my commitment to the three stooges (Buddha, Dharma and Mo). Nobody here is disrespectful except through ignorance or when @federica is having a rest . . .

Respect for me means being skilful. Sharing teachings and how they relate to our experience and being.

So the question is this: The Buddha is dead. If he was alive, what would you ask her and if you were a New Buddha how would you answer?

My question would be: What answer can you provide?

. . . and that is where you come in . . .
Thanks guys.

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2014

What does lobster need to know...might be the question.
    He should ask himself ..................might be the answer.

lobsterNirvana
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

thanks @how, Mr cushion is on it . . .

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I would probably ask: why do I have to read soooo many suttas when with just the 4NT and the N8P I have enough work for several lifetimes?
    If the Buddha bothered to answer, that would make sutta number 80,001...

Theswingisyellowanataman
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@dharmamom said:
    I would probably ask: why do I have to read soooo many suttas when with just the 4NT and the N8P I have enough work for several lifetimes?
    If the Buddha bothered to answer, that would make sutta number 80,001...

Because. Those sutas are there to explain what the 4NT and the N8FP is about.

You don't need a Buddha to tell you that,but that's what you wanna ask ...;-)

@Chaz said:
    Those sutas are there to explain what the 4NT and the N8FP is about.

You don't need a Buddha to tell you that,but that's what you wanna ask ...;-)

Thank you, @Chaz. Several times I said myself that we have 80,000 suttas to explain one single lesson. I phrased my question wrong. Next time I have a question to put through to the Buddha, I'll make sure to have you beside me as interpreter.

• robotrobot Veteran

I doubt that the Buddha ever imagined that all those sermons would be written down. Had he known, he might not have needed to repeat himself.

Earthninja
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@robot

I think Buddhist masters throughout the ages, would shudder to see that the lessons they taught to address a specific problem before them, being presented as the Dharma for a universal audience.

lobsterMeisterBobanataman

@robot said:
    I doubt that the Buddha ever imagined that all those sermons would be written down.

I'm not so sure. A buddha, by definition, has kinda gone beyond the reality you and I find ourselves in. Who knows what he could "imagine".

Had he known, he might not have needed to repeat himself.

Did he? If suttas were redundant, I'd think scholars would have removed them centuries ago.

• robotrobot Veteran

@Chaz you said: "Because. Those sutas are there to explain what the 4NT and the N8FP is about."
    If 80,000 suttas to explain 4nt and n8fp doesn't include some repetition I'd be surprised.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

The question is 42.
    The answer is 43.
    Now get back to work! . :) .

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I think scholars (or at least, some of them) are too busy showing us how wise and intelligent they are by constantly coming up with new and different interpretations.... ;) Some forums are full of such investigations, and some 'scholars' there are convinced they know all the answers.... :D .

lobsterEarthninja
    edited June 2014

@robot said:
    Chaz you said: "Because. Those sutas are there to explain what the 4NT and the N8FP is about."
    If 80,000 suttas to explain 4nt and n8fp doesn't include some repetition I'd be surprised.

Have you read them?

@federica said:
    I think scholars (or at least, some of them) are too busy showing us how wise and intelligent they are by constantly coming up with new and different interpretations.... ;) Some forums are full of such investigations, and some 'scholars' there are convinced they know all the answers.... :D .

We do that here. All the time.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2014

Well, you won't find me doing that. When it comes to knowing/understanding chapter and verse, and being able to cite passages and find them, quote them and decipher them at whim - well, sorry, but I'm the forum phekk-wit.
    There are some things I do know, and i will refer to them to support anything I might want to add, but frankly, studiously discussing them in a scholarly manner....?

I'll leave that to others, and just watch.
    Which after all, is what is often required, anyway. ;) .

EarthninjaVastmind
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Chaz said:

@federica said:
    I think scholars (or at least, some of them) are too busy showing us how wise and intelligent they are by constantly coming up with new and different interpretations.... Some forums are full of such investigations, and some 'scholars' there are convinced they know all the answers.... .

We do that here. All the time.

@Chaz

Everything is in constant motion. Why should our interpretations be any different.
    Never seen a** carried** certainty that didn't say "ego".

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I would ask Buddha some tips on working with feeling (the skhanda). I want to know how you can possibly not crave a good feeling.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Regarding other sutras of teaching I think it wise to investigate them yourself. And remember the Pali Canon does not have a monopoly on Buddhas teachings.

• robotrobot Veteran

@Chaz said:

No need. You just summarized for me.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

When having a tough day with the wife and little ones I'd ask:

Did u have to leave your wife and child in order to become enlightened?

He would say: of course; It illustrates that detachment is the hardest part of following the path; but the supposed abandonment of my closest loved ones is testimony to the depth of my dedication and determination to find The Right Way to cast off and transcend suffering".

I think...

BunksChazEarthninjaTheswingisyellow
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

I just watched a lecture on the five kinds of people who say they practice the dhamma.

Just saying your buddhist is not practicing.
    Just chanting is not practicing.
    Have a complete knowledge of all the suttas (scholars) is not practicing.
    Meditating with no understanding of the dhamma is not practicing.
    Having some core understanding of the Buddhas teaching and actually meditating in seclusion IS practicing and is the way.

He went on further to clarify 4 stages of good practice, it was in Pali so he translated to English so I forget some of it!

One he stressed was to have a place to meditate, with no distractions and to meditate everyday. He gave the example of a forest, a tree, a cave or in this day and age an empty room :)
    Two was to develop deep concentration and sharpen the mind. Develop calmness like a pool so you can see through to what's below.
    I forget three.
    Four was to see unshaken the Buddhas wisdom.

On that note! I better go practice, see you guys later!

Buddhadragonlobstermmo

Woops before I go, he also said at the end.

To remember that you shouldn't waste any single moment. Seclusion and quiet is rare so if you have that. Use it. Most people don't want to meditate but don't let the days flow by. We've got a rare chance in our lifetime that the Buddhas teaching is still around. May not always be do!

@Earthninja, Could we have a link/reference to this 'lecture' please?

Who's 'he'...?
    It's important here that when quoting or even referring to outside sources, that you at least provide some kind of link or reference.

Thanks! :) .

Earthninja

Found it! Yuttadhammo - one who lives by the dhamma. YouTube. It has lovely background sounds too! You can delete my above post if you like! Sorry @federica‌

Hang on, I think it's this one...

Earthninja
  • In my opinion the Buddha may be dead, but the universal Buddha mind is always available to us..So the Buddha who had no teachings or paths to follow worked it all out for himself, & then later on wrote down his teachings..I believe that contemplating Buddhism from all angles is not going to help anyone realize anything, & once the gist of Buddhism practice is realized by reading & discussing..It is then all practice from then on, until our mind actually shifts to see things/life from a different perspective..Reality doesn't change only our view of reality changes over time if we start to become enlightened, & the present moment will slowly reveal itself to us....So I'd ask the Buddha if i was to follow his teachings, what % of reading to practice would i need to do in order for me to start becoming enlightened?..I reckon the Buddha would say 10% reading discussing to just get the gist of how to practice, & then it's 90% practice after that..Reading about any subject won't force our mind to realize anything at all, & so it's only by practicing the teachings or by practicing & then sharing our experiences, that our mind actually realizes anything for real & permanently stores the info as a 100% truth or fact..So i see enlightenment as having many different levels, & most people are not even on the first level..Most people aren't even on the first level of enlightenment, because their not aware of their emotional negative mind..In my opinion anyone who identifies themselves as their mind is not on the first level of enlightenment, but anyone who see's their mind as something to be referenced when needed but is not actually their "i" is on the first level.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I wonder if the situation is as hopeful as suggested . . .

No need to ask questions as we have the answers?

Perhaps we should be asking about para-nirvana?

Perhaps also it is the difference between personally and universally applicable that denotes the Buddhas answers?

Thanks guys :wave: .

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

If I was a new buddha, I wouldn't ask of you a thing...

However, some piece of quiet would be nice to enjoy the experience!

(peace and quiet.....)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I think Buddhist masters throughout the ages, would shudder to see that the lessons they taught to address a specific problem before them, being presented as the Dharma for a universal audience.

ah yes that would make a good question . . . probably not for a public airing . . .

_Hey Buddha . . . What is your favourite joke? _

Here is one of my favs for those who have not heard it . . .
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/13919/zen-master-vs-tibetan-lama

. . . and now back to the shuddering ;) . . .

@lobster said:
    No need to ask questions as we have the answers?

What if we don't ask any questions but let the answers come to us...?

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Listening to answers already present? [lobster faints]

. . . too simple . . . surely . . . wait Mr Cushion is nodding approvingly from his corner . . .

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

@federica said:
    (peace and quiet.....)

I like a pun @federica. Are you taking the peace out of me! ... \ lol / ...

... :D .

anataman