Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Belief and Faith in Buddhism

2»

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@federica said:
    Most 'Christians' focus on the NT. I find old-school Christians (and we're talking not only tradition, but chronology!) tend to also rely on the OT.

I personally find that the trend towards exclusive NT focus, has been gradually increasing over the past 20 years. At least, I'm speaking specifically from the PoV of a British christian community....

I agree.

If you listen to ministers such as Robert Schuller or Norman Vincent Peale (dating myself) or their "offspring", you really don't hear a passive message. It's almost all about what you do as a Christian that matters.

I was stunned yesterday when it was announced that the national Presbytery has voted to accept gay marriage. That's not OT at all.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2014

@vinlyn said:

It also voted to "divest from three companies that it says supply Israel with equipment used in the occupation of Palestinian territory." Personally, I'm glad to see more and more denominations moving in a progressive direction, bucking tradition for social justice and equality.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Jason said:
    It also voted to "divest from three companies that it says supply Israel with equipment used in the occupation of Palestinian territory." Personally, I'm glad to see more and more denominations moving in a progressive direction, bucking tradition for social justice and equality.

I agree. And glad to see some "churches" be willing to speak out!

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@dharmamom said:
    My feelings exactly. In theistic religions, it's like you give away your personal power and trust God will see to you.

In Buddhism, you take responsibility for your life and you are the one making your own changes happen.

Well, my opinion is that theistic faith is more nuanced than what's required from Buddhists. I think it's easy to say that theists just think "No matter, God will provide" and take no personal responsibility - we all know that there are indeed people like that.

However, there are also plenty more who use that faith in God to become more humble, more like an actual "servant of God" and do good works.

I don't think that there's any type of faith that's "better" than others. They all work differently for differently people at different points of their lives.

Buddhadragon
  • DaveadamsDaveadams Veteran
    edited June 2014

Hey maarten thanks for a good question, & yes that's exactly what i mean..

We bring each & every one of our negative emotions & feeling into this world ourselves, & it's not what other people do or say that brings our unwanted negative emotions & feelings into the world....

We react to what people say, & the negative things that happen to us over the years..So with a lot of practice at not reacting negatively, we start to see for a fact that we ourselves are creating our unwanted emotions etc..

Once a person see's for a fact that they create all of their negative emotions & feelings, they will find it very hard to manifest anymore of them....So if you already realize when your about to get mad etc, that's the time to resist the urge....

We can't get better at emotions & feelings control without negative people giving us the opportunity to practice on them, & so once you start practicing often you will look forwards to meeting the odd negative person etc..

I honestly never allow myself to get angry & lose it, because it's a complete waste of energy that achieves nothing positive.

• Hey federica with all due respect i know for a fact my mother is stuck in an emotional neutral zone, & i see her every other day & have discussed this with her....She never cries & is never sad, but could quite easily just sit there & watch T.V all day....It's quite common to be left in a neutral zone when someone has lost their long term partner, or has suffered a heart attack etc....Any life changing negative event would often leave a person stuck because their whole life is now going to be different, & they won't know what to do or where to get started....As I've been trying to find her things to do & places to go, she now goes out 3 days a week..Other than that she still sits there watching tele, & she has no desires or ambitions etc..I know there will be something out there that she would love to do, & that's what i have to do..I have to find her somethings to get her motivated, because she will never be able to motivate herself.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yeah.

That's called depression.

You can call it being stuck in the neutral zone if you want to (if it makes you feel better, that is...) , but please, please believe me when I tell you - it's DEPRESSION.

KundoSarahT
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    Yeah.

That's called depression.

You can call it being stuck in the neutral zone if you want to (if it makes you feel better, that is...) , but please, please believe me when I tell you - it's DEPRESSION.

Yes please get her to a doctor and get her some help.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Can you expand a little on your statements referring to: 1. 'deluded thinking' and 2. 'insight that is flawed is easily apparent' @lobster. I do like your posts, but there are times when I am left feeling, that I've just been evicted from the World Cup

If you play football to the rules of cricket, eviction is inevitable . . .

Deluded thinking is a bit like that. For example it accommodates its preferences, fantasies and endless machinations and wants to be considered insightful.

What is perhaps of more use is that wisdom has conventions and does on occasion use fantasy for example in allegorical tales or wisdom plays/rituals. It also breaks with conventional or current wisdom models to display areas of stagnation or impediment. It is gibbering with wisdom, crazy wisdom if you will.

As my cushion always says: 'Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin . . . '

anataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I liked that response @lobster‌; considered, resonating and profoundly settling.

Thank you!

Time out over.

Back to the maelstrom....

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@lobster said:
    As my cushion always says: 'Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin . . . '

No! Your cushion watches Dr Who too?????? :D ...

lobsterRowan1980