Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are you sure?

Many of us have confidence in the path and the three jewels. From personal experience we have become aware of NOT less problems, that is the nature of existence but less problems with our problems. In other words our dukkha/anguish/angst/turmoil/unsatisfactory attachment to samsara is lessened . . .

As far as we can be aware of anything, we become aware of beneficial changes. For me the beneficial changes are less dogmatic certainty and more conviction or confidence in the dharma.

What has convinced you? Posts to the usual address . . .

Buddhadragonyagr

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

'Fewer'.

'Less' is volume, 'Fewer' is quantity.

Somebody, please - shoot me.

zombiegirlEarthninjakarastianataman
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

like it..!

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

@zombiegirl said:
    ..... You know, walking around like the guy with shit in his pockets, wondering why it stunk everywhere I went...

Quote of the week.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

I didn't come up with that, it's a real story I read somewhere! Is this not commonly known? Lol. Even if it isn't, I certainly like it.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

@zombiegirl, Sogyal Rinpoche said that. Do you recall a talk where Sogyal continually said: "in one word it is spaciousness" repeat repeat repeat

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@federica‌ Of all the grammar errors, that one drives me the most insane. I am forever correcting my husband and my children on "less/fewer." It grates on my like fingernails on chalkboard!

I agree, I have fewer problems with my problems. But I do have to be cautious of being overly attached to my practice/study as well. More than once I have found myself irritated at being disrupted by my practice by a person in need of me to help them with something. Of course, more often than not helping the person has more to teach me than the book I am reading.

Earthninja
  • What has me hooked is the direct experience of self awareness that comes with quieting all of that mind chatter; the deeper levels of peace and compassion that I find myself opening to, and the wisdom that comes alongside that.
    Buddhist philosophy itself attracted me because it simply made so much sense. It has a clarity, conciseness, and practical means of application that is such a breath of fresh air. It is so non-pretentious.

Earthninja
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

I suffer less while having the same kind and amount of 'life' problems.

The greatest reduction in suffering has been in changing my relationship to what's running through my mind. Or, the mind.

Oh, there it goes again, the "I should have known better than this" jag. Or having thoughts rise up that used to plague me but now I react with, 'that has an interesting emotional shape'.

There's just so MANY of plaguing-type thoughts available for instant torture :D . The sheer number of them is daunting but I know a better way to relate to them. That's a far cry from not even realizing they were just thoughts in the first place.

Jeffreyyagr
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks guys.

Time to empty pockets?

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

The difference since treading the Dharma path is I accept problems as part of life. And if I don't, then I'm the problem.
    Mindfulness living helps one get tuned to the solution rather than getting stuck at the problem.

JeffreyShoshin
  • EugeneEugene Explorer

This is a good question and a good discussion. I'd like to hear more.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

@Jeffrey the name isn't familiar, so I more likely read something online that quoted him (her?).

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks guys,

We are the route cause and solution to our experiences? Who would have guessed. Think I read it in a dharma book . . . all of them . . .

Does that ring true, does practice confirm this? You bet your cushion . . . it is the one gamble that pays off . . .

Hands, claws and cushions up if this is your surety . . . We haz plan, we haz path. Anybody not sure? Ah well . . . other threads for that . . . :wave: .

Earthninja
  • EugeneEugene Explorer

The first thing I heard from the shonin (priest, leader, whatever) when I went to my temple/sangha was: "The essence of Buddhism is: let it go." That really appealed to me. It really hit home. Although I have a lot of quandaries (expressed in other threads), I think I'm beginning to learn that the ceaseless tormenting back-and-forth of my thoughts CAN be let go of. I'm becoming suspicious of my own fear, suspicious of my own tendency to bother myself.

lobsteranatamanEarthninjaBuddhadragon
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

really letting go can appear an impossible task at times...

Was that a pun on root @lobster?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@anataman said:
    Was that a pun on root lobster?

No it was bad spelling. I remember looking at it thinking, 'that is wrong'. However the route to the root is a valid pun and we can root for that. Cheers. @federica would is proud of you I am sure . . .

anataman
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

For me it has been realising something that has always been a part of me. Hard to explain. It is as if I've stumbled onto a footpath in the forest. I was walking next to it all along but this path is clearer. :)

I feel like a I've found something real. I've got to be careful not to cling to it! What a bind haha

Buddhadragonanataman