Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Recognising Upaya - that's awesome!

anatamananataman Who needs a title?Where am I? Veteran

Sometimes, when people start a thread, comment, or refer to a buddhist scripture or a teachers comments in a thread, I often think that a problem or question is being aired with only the intention of receiving a reply or causing idle chatter.

However, over time I have seen many posts, that may appear inconsequential or idle, actually have subtle intent underlying the question to bring awareness of dharma in a new or surprising way. It is like reading or listening to a commentary from a skilled and gifted teacher in my practice i.e. the effect is 'to get it!' or to get a little glimpse of the deeper nature of the dharma. On reflection, these people are using skilful means or upaya, to guide people who are looking for guidance in the right direction.

This has the effect of inducing real change in peoples thoughts and understanding, and when I look at how some people post over time, and that includes myself, as I masticate swallow,ingest and transform that knowledge into my being, there are subtle changes in view and posting content. And it is generally for the betterment of NB.

I just want to say to all the people who really do that with skilful intention, without embarrassing anyone in particular by name - it does not always go without notice, and you are awesome!

Buddhadragon