Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interesting article about one form of religious extremism

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/10/opinion/ghitis-mideast-polls/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Article suggests that Muslim extremism is "gaining land territory" but losing the battle of ideas...in the Muslim world.

zombiegirl

Comments

• mmommo Veteran

This article also talks about the Middle East problem from different angle.

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21606284-civilisation-used-lead-world-ruinsand-only-locals-can-rebuild-it

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Very interesting article, @mmo. Thanks so much for posting it.

When they mentioned Indonesia, it made me think of a huge tendency for the Thais to always blame "outsiders" for their problems, or to always blame "unidentifiables". They rarely have the ability to say "it's our fault". Now I know that that sentiment is present in many countries, if not in all, but in Thailand it's rife. Surely things the world has done to Middle Eastern countries have been unwise (e.g., making up new borders and new nations), but I think the things they have done to themselves are even worse...as this article points out.

Kinda goes back to that Shakespeare line: “The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.”

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@vinlyn said: ....Now I know that that sentiment is present in many countries, if not in all, but in Thailand it's rife....
    Kinda goes back to that Shakespeare line: “The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.”

>

That was actually my point when I said -

While your point is valid, it would strain the subject too much to start being all-inclusive, and frankly, whatever the truth of the matter, every individual country's 'buck stops here'.

>

Including other nations with the intention of "We're not the only ones, you're just as bad' does nothing to reduce how bad "you" (Generic) are...

>

In the 'American Flag' thread

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited July 2014

In some way its not that surprising, after all Muslims are killed the most in Al Qaeda attacks.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Al Qaeda Kills Eight Times More Muslims than Non-Muslims might be a big part of why.

It's an interesting article, and backs up your article Vinlyn, as if there's a light going on over there.