Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Repaying the "Karmic" debts....

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited July 2014 in General Banter

Kia Ora Karmic Conundrums aka (loosely put) Selves,

Search the self for an honest answer.........

What do you do when the inevitable unwholesome "S#!T HAPPENS" (hits the fan) ?

Do you see it as a debt that needs to be paid off and with acceptance work diligently through it?

Or do you b1t<h and moan the ‘why me’ mantra ie, accumulate more interest on the karmic debt ?

Or perhaps you don't buy into karma and just think along the lines of "S#!T HAPPENS" end of story........

“It’s easy to smile and be pleasant when one’s life flows along like some sweet song-
But the person worthwhile is the one who can still wear a smile, when things in their life go all wrong!”

For me personally, I tend to just go with the flow of what "is"....That is acceptance of what "is" and I just get on with it,,,

Metta Shoshin . :) ..

yagrmmo

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora @how,

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but it sounds good...

MeatballEarthninjaBuddhadragon

Kia Ora @yagr,

That's a great way to see things....Sometimes life can throw a wobbly, but in the long run it's still flowing in the right direction...

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@yagr you ain't no saccharine Buddhist.

Bravo. Karma? Don't wait for dukkha to get you . . . go grab some karma . . .
    Sounds like a plan . . . :)

How much funding do we require for your wife's temple?

yagrJeffrey
  • yagryagr Veteran

@lobster said:
    How much funding do we require for your wife's temple?

I lost track but I sent it to the usual swiss bank account c/o 'Lobster Cushion Fund' - I think you can check the balance from your computer.

lobsterShoshin

Kia Ora @how,

BTW...Welcome back...I hope you enjoyed the kayaking experience...

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@how said:
    Shoshin

Within equanimity, karma unfolds as just one of a number of forces of inertia.
    Outside of equanimity, karma dictates our responses to anything.
    What I do when the shit hits the fan has less to do with karma
    than with whatever level of equanimity I can muster in any given moment.

Hope you are back feeling kayak mellow . . .
    Yesterday not formally meditating and needing to, I was offered a herbal kalm tablet and Mega dose b vitamin. Patched me up but is not ideal . . .
    Interesting use of word inertia . . . meaning movement of dukkha rather than stillness of 'like a mountain' sitting . . .

:wave: .

• I believe that my actions will cause either good or bad outcomes for myself and others. If something happens, I will just wish and pray that it will pass as quickly and as smoothly as possible. Besides paying off a debt, or if your prefer, turning that vicious wheel, we should try not to create any more debts in this life.

EarthninjaBuddhadragonyagr
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

If I do something stupid, I do my best to learn from it. And try not dwell on it. Try not!
    I think chasing good karma is not a good idea, it's pure selfishness.

My motto I guess is learn from my mistake or if it's out of my hands. Just weather the storm and try see the reality of it.

Looking on the bright side helps too! I have food, clothes and a roof! Can't be that bad right?

BuddhadragonyagrlobsterCinorjer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I work with what I have to try and make the experience positive. I try not to think about karma but rather try to do good for goodness sake. If I work off bad karma or create good karma that's fine but if I'm aware of my actions I figure the damage could be minimal.

I work at an old age home and often times your mood affects the mood of those depending on you. I can't carry my suffering into work with me.

EarthninjalobsterCinorjer
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

I lie awake at night just worrying about how much my karmic mortgage is. I'm actually thinking about being rebaptized in the Church, accepting Jesus, and having my slate wiped clean. It's a real perk of the Christian religion just having all your "bad karma" (sins) taken away and replaced with "good karma" (grace).

Hmm. I wonder if Shakyamuni ever taught people to be so derned metaphysical. Well, if not, at least it gives people something to distract them from the path he taught. So he used the term and spoke on those terms a lot. I daresay that they were moral and practical lessons, not existential ones.

lobsterCinorjer
  • MeatballMeatball Explorer

I just try to figure out what and why it happened. Then try to figure out how to handle it. I have no way of knowing if it is karmic debt or just cause and effect.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

I'm grateful, in retrospect, that I never got the idea of karma as anything really solid so that I even THINK about it.

It's a semantics thing -- 'karma' is this word that has all these associations and connotations, both scriptural and personal. As a word it doesn't seem to be 'used' by my story telling function or in the daily interface.

If I had, I'm sure I would have misinterpreted it horribly and would be using it as just something else to make papanca about . . .

If we're talking about the facts of cause and effect and examining the conditionalities, I DO do that almost constantly (quantity over quality most likely :D ).

But I never regard a difficulty or failure or negative thing happening as 'karma' or 'that's what you deserve for xxxxx'. It doesn't even make sense, logically speaking. It strikes me as such a self centered, self absorbed going nowhere but in circles that lead back to me me me me thing. I spent the first half of my life 'there', it is boring and useless and didn't teach me a thing. In fact, it is the cause of more suffering than was there in the first place.

JeffreyBuddhadragon

@Nirvana‌ from my beliefs karma has nothing to do with sins and grace.

The Buddha only taught the path to the cessation of suffering. Metaphysical or existential is the same thing in the end.

My existence is what it is. There is no mind/matter/spirit. It's all one. Buddha just points this out to end suffering.

No grace, no sin. Karma is just arising of conditions you have created. Good and bad is just a dualistic human words for categorising :)

There is definately energy at play. Whether god made it or not. Who knows :)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Hamsaka said:
    I'm grateful, in retrospect, that I never got the idea of karma as anything really solid so that I even THINK about it.

It's a semantics thing -- 'karma' is this word that has all these associations and connotations, both scriptural and personal. As a word it doesn't seem to be 'used' by my story telling function or in the daily interface.

If I had, I'm sure I would have misinterpreted it horribly and would be using it as just something else to make papanca about . . .

If we're talking about the facts of cause and effect and examining the conditionalities, I DO do that almost constantly (quantity over quality most likely :D ).

But I never regard a difficulty or failure or negative thing happening as 'karma' or 'that's what you deserve for xxxxx'. It doesn't even make sense, logically speaking. It strikes me as such a self centered, self absorbed going nowhere but in circles that lead back to me me me me thing. I spent the first half of my life 'there', it is boring and useless and didn't teach me a thing. In fact, it is the cause of more suffering than was there in the first place.

Karma has to do with intention. I'm not sure what it has to do with the 'intention' spoke of the eightfold path. My teacher says compassion and kindness help keep on task in the dharma. There are so many phenomena. Right intention is part of the eightfold path along with right view. I am interested in how karma is boring. My teacher calls that the great 'so what'. What's next? Well it's one of the spokes on the eightfold path. Right effort should also be called joyful effort, right? So that actually feeds right intention I think. So like say you are having a hard time. You might be 'stuffing everything up' as my New Zealand friend would say. But if your intention is good then eventually the ship will right itself, perhaps having to reshuffle the deck a lot. I think this way. YMMV.

NirvanalobsterBuddhadragon
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

@Earthninja, C'mon don't be so literal minded.

lobsterEarthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Nirvana said:
    I'm actually thinking about being rebaptized in the Church, accepting Jesus, and having my slate wiped clean. It's a real perk of the Christian religion just having all your "bad karma" (sins) taken away and replaced with "good karma" (grace).

We haz plan! I will make an excellent Christian. Now which type to choose . . . m m m . . .

1 Corinthians 13:4-8
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

m m m . . . sounds hard, isn't there one you just kneel on a cushion and feel unworthy? That will do for me . . .

Jeffrey

@Nirvana‌ I just woke up, while reading your post. Again. I lie awake at night trying to figure out puns made on this forum.

Kia Ora,

I should point out, I don't see karma as being good or bad -reward or punishment, I just see it as the run of the mill cause condition and effect , for this to happen that must (have) happened ie, the universe's way of balancing things out...

Whereas in a past life (life before Buddhism found me) "I" might have become somewhat pissed off when s#!t happened that affected "me", but now "I" realise that, that "me" who got somewhat annoyed with the natural flow of things , was just creating even more s#!t, by trying to disrupt the flow... "Constipation"

Since practicing the Dharma-Life's become much karma (calmer), no more drama, Thank You Dalai Lama !

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

@lobster said:
    m m m . . . sounds hard, isn't there one you just kneel on a cushion and feel unworthy? That will do for me . . .

seems like love fails a lot haha

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2014

seems like love fails a lot haha

Every day.
    I luvs being unworthy and still lovable and loving. I could be a luvee . . .

All together now . . .

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2014

@Nirvana said:
    Earthninja, C'mon don't be so literal minded.

Better than being airy-fairy and seeing things that aren't there. Buddhism is basics.

Earthninjalobster