Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Doubts of a fair weather Buddhist

zenguitarzenguitar Bad BuddhistNew England Veteran

Greetings, generous Sangha. Here is something that has been bugging me. I have reached a point in my practice where I can handle relatively minor annoyances and pains (e.g. getting stuck in traffic, dealing with a difficult person, stubbing my toe, etc) with some aplomb, by practicing mindfulness of breathing and by being aware of the impermanence of everything. As a result, I don't suffer nearly as much as when I let my emotions run haywire.

But these are relatively minor and short-lived forms of dukkha. I am much less confident of my ability to weather a real storm, that is, a really severe personal crisis, or intense mental and/or physical suffering (examples might be terminal illness or the tragic passing of a close loved one). I am wondering, have any of you been able to withstand severe suffering like this by using Buddhist techniques? If so, what technique did you use, and how did you manage to reach such a strong and rarified level of practice?

Comments

• MeatballMeatball Explorer

"If problems can be solved, why worry. If it cannot be solved, what is the use of worrying."

• Shanti deva
      It helped me get through the darkest part of my life.
    zenguitarBuddhadragonDharmaMcBum
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

@zenguitar said:
    Greetings, generous Sangha. Here is something that has been bugging me. I have reached a point in my practice where I can handle relatively minor annoyances and pains (e.g. getting stuck in traffic, dealing with a difficult person, stubbing my toe, etc) with some aplomb, by practicing mindfulness of breathing and by being aware of the impermanence of everything. As a result, I don't suffer nearly as much as when I let my emotions run haywire.

But these are relatively minor and short-lived forms of dukkha. I am much less confident of my ability to weather a real storm, that is, a really severe personal crisis, or intense mental and/or physical suffering (examples might be terminal illness or the tragic passing of a close loved one). I am wondering, have any of you been able to withstand severe suffering like this by using Buddhist techniques? If so, what technique did you use, and how did you manage to reach such a strong and rarified level of practice?

You never know until you have tried.

And it is your effort that matters. You might be splendid at dealing with death in your family but burn down in tears if you favourite Ice cream melts too fast...

It is about how you catch yourself and what you do when you do.

There is no magic involved. Practice makes better. Perfect? not there yet.

zenguitarEarthninja
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Firstly I'd advise against thinking that a rarefied level of practice is something beyond this very moment of practice. All events can only be experienced or practiced with, one moment at a time.
    Buddhist meditation is not about being something you are not, it is about being able to really be who you are.
    If that is finding some moments too overpowering to address with equanimity, then that is just where you are on the path towards sufferings cessation.

I would personally say that what is more important than one meditation technique over another is your willingness to manifest the value of what ever meditation you practice above all other values.

Invincible_summerzenguitarBuddhadragonVastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I refuse to go into great detail on public forum. First, because it's nobody else's business but my own. Secondly, you never know who might be reading.
    Suffice to say that life has thrown up some.... extremely interesting "challenges" in the past few years... it has been a bit of a roller-coaster ride, with the downs significantly more in number than the ups. Put it this way, looking back, I'm looking uphill. But I'm sure I'm due an 'up' soon!
    I'm not saying my crises have been any worse than anyone else's. I'm not into comparisons, because it's not the trial, it's the tenacity. You never know how good you are at working with the hand you've been dealt, until the chips are down. That's the only time that Effort really pays off.

BunkszenguitarBuddhadragonpegembara
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2014

You build those coping skills over time, OP. But the main thing to understand, I think, is that Buddhism isn't about suppressing emotions like grief over a loved-one's death. The point is to let the emotion flow through you rather than blocking it, and to let it go when you're done grieving. It's about not clinging, and not getting "stuck". It's human to grieve, so--be human.

Buddhism isn't a philosophy of Stoicism, though it's misunderstood that way sometimes. Allow yourself to grieve. And by the same token, allow yourself great joy. Then, after the ecstasy, the laundry. ;) .

zenguitarBuddhadragonVastmindJeffrey
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

I've heard the only yard stick is your level of equanimity during any experience.

It's not about avoiding all the suffering but if you shorten it's life span your winning!

For instance I found myself getting anxious over a workout I was doing today. It had an audience which I struggle with.
    I then caught myself out and focused on the present. I would of been anxious for longer a few months ago!

Improvement is the key!

zenguitar
  • zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

@hamsaka, that's great, it's true I sometimes am looking for a "get out of suffering free" card. When I realize I'm not going to get it, part of me is disappointed and wonders why I bother practicing Buddhism at all. What am "I" getting out of it? But the wiser part of me realizes how silly this is and just laughs at it. Maybe that is one small step towards realization...

Thanks everyone. :)

DavidVastmindBuddhadragon
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

That's why we practice. When it's time for a big game and we're called off the bench....we have some plays we've been tryin' out......Some will come to us automatically (muscle memory)....and some we'll have to think about.....but we have them none the less. You'll do fine with your X's and O's.

zenguitarBuddhadragon
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

@Dakini said:
    Allow yourself to grieve. And by the same token, allow yourself great joy. Then, after the ecstasy, the laundry. ;) .

Thanks for the reminder - MUST get my washing out! :)

Earthninja
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@zenguitar said:
    hamsaka, that's great, it's true I sometimes am looking for a "get out of suffering free" card. When I realize I'm not going to get it, part of me is disappointed and wonders why I bother practicing Buddhism at all. What am "I" getting out of it? But the wiser part of me realizes how silly this is and just laughs at it. Maybe that is one small step towards realization...

First of all, @Hamsaka, I wish I could have double-awesomed that post of yours, it was sooo great.
    @zenguitar, don't live in apprehension of dukkha's blows. When it strikes, it simply strikes and you have to deal with it as best you can, with all the physical and psychological strength you can muster at the moment.
    Enjoy yourself, brace yourself and trust that when this happens -if it does at all- you'll be ready to see yourself through the situation.
    You bother practicing Buddhism at all because, in my opinion, it is the best psychological system that can help you understand what affliction is about and what you can do to stare at affliction in the face.
    I found no other religious system doing that better than Buddhism. That's just my opinion, of course.

zenguitar
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@zenguitar said:
    hamsaka, that's great, it's true I sometimes am looking for a "get out of suffering free" card. When I realize I'm not going to get it, part of me is disappointed and wonders why I bother practicing Buddhism at all. What am "I" getting out of it? But the wiser part of me realizes how silly this is and just laughs at it. Maybe that is one small step towards realization...

Thanks everyone. :)

You don't and WON'T need a Get Out of Suffering Free card, that's the beauty and the 'promise' of the teachings.

Shit still happens (that's a Zen saying by the way :D ). IMAGINING shit happening versus the actual shit happening is just an unnecessary buzz kill. It's the difference between imagining about an apple and eating an apple. We get into all kinds of trouble imagining and anticipating the apple, but just eating it is so simple, one sense and response follows the next, making all that imagination, in retrospect, a waste of the present moment :)

zenguitar
  • Hey zenguitar when learning mindfulness training, you have to also practice emotions & feelings control practice..Mindfulness distraction or mindfulness meditation for any unwanted negative thoughts you receive, & emotions & feelings control practice for when you receive unwanted emotions & feelings from another person or thing..The thing to remember & it's very important to remember, is mindfulness practice should be practiced when ever you can, not just when you need it for help..So practice when you eat, cook, clean, shower, work, walk, talk etc (maintain concentration on what your doing at the time), but don't go over the top with it as it takes a good few months of practice/realising..As you train your training yourself to realise that you already have full control of your emotions & feelings, if you can realise how to do it which you will if you carry on training..It's very important to understand that it's like riding a bike or learning to swim only a lot harder, your already trying it this way & that way without even realising how or what your doing & you are improving, albeit slowly you have improved..So just keep on practicing until it starts to work, & you will know when that is..I can't quite remember as i started about a year ago, but it must have taken me a good month or so before i even started to get the gist of the training..The training takes you beyond being mindful of breathing, to a point you can just be mindful of seeing..SarahT mentioned one of the magic words which is "patience", you have to learn patience as you do it because you will need a lot of it.

zenguitar
  • In the end the only thing that can help is unconditional confidence. That is the kind of confidence that can go into any situation including grief, war, illness, and whatever we are not prepared for. Conditional confidence is something like being used to your crazy cousin Larry or used to a very cold winter. In coping with everything falling apart we may discover that what we actually can rely on and even what we actually are is unconditional confidence. The mind is luminous and when we just let samsara be as it is eventually the mind will understand. Can take some squirming, but because mind is spacious there is always space to wiggle and experiment artfuly. Unconditional confidence would help with complete equanimity.

zenguitarBuddhadragon
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora @‌zenguitar,

When reading your post this came to mind:

"Great Faith and Great Doubt are two ends of a spiritual walking stick. We grip one end with the grasp given to us by our Great Determination. We poke into the underbrush in the dark on our spiritual journey. This act is real spiritual practice -- gripping the Faith end and poking ahead with the Doubt end of the stick. If we have no Faith, we have no Doubt. If we have no Determination, we never pick up the stick in the first place."

Sensei Sevan Ross, director of the Chicago Zen Center.

Metta Shoshin . :) ..

lobsterJeffreyzenguitarBuddhadragon