Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

communties or temples

HollyRose1HollyRose1 Explorer
edited July 2014 in Buddhism Basics

i have no temples or Buddhist groups i live in Delaware and i have bin looking for a religion for 4 years i really connected with Buddhism. i know most practices through books and reaches ....but how can i follow a teacher if there is no teachers around ?

Comments

• theres no nuns or monk around where i live

• thats in new jersey across the water from de

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Have you done a Google search of Buddhist temples + Delaware?

And even if there aren't any, I'll give you the same advice a Thai monk gave me: "Easy to learn about Buddhism. Buy a book. Difficult to learn about yourself."

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@Hollyrose1

Getting over thinking that your practice must wait until a temple or Sangha becomes accessible to you, can be your first teacher showing you what really hinders your entry into practicing.

Your posting here alone suggests that you think that it's time to move from a theoretical practice to the applicative.
    If you do know most Buddhist practices through books, just choose the one that best fits your current situation and do it..

"When the student is ready..the teacher appears" is one of the more common experiences that most NB's here will confirm.

HollyRose1Invincible_summer
  • ok thanks for the information i have my mind set on learn Buddhism and the teachings thanks for the wisdom.
    :)

• MeatballMeatball Explorer

I practice on my own too.

HollyRose1
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

There are also many teachers who record teachings for youtube. Some of them interact with students via email. It also allows you to check out different types of Buddhism, different teachers, different styles, without having to do so much footwork, appointment making, and so on.

HollyRose1
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

I practice on my own too! I've had questions but most of then answer themselves in time :), the internet is wonderful form of information!

You don't need anything to practice Buddhism. A teacher would help but a bad teacher would be a hindrance! You'll do fine' :)

vinlynHollyRose1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

There is no such thing as a 'bad' teacher. There are teachers who should not be teaching, but even the bad things they teach us have purpose. They teach us what to steer clear of in future, for a start....The question lies in our own ability to evaluate Skilfully, discern carefully, think and implement....

HollyRose1
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@federica‌ hmmm this is true. Leave it to dhamma.

HollyRose1
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@HollyRose1 said:
    i have no temples or Buddhist groups i live in Delaware and i have bin looking for a religion for 4 years i really connected with Buddhism. i know most practices through books and reaches ....but how can i follow a teacher if there is no teachers around ?

There is a zen teacher at the Delaware Valley Zen Center. :)

http://www.dvzc.org/

• zen center is in Newark too far to travel

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@HollyRose1, do you know which Buddhist tradition you'd like to follow? That sort of helps narrow down what teacher you're looking for.

There's a completely online Soto Zen sangha that I hear has a pretty good reputation. Haven't really tried it myself though. Here's the link.

Dhammawheel is a good Theravada-oriented site with lots of knowledgeable users, even some monastics. There's a weekly online study group too.

mmoHollyRose1