Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Offerings in Tibetan Buddhism

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

The post @yagr made the other day regarding The New Meditation Handbook referred to the type of offerings made to the Buddha(s) in this tradition.

In the pre-meditation recitations I often listen to, they refer to offerings in the following way:

The objects of attachment, aversion and ignorance
Friends, enemies and strangers
my body, wealth and enjoyments
I offer these without any sense of loss
Please accept them with pleasure
and inspire me and others to be free from the three poisonous attitudes

Some questions:

Are these being offered for us to get rid of them e.g. the object of my attachment may be alcohol or cigarettes?
Are they being offered so that they're protected by the Buddha(s) e.g. my friends and family?
Why would the Buddha be pleased in receiving my alcohol, cigarettes and anger?

I'm curious to know the idea behind this offering.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Comments

• @Bunks said:

Are these being offered for us to get rid of them e.g. the object of my attachment may be alcohol or cigarettes?
    Are they being offered so that they're protected by the Buddha(s) e.g. my friends and family?

First remember that Tantra is based on fantasy/imagination/visualisation as a skilful means of motivation and inspiration . . .

Now what do Buddhas do with bad stuff . . . well in their wrathful manifestations, when picnicking in the hell realms, Buddhas like to pass on the bad stuff to demons. When you have to drink hot lava, strong alcohol is as cooling as chilled water. Demons sure are glad to breath in the toxic fumes from nicotine after having to breath in the toxicity of hot air issued by politicians from both ends. Anger to demons is like a lullaby after being cursed by the righteous to eternal damnation.

Hope that helps.

Yesterday I was in the hell realms. Luckily caused by nightmares, last of my food poisoning and mind karma. It sure was hell. Of course some have it bad . . .
    :wave: .

Bunks
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@Bunks said:
    The post yagr made the other day regarding The New Meditation Handbook referred to the type of offerings made to the Buddha(s) in this tradition.

In the pre-meditation recitations I often listen to, they refer to offerings in the following way:

Some questions:

What's that aspiration from?

Offerings such as those mentioned don't have much to do with getting "rid" of things. Really not about protection, either. And the Buddha wouldn't be pleased or displeased. Buddhas don't roll that way.

It also isn't like Lobster describes, either. That's cute and clever, but hardly a fair or helpful view of offerings.

I like to think of them as an aspiration or a demonstration of intent. In some cases (not yours) it's kind of like putting out the welcome mat. They always have something to do with how you value things, but in a less specifc way that to say "cigarettes". They oftentimes relate to sense faculties and their objects.

In Tsok practice food and beverage is "offered" as a part of a meal/feast. A little bit of each food offering is placed on the shrine. Helpings are consumed by the practitioners, and in some cases, leftovers are left outdoors for Hungry Ghosts.

As you can see offerings and what they mean vary quite a bit. Based on the prevailing attitude here, we'll ultimately arrive at offerings meaning whatever you want them to mean.

Bunks
  • For a Buddha eating a dog shit sandwich has the same taste of reality as a veggie burger. Giving everything to Buddha sets in motion strong devotion to practicing.

ChazBunks
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

@Bunks said:
    The post yagr made the other day regarding The New Meditation Handbook referred to the type of offerings made to the Buddha(s) in this tradition.

Some questions:

When you offer a Mandala you can include all of the above, Transform all things into complete purity.

Bunks