Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Borat

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited September 2007 in Arts & Writings
Well I am assuming that he should be quite a controversy in the Western and Central Asian regions - in most of Asia he is still quite unknown save for a word-of-mouth comedian.

Borat is British comedian Baron Cohen, for those who have no clue, a fictional Kazakhstani reporter who is extreme with his satires and humour. His official website is http://www.borat.tv and that he has been quite responsible for some controversies like the anti-Semitic displays he usually has, and his portrayal of developing nations.

Recently, he has starred in the film Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, which I think would be banned in my country. :(

Comments?

Comments

• edited December 2006
    Unfortunately, I have to wait till I have enough free time to see it. Then maybe I can comment further.
  • edited December 2006
    I have only seen his "Ali G" show (or whatever that is) and it is really funny, but I don't know how he gets the interviews that he does, and how he gets through them without someone punching him!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2006
    Well, as far as I am aware, he came across so genuinely, that Americans were truly under the impression that they wre speaking to some third world ignoramus on a fact-finding mission.... The film company is now in the process of fending off several law suits from aggrieved Americans who felt they were duped into saying things, and behaving in a way they would normally not have ascribed to....
    Setting ALL political correctness aside, it is an uproarious film, poking fun at the two-faced, politically correct, inhibited social attitudes developped in a country purported to be a world leading power.... But it does leave a bit of a bitter taste in your mouth at the end of it all.... Even though I have only seen excerpts, and not the whole movie....
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited December 2006
    My wife and I both think his character is hilariously funny, and according to my wife, his portrayal of the less PC Eastern European mindset is spot-on, as is his accent!
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Ah, I am surprised that the film will be screened in my country after all! I guess the Board of Censorship would probably cut it to about five minutes and rate it Above-21 prior to its showing.... :p
  • edited December 2006
    It's 'cos I is black innit.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2006
    :lol: :bowdown:

Hya ZM!!
  • edited December 2006
    :wavey: Hey!
  • edited December 2006
    Hi ZM!!! :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I don't know what my problem is - but I have no desire to see Borat.

But, I have to admit, I just saw Talladega Nights and I absolutely loved it.

Thank you little, tiny, infant Lord baby Jesus - so tiny and cuddly yet still omnipotent - for using your baby Jesus power to make a movie like Talladega Nights.

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    I am not really interested in Borat either, but I did just add "Talledega Nights" to our Netflix Queue! I love Will Ferrell.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I had to buy it.

I was talking to a guy at work that is a NASCAR nut - and he is from Tennessee - he didn't think it was funny at all.

"I thought it was all stupid and stuff."

But how can you not like:

I like my Jesus to wear a tuxedo t-shirt, cuz I like to porty and like to think my Jesus like to porty too. Or I think of him with like giant angel wings and he like is singing lead vocals in Lynerd Skynerd and there is like a bunch of angels in the band playing and I'm in the front row just hammered drunk! -- Cal Naughton Jr.

-bf
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Unfortunately/fortunately, it has been ranked above 21 in my country.

No eyes for me!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    It does sound a lot funnier than Borat! Dern tootin'!

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    Well, I finally got to see it. My husband admitted that a few scenes were funny, but otherwise he was rather unimpressed and almost walked out several times. He's really sensitive to people being made fun of, which I must say is one of his good qualities. For me it was a rather guilty pleasure. It was hilarious and that guy has some balls. I can't believe he hasn't been shot. I felt sorry for some of the innocent bystanders and I would probably be ticked as hell if I had been in their shoes. Some people were really classy under pressure and they should be proud of themselves for keeping cool and trying to be helpful. But on the other hand, some of those people were really creeps and I can't help thinking that it's about time that the world sees them for who they really are. But then again, who am I to judge or even to say that that is how they "really are".

I'm glad I saw it, I will be thinking about it for a while, but I hope I never have to see it again.
  • edited September 2007
    I saw it and thought it was hillarious. I think I appreciated it better the first time around when I saw it. I think I have a soft spot for satire.