Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dr David Hawkins

TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existenceSamsara Veteran
edited August 2014 in Faith & Religion

Hey any advice on this guy? I have a fellow nurse I work with that seems to follow this guy. My friend seems to be well intentioned and has some distinctly Buddhist learnings but seems to heavily incorporate the teachings of this guy. I have read some of Hawkins book "Power and Force" given to me by friend, but I find his ideas border on absolutist fixed type thinking (he determine what is truth and falsehood) especially when it comes to his "calibrations" of people and things. These calibrations are deemed to be the Truth of people and events and it's this guy who has found this truth, he also determines where things fall on the scale. The scale is 1-1000, with folks like Buddha and Christ at 1000, along with Dr. Hawkins writings. He is now dead. I am not here to upset or provoke anyone but I am worried for my friend, who I think has much to offer and has a heart in the right place, but I find these teachings problematic to say the least, baseless (his "calibrations") and arising from an area of profound egotism (I alone determine truth) Is this a cult? I worry for my friend because whenever he makes a point he prefaces with "Dr Hawkins says"......

Comments

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

I downloaded an audiobook by him. The description of the book gave me the wrong impression, let's put it that way!

He's probably just another self-appointed guru with all the nonsense the rest of them have. Your friend will go great guns and then burn out, like most followers of gurus do. The best thing you can do is avoid trying to talk your friend OUT of his crush on Dr Hawkins, and when you are listening to him, ask open minded questions and let your friend discover for himself the foolishness and egocentricity.

Now I need to go and do some googling on this guy just out of curiosity.

Theswingisyellow
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

energygrid.com/spirit/2007/09ap-davidhawkins.html

I just found this article from 2007 -- quite 'unbiased', doesn't glorify him or attempt to decimate him, overly.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Hamsaka said:
    energygrid.com/spirit/2007/09ap-davidhawkins.html
    I just found this article from 2007 -- quite 'unbiased', doesn't glorify him or attempt to decimate him, overly.

"He also confusingly interchanges the terms truth, consciousness, vibration, frequency and energy on his 0 to 1000 calibration scale or map of consciousness, bringing absolute objectivity into perspectives generally considered subjective and relative."

[sigh] That does sound typically new-age.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

That's a looooong article, I only read half of it but it doesn't bode well for him.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2014

The scale is 1-1000, with folks like Buddha and Christ at 1000, along with Dr. Hawkins writings.

Hmmm.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Theswingisyellow said:
    Hey any advice on this guy? I have a fellow nurse I work with that seems to follow this guy. My friend seems to be well intentioned and has some distinctly Buddhist learnings but seems to heavily incorporate the teachings of this guy. I have read some of Hawkins book "Power and Force" given to me by friend, but I find his ideas border on absolutist fixed type thinking (he determine what is truth and falsehood) especially when it comes to his "calibrations" of people and things. These calibrations are deemed to be the Truth of people and events and it's this guy who has found this truth, he also determines where things fall on the scale. The scale is 1-1000, with folks like Buddha and Christ at 1000, along with Dr. Hawkins writings. He is now dead. I am not here to upset or provoke anyone but I am worried for my friend, who I think has much to offer and has a heart in the right place, but I find these teachings problematic to say the least, baseless (his "calibrations") and arising from an area of profound egotism (I alone determine truth) Is this a cult? I worry for my friend because whenever he makes a point he prefaces with "Dr Hawkins says"......

>

I'm afraid the kind of person I am, I'd interrupt at that point and say "Yeah, yeah, blah blah blah...." and make with the glove puppet with no glove puppet on.....

I'm sorry, if I hear crap, I have every right to record my displeasure and declare it crap. I have as much right to do that as they have to spout clap-trap.
    If they want to know why I think it's crap (which they probably would, at that point) I can then tell them.

• I hadn't heard of him before. But this bit reminds me of witch-finding techniques.

Central to Hawkins' philosophy is a simple arm muscle testing technique…

This muscle test itself involves two people, one lightly pushing down the outstretched arm of the other to determine the muscle resistance whilst the particular statement is being said. If the muscle resistance to the downward push is strong in comparison to the baseline resistance when no statement is being said, then the statement in question is believed to be objectively true.

Surely all that's being measured is whether the subject believes something to be true?

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited August 2014

@poptart That's kinda what I was thinking. There's no reason to suspect that it would be measuring objective truth, only physiological changes.

Victorious
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I would suggest that there comes a time when you put down the books and see for yourself whether the words these people publish stand the test of your investigation - yes or no?

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

These tests of Kinesology is as I understand them subjective tests. That is there purpose.

I have tried these in various configurations and subjectively speaking they really work well.

The theory and practical implementation actually work so good and is so reliable that I have incorporated some of it into my budo techniques. I.e. I am willing to risk my life on that these principals work.

But the way this man is using them are nothing I have encountered but only heard of before.

I cannot believe it until I have tried it. If I ever do I will let you know.

/Victor

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited August 2014

Thanks for everyone's advice and insight. I think this stuff is garbage and do believe my friend is wasting his efforts for such misguided theories but I will be patient and listen but I will put questions to him and hopefully get him to reason why he thinks the way he does.
    All the best,
    Todd

lobster
  • I think this stuff is garbage

That seems a reasonable assessment but don't tell Daffy . . . just be patient with the quacks . . .

Theswingisyellow