Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Moral Dilema

Living in the UK and seeing what our government is doing to instigate hostilities with Russia and countries in the Middle East places a moral dilemma in whether to speak out against them or not. I feel in some way that my silence makes me complicit but if I speak out then I’m running these people down. How is it possible to cultivate loving kindness and understanding when my government is responsible for so much pain, suffering, lies and manipulation in the world?

I don’t want to get into a political debate; I just would appreciate some feedback and thoughts about non-violent protesting and activism in general from a Buddhist perspective. Doing nothing is increasingly becoming not an option and I feel now that if I’m creating negative karma then so be it, it’s worth it, so that people see what is actually going on rather than believing the lies and brainwashing being told by the government and 'it's' media.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Disagreeing with someone does not have to involve "running them down".

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@UK_NMA

As I assume that you are not an ordained renunciate, I would think that being part of the political process to help others is a worthy activity.

Just treat it as part of your meditation practice so as to be mindful of where you might start developing attachments about this activity.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@UK_NMA, remember, "hate the deed, not the do-er". Condemn the actions, but be compassionate for the perpetrators.

One famous historical character once said: "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Follow suit. They are perpetuating their own Suffering - and that of others - through Ignorant actions.
    It's that simple.

lobsterJeffrey
  • Thanks for your responses.

Whats going on at the moment makes me so sad. I know it's my emotional attachment that is causing this but I just wish people would open their eyes and see what is actually going on. The world really is a grim place with suffering everywhere and the actions of these globalist led governments such as mine are only going to make life worse, far worse, before it ever gets better! I wish I could renounce it but know I've still got far too much to work through. I have a young family too and what are they going to inherit?!

I'll take on board all that you've said. Thank you!

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

What I've done (in this vein) is WHEN the subject comes up, I avoid trying to impress upon another person the 'correct' view, because Gawd knows I can't see the totality of it myself. It's a matter of asking important questions, that's my conclusion. To have a dialogue with another person where we are both asking questions and allowing the questions to influence us to entertain a greater context -- and then when context is corrected for -- the 'to do' list for ME becomes more evident.

That all sounds terribly organized and deliberate, and I'm definitely NOT, when it comes to these things. It's a lot more spontaneous.

I've lived long enough (for me anyway) to have lost my confidence that I know what's really going on, and that I know 'just what to do about it' (read: what other people should do about it, if they were smart like me).

So yes I feel quite antagonistic here and there, but I hold it lightly. It can radically change.

For instance, prior to Sept 11, 2001 I had NO concept of what the US, my home country, had done to meddle and manipulate in the greater world. I think it was a big education for all of us, because what in the world would justify the Twin Towers and the Pentagon? Well, nothing, even still -- but the point is, the US played/plays a part, a very UNinnocent part.

yagr
  • Hey buddy i live in the UK, & I'm well aware of all the corruption in our government/county councils/councils/royals & big corporations etc destroying the planet & trying to gain full control of us etc....If your aware like i am then well done for caring, & always remember actions speak louder than words....So you know what's going on, & will feel the need to do something about it all....So a couple of tips i learned the hard way is: Never tell anyone about anything who hasn't asked you first, because as you will become aware most people are totally oblivious or they do know but don't care....Also do what you can without ruining your own life, & do whatever you feel in your heart is the right thing to do....It's hard because once your aware of what's really going on doing nothing isn't an option any more, because doing nothing is aiding & abetting....So just do your bit (& for example) look at which corporations your supporting by buying their products etc, & don't buy anything on credit etc....Debt collectors have no power at all so tell people you know, same with the T.V license people (no powers at all)....For another example Council Tax summonses aren't real (they print them themselves to make money), so if you know someone who gets one advise them on how to fight it....So it's knowledge & not getting angry that will stop the corruption, & so gain some knowledge use it & pass it on.....That is more than what the majority are doing, & as you see your efforts working you will gradually stop feeling angry etc....Don't what ever you do let them get you down buddy, their the cowards who live in fear & so need full control, we're the bravehearts. :-)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2014

oh good grief....I've lived in the UK for over 50 years and 75% of the above post content - if not more - is paranoid crap.

Skeeterkb
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Instead of always feelings the need to do things, perhaps it is best to learn how to listen to whoever needs to have their voices heard. A lot of the violence is being perpetuated by crazy people with no respect for human life. Whether something should be done about and how, without using violence, is the hard part. There is nothing wrong with writing letters, being a voice for those that don't have one, protesting...but it is best if you do so with open ears, open heart and compassion. Not out of anger. The anger needs to be turned into something more productive before it can be useful.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@federica said:
    oh good grief....I've lived in the UK for over 50 years and 75% of the above post content - if not more - is paranoid crap.

Glad to hear that all those who are politically paranoid don't live just in the United States.

BunksSkeeterkb
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I live in the UK too!

And to quote George Orwell: 4 legs good 2 legs baaaaad

But likewise to quote him from the same book: 4 legs good, 2 legs better!

That's the beauty of human morality and perception, it can be distorted to suit needs, just don't get hung up on it...

Perhaps you would rather 'adam and eve' it otherwise...

...\ lol / ...

• Also do what you can without ruining your own life, & do whatever you feel in your heart is the right thing to do....

I would suggest that is the key.

Perhaps there are environmental issues that gel with you, grass root initiatives and activities making a difference in people's lives.

Do what you can and a big part of that is not being overwhelmed by waves when we are just a ripple . . .

:wave: .

Buddhadragon
  • @UK_NMA said:
    Living in the UK and seeing what our government is doing to instigate hostilities with Russia and countries in the Middle East places a moral dilemma in whether to speak out against them or not. I feel in some way that my silence makes me complicit but if I speak out then I’m running these people down. How is it possible to cultivate loving kindness and understanding when my government is responsible for so much pain, suffering, lies and manipulation in the world?

I don’t want to get into a political debate; I just would appreciate some feedback and thoughts about non-violent protesting and activism in general from a Buddhist perspective. Doing nothing is increasingly becoming not an option and I feel now that if I’m creating negative karma then so be it, it’s worth it, so that people see what is actually going on rather than believing the lies and brainwashing being told by the government and 'it's' media.

I don't know how the democratic system works in the UK, but can't you write to your representatives in the government, to tell them how you feel? You could organize a letter-writing campaign.

• Some monks who were captured by the Chinese said the thing they were most afraid of was losing their compassion. The reason is that you only spiral out into worse and worse mindsets if you lose it. Compassion is powerful to transform experience. So along that reasoning I would be a political activist maybe, but try to maintain compassion for ALL beings. If it's not for all beings it cannot transform the hell realm (anger).