Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

self

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited September 2014 in Buddhism Basics

what do you mean by self?

i think, before talk about non-self/not-self/self view it is necessary to start with self

Comments

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Self is an illusory image that is projected upon conscious awareness as a knowledgeable representation of a particular aspect of self-conscious being that assumes it is itself independent and separate from its origination, but can also come to know this fact about itself, and yet know it cannot know its true self in its entirety, and is frustrated by this, and yet seeks to determine itself as something other than it is.

• that question " what do you mean by self" IS an analysis of not-self in itself. Lets try to put together a definition of the self, then try to actually find "self" in any of it.

What makes us a "self"? our memories? our likes and dislikes? our connection to specific people, groups, and communities? or is it a metaphysical "soul" that somehow defined who we are from time immemorial and we just continue to be that "self".

My question is then.. where IS self is ANY of these? or is it a paper thin constructed illusion? Can you take any of the constituent parts that come together to define the "self" and see "self" in them? or is the self the greatest hoax we've ever constructed?

anatamanlobsterTheswingisyellow
  • that question " what do you mean by self" IS an analysis of not-self in itself.

Exactly so.

The self as mentioned is a convincing non entity. Look for it (you are meditating right!) Nothing.

There is no self.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited September 2014

@lobster said:
    There is no self.

Are you sure though?

If self must be unchanging I would agree but just because it cannot be found doesn't mean it isn't right here.

Another reason I think not-self is more conducive a teaching than no-self. No-self is misleading.

Let's try it with "mind". Mind cannot be found either but it wouldn't be right to say there is no mind. No thing is mind because mind isn't a thing and neither is self.

JeffreylobsterEarthninja
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

A chair has as much a self as anything. On that note, goodnight!

• My self is the one who did the laundry and wants a treat.

DavidlobsterEarthninjaDairyLama
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited September 2014

@AldrisTorvalds said:
    A chair has as much a self as anything. On that note, goodnight!

That's true but a chair has little potential to become self aware. Self awareness is a trap in a sense because it tricks us into thinking we are separate from the world instead of a bit of the world.

And of course denying the self seems to deny a unique view of the awakening world.

Nagarjuna expounding on the Two Truths really, finally put things into perspective for me on this.

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

Self is a constructed illusion albeit a helpful one.
    As with all things it is impermanent and not self, clinging to ones self constructed illusion will cause suffering.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Self: you are who you think you are, not what others perceive you to be.
    But you are also none of these things because there are too many selves you have to project, none of which are either genuine or constant.
    Simultaneously you are both isness and isn'tness.

vinlynEarthninja
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

The light can never shine on itself.
    The same way the observer can not observe itself. Therefore we can never see our True self.

Doesn't mean it doesn't exist. :)

• Another reason I think not-self is more conducive a teaching than no-self. No-self is misleading.

Yes. Quite right. These points might seem pedantic but your language is more skilful . . .

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2014

@Jayantha said:
    What makes us a "self"? our memories? our likes and dislikes?

I think it's largely memories and habits. Imagine waking up one day with complete memory loss, what would be left?

Er...who, what, where? ;)

Earthninja
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I think of it as "I,me,my making."