Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interesting op-ed about global warming

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2014/09/01/good-news-for-polar-bears-bad-news-for-al-gore-warming/

Comes down pretty hard on Al Gore, but remains balanced about the overall topic.

sndymorn

Comments

• Article seems completely devoid of any science, and opens with quite a lot of emotion.

Chaz
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

It's more about the political aspect of the topic.

Chaz
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

And that's a big problem -- that this issue has been politicized. Getting updated and accurate information about global climate 'change' or 'fluctuations' or whatever ought to be as simple as reading the reports or having them interpreted for us by a journalist or high school science teacher. It's not.

Being concerned about climate change is enough to get laughed at and ignored. Actual information is lost behind THIS kind of op-ed as much as the machinations of the Goron.

@Hamsaka said:
    And that's a big problem -- that this issue has been politicized. Getting updated and accurate information about global climate 'change' or 'fluctuations' or whatever ought to be as simple as reading the reports or having them interpreted for us by a journalist or high school science teacher. It's not.

Being concerned about climate change is enough to get laughed at and ignored. Actual information is lost behind THIS kind of op-ed as much as the machinations of the Goron.

Without political clout, nothing will get done.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You trust 'political clout'....? :scratch: .

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I voted for Tony Blair. Humph.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

...And he's just won the "Philanthropist of the Year" Award. WT actual F....?!

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Talk about smarmy!

Whether you like politics or not, nothing else can muster the legal framework or funds to tackle such an issue.

And if you really don't understand that, then you're not a realist at all. And when I say "you", I'm using that term in general.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited September 2014

@vinlyn said:
    Whether you like politics or not, nothing else can muster the legal framework or funds to tackle such an issue.

And if you really don't understand that, then you're not a realist at all. And when I say "you", I'm using that term in general.

I agree. At the exact same time, in my heart/mind exists a contradiction. Politics are 'necessary' as a kind of fuel or mechanism for change AND Politics hopelessly (well, much of the time) muddy the waters and obscure the clarity of fact(s) which we desperately need to observe and plan from.

We humans seem to respond best by being jerked around by our short-hairs (pubic hairs for non-native English speakers lol). It's true for me, I admit. A good sharp yank is an effective way to get me to pay attention. Grab me by my suffering, and I'm capable of great energy for the purpose of change.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I think amongst scientists, if not the politico's, there is are regular acknowledgements that the exact outcomes of climate change are fairly uncertain. The focus of the article seems to be saying that... "But it could be that in order to get us to believe that the world is warming a bit, we’ve been told that it is melting."

I think though that the general tone of the article demeans and belittles the pro climate change side, so even though I think the words are true, in effect the article sides against climate change.